Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Mike and im from Omaha,Nebr. i am planning on purchasing a 1988 Toyota Supra this weekend.

1988 Toyota Supra turbo
Automatic w/ overdrive
80K miles all original
needs lots of body work
Doesnt have LSD
White ext/ red int
Hard top/doesnt have t-tops

Heres the down low on this car:
It sat outside for the nebraska elements most of its life, so it has rust on the both the doors and the front passenger fender.
There is NO rust on the dog legs or anywhere else on the car.
its an automatic with 80K orignal miles. The motor is all stock except HKS superflow intake and HKS catback w/o a muffler

The interior is clean the dash isnt cracked, the seats are not torn, its just needs a good cleaning job

So im buying this car for basically the body work side because thats what i do

But the first question im asking you guys is this a good buy for 550 dollars?

Next question:
When he started it up a lot of smoke came out the back because it had been siting a long time and also some smoke poured out/around the turbo?

what was that caused from?

it also dumped a little smoke from/around the turbo after the test drive?

it didnt puff any smoke out the rear when he got on it so?

If it is the turbo how much is it to replace it?

Next question?
it doesnt have limited slip so how hard is it to put one in? Can i find one off a different car and put it back there?

Next question:
How hard/easy are these cars to mod? Is it expensive?

thanks for your input guys

Mike Glissman

W

·
0 Posts
hehe i had to put that... anyways.. sounds like a great buy... you can search for the mods and all that stuff... thats mostly what we talk about on here so it shouldnt be too hard to find.... and if you can find an lsd you can just swap it in.. and for the turbo.... search to find some good info but it sounds like the seals are goin bad... that will cause it sto burn oil like that... you can find them used cheap...

A

·
0 Posts
It's not possible that it doesn't have an LSD - They were standard on all Turbo MKIII (Mark 3) Supra's - The clutch packs might be worn out, ands thus why it doesn't "seem" to have an LSD - But it should, unless it's an abortion of a MKIII ;)

A good condition, used stock turbo will probably run you USD$300.

Sounds like the stem seals/valve guides are dried out, so if you want to fix it, you'll need that plus the valve cover gaskets, not too much coin.

As for the smke around the turbo, look at the valve cover gaskets I've just mentioned - It could very well be oil leaking from there down onto the exhaust manifold and burning up - It could also be a leaking oil fitting to/from the turbo, another common problem - If it isn't smoking out the rear, it's probably just an oil leak burning somewhere, so the turbo could very well be okay.

HTH,
amorak

·
Registered
217 Posts
or the cats are just clogged and it was just trying to clear it out... t depends on what kind of smoke black is just the cats trying to clear out or blue w/ u dont want to have b/c its buring oil or white it running rich (or the other way around??) and its a auto for 550?? u got urself a steal just do the engine swap and tranny swap and u got urself a nice 7m (body rust is nothing if its on the chassis get it off asap or it will take over ur car like cancer) alright man hope u become a supra owner peace and goodluck

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
You can't go wrong for $550. Even if you can't fix it, you can always sell it for more then you paid for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts