Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fast with Class
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, previous owner boost almighty took the car to some shop and had them install the 8000K HID kit. All hi beams, low beams, and fog were replaced with 8000K HIDs. Now, here in lies the problem i need help resolving.

Now, i was hoping someone would know how they possible have this car wired. Here's the thing...when you turn the headlights ON w/the stock lever, EVERYTHING COMES ON! Hi, lo, AND fogs all at once! BUT...the problem was....on the driver side headlight, the low beam and foglight would come on, but the HI beam wouldnt turn on at all, and the passenger side headlight, the fog light and high beam would come on, but the low beam would turn on then fizzle out. I figured out the problem is that the one high beam ballast is bad when i switched them around (i put the hi beam that lit up's ballast on the one that didnt light up, then it lit, so i elimated that problem).

So, ill just get a new ballast. But, why would this stupid shop wire everything so EVERY LIGHT lights up? even the hi beams at ALL times? you cant switch the high beams on or off or the fogs on or off, its flip once to turn parking lights on, then flip again and they ALL come on. Cant turn the high beams or foglights off at all via the factory switch.

Does anyone know how this goofy shop could have had this wired? ANY and ALL help is appreciated, i have the high beams just unplugged for now until i figure this out or get help lol

thanks a lot!

- Christian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are there any relays installed before the ballats? It's really hard to say how they wired it without much more info or pics...

Maybe they just tapped it all into the low beam ON ?

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
is the high beam indicator turned on on your gauge cluster ? what happens when you turn the high beams on, does the indicator comes on when you switch it to the on position?

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
They probably tapped the power for the high beams from the low beam wiring.
Easily correctable, not sure why they'd do that though.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm guessing these relays are connected to an aftermarket wiring harness,those harnesses are probably wired incorrectly. Hopefully the shop didn't chop off the factory bulb connectors,if they're still there take the harnesses out and use normal bulbs to test (9006 low,9005 high,H3 fog).

AFAIK Supras use a ground-switched headlight system like other Toyotas. That shop probably triggered the relays using the the low/high beam common positive source,which is why all lights are on at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I sell HID conversion kits and sometimes customers have issues with hacked up wiring like yours... since it's an issue more often than not, I also just wire harnesses.

http://www.mobilehid.com - check it out! ;)

Lemme know if you need any special harnesses - sales AT mobilehid.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts