Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so when I put my HID's STRAIGHT to the battery they light up just fine.
When I put the power/ground wire from the HID connection into the stock plug connector for the low beam lights they dont work, but when I connect the stock plug back into the low beam light (have regular 55W lights in there) it works just fine.

I thought it could have been my battery from sitting so long, but its not since when you put the HID connection directly to the battery it lights up fine.
The stock plug is getting both power and ground since the stock headlight works when you plug it into the stock bulb. I also checked the stock plug for continuity and its getting power and ground.

Any ideas?
Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
534 Posts
polarity? I connected my ballast the wrong way and it didn't work. hooked it up the other way and it worked. to be safe, you might want to use a fused relay wiring harness.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i checked the stock connector to see what part was the power and what was the ground. I connected the battery, disconnected the stock plug from the stock plug, used a continuity tester, pushed one end into the stock plug then touched it to a ground. It lit up so I knew that was the positive terminal.
Definitely not new at testing circuits and such, but thanks for the tip.

I even put one end of the HID (pos OR neg) into the stock plug then put the other end straight to the battery to see if it would like. Did this both ways and nothing.

Anyone else?

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
you need a relay kit for hids in a supra. stock grounds are very weak also. this cured many issues with adding a realy kit to the hids instead of plug and play. also a earth kit helped out even more for the lights and other things.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found the prob, ended up being the battery. I charged it overnight and viola, they worked.
thanks for the help guys, and i might look into one of those earth kits. Any idea where I can get it?
thanks

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
make your own. grab some 10 awg wire and somering terminals and do a search here to see some of the key ground points.those earth kits are nice but very pricey....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts