Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the HID kits you see on websites like HID Express and Lavalighting and the replacement bulbs sold individually like Silverstars. I am looking to get new lights to go with the new Glass Headlights I bought but I don't understand the difference between paying $500 for a complete kit or just replacing my bulbs. Someone please help explain to me.

·
2 RiCh 4 Ur bLooD...SuPrA
601 Posts
hids use their own special ballast (power source), and the bulbs actually are matched perfectly to work with these ballasts to give off high intensity discharge lol. the bulbs are of higher technology then normal bulbs you can buy at local shops for a few bucks. so a bulb like silverstar is not up to par with a hid bulb.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
95TT4JJ said:
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the HID kits you see on websites like HID Express and Lavalighting and the replacement bulbs sold individually like Silverstars. I am looking to get new lights to go with the new Glass Headlights I bought but I don't understand the difference between paying $500 for a complete kit or just replacing my bulbs. Someone please help explain to me.
Wouldnt it be easier to search how HIDs work on the internet versus posting here?
Or even try calling those companies and ask them...they should know...they specialize in HIDs.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight Gangsta. I just wanted to make sure if I spent $500 bucks or so on a kit that it was well worth it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S14roller, If you don't have anything helpful to say then why say anything at all. My question was for people who don't mind helping me out. I already did search the internet as well as read many posts on this site and while many people praise the kits, there are some who say these bulbs like Silverstars are just as good. That is why I was hoping to get some real feedback from people who have both.

·
11,221 Posts
95TT4JJ said:
Thanks for the insight Gangsta. I just wanted to make sure if I spent $500 bucks or so on a kit that it was well worth it.
Oh it's well worth it bro, wish I have the spare money for it. Right now Silverstars will do.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i posted this a little while ago. compare the wannabes with the real hids. i am happy with them for the meantime but will probably upgrade to the real hids in the future. hopefully mvp can start selling them again, or else i'll want retros.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=264880

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
95TT4JJ said:
S14roller, If you don't have anything helpful to say then why say anything at all. My question was for people who don't mind helping me out. I already did search the internet as well as read many posts on this site and while many people praise the kits, there are some who say these bulbs like Silverstars are just as good. That is why I was hoping to get some real feedback from people who have both.
I'm trying to help the forum for people who need to do research and read about Supra specific topics...maybe you noticed our forum being down during high traffic hours...
If you try to find out how HIDs work (which can be found on the internet and is NOT supra specific), it would likely help save bandwidth on SF.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
I hate fake.. I always can tell when I look at it but some people cant tell...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
S14Roller,
If you would have read what I typed I specifically said that I had looked at many sites on the internet that sold both types. I was mainly looking for opinions of SUPRA owners in regards to both types. As far as I am concerned, my question was SUPRA specific since I am definitely not considering putting HID's on my Mustang. Don't blame me for asking a question and saying how I am taking up bandwith. Why don't you consider asking the moderators to take some of the NON SUPRA specific stuff off this site like the OFF TOPIC area. What does that have to do with a supra anyways????? Why don't you go flame everyone who posts in the section for taking up precious bandwith.

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
95TT calm down, S14roller does have a point. You could have looked around for the answer but im glad that you got an answer here.

I personally ahve HIDs and i LOVE them! Well worth the price. BTW, what part of Richmond do you live?

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
95TT, how is "the difference between the HID kits you see on websites like HID Express and Lavalighting and the replacement bulbs sold individually like Silverstars" Supra specific? The same difference would apply to a Mustang regarding how the light output is. The Q purely is how is bulbs different than HIDs...the difference will be the same on any car.
In any case, I'm glad you got your answer.

OT but 97TDawg, thanks for taking care of the other posts in the MKIV section regarding the Supraphat newbie

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
i have had the Silverstars, and i now have HIDs, there is no comparison between the two if you are talking about road visibility. you wont regret getting the HIDs

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Random question to y'all. When you guys say HID's when speaking(not on the internet) do you guys say HIDs as a word or H.I.D's as abbreviations?

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
Random question to y'all. When you guys say HID's when speaking(not on the internet) do you guys say HIDs as a word or H.I.D's as abbreviations?
I cant speak for everyone but when I speak I say H. I. D.s

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
97 Dawg..... I live in Chesterfield. Off Hull St and Bailey's Bridge Road.

S14..... How is my question supra specific? Well, like I said it was concerning lights for my supra, that is why. My point is everytime someone asks for an answer to a question or opinion, people like you chime in with your two cents that doesn't even answer their question. It would have been easier for you to just not even bother to post anything if you couldn't help me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts