Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the stock TT headlights (plastic) are projectors, if an aftermarket set of HIDs are installed will they function like the stock units on newer cars equipt with xenons or will it still be scattered shadowy light just like the halogens?

· 1995 TT 6spd
381 Posts
it will be a little scattered but not bad. i don't even notice it on my supra with the kits i sell and run on all my cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will be a little scattered but not bad. i don't even notice it on my supra with the kits i sell and run on all my cars.
I just want function over fashion not some silver star blue LOOK, I want better visability as well. How much do good kits go for for this car? Will it work if I go glass lamps?

· Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,480 Posts
The light pattern of the projectors in the headlights is decent; installing a set of HID's will throw a lot of light on the ground. I run a set of 6000K HID's in my low beam projectors and my fog light projectors.

I would like to note that I started out with a set of glass euro headlights, and later bought a set of 98 headlights b/c I grew tired of everyone giving me shit about having the "cheap" headlights. I installed a brand new set of euro's in my car, along with the 6000K HID's at the same time. A year later, I swapped in the 98's. The beam pattern on the euro headlights was significantly better than the 98's. The beam was more focused with a cut-off more pronounced on the euro headlights, and the light dispersion on the ground was a lot better. So much more so, that I'm considering buying another set of euros, and disassembling them to paint the inner housings argent like the 98's.

Long story short, yes, a good quality set of 6000K HID's will be a significant improvement over stock halogen bulbs.

· My Own "Carbon Fiber Guy"
2,671 Posts
The light pattern of the projectors in the headlights is decent; installing a set of HID's will throw a lot of light on the ground. I run a set of 6000K HID's in my low beam projectors and my fog light projectors.

I would like to note that I started out with a set of glass euro headlights, and later bought a set of 98 headlights b/c I grew tired of everyone giving me shit about having the "cheap" headlights. I installed a brand new set of euro's in my car, along with the 6000K HID's at the same time. A year later, I swapped in the 98's. The beam pattern on the euro headlights was significantly better than the 98's. The beam was more focused with a cut-off more pronounced on the euro headlights, and the light dispersion on the ground was a lot better. So much more so, that I'm considering buying another set of euros, and disassembling them to paint the inner housings argent like the 98's.

Long story short, yes, a good quality set of 6000K HID's will be a significant improvement over stock halogen bulbs.

Why not just pull the glass off the Euro head lights and put them on your '98 head lights. It would look like the stock '98 head lights but with glass. That would be sweet!

3,480 Posts
Why not just pull the glass off the Euro head lights and put them on your '98 head lights. It would look like the stock '98 head lights but with glass. That would be sweet!
Well you could do that, but I was actually referring to the differences in the projectors themselves. There are clearly differences between the two.

The glass lense would be awesome to have as it would keep the headlights looking nicer...

3,480 Posts
Did you guys see the thread of an aussie who made a test set of glass lenses to replace the plastic lenses? He was inquiring about people's interest in them... It was in the exterior/detailing section I believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.