Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was curious about HID's and the different manufacturers and companies that make them.

one company i know is XENON. my friend with the supra bought a pair of HID's 6000k for $300. that seems to be a lot cheaper than other kits ($400-500)?

any feedbacks on XENON HID kits? are they just as good or are they not as good as other brands?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much better is the philips than the others? how do XENON's compare?

thanks again :)

they make HID's for FOG lights too right? just get another set of HID's and get the bulbs for them?

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
1,513 Posts
Main difference beween HIDs and Xenon lights is how the bulbs are made. Xenon bulbs are just ones filled with Xenon gas and has two probes in it, when turned on, an electric current goes thru one probe, and then Xenon, being a noble gas with 8 electrons, the current ignits it and then goes to the other probe, creating complete ciruit. HID bulbs, some have up to a 50-70% of actual Xenon gas in it, but has a filament that the current goes thru and that heats up and ignites however much of the Xenon is present.

Simply said- Xenon bulbs have no gas and HIDs do.
Thats how I can explain it using my 11th grade vocab ;)

Chris

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the DETAILED explanation of the two different bulbs... but XENON makes an HID kit.

the main question was performance, are the XENON hid kits similar to PHiliPS? thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've never seen Xenon kits, so I can't tell you if they're better or not. However, Phillips does not make a retrofit HID kit. They do make components, and various firms put together their HID kits using Phillips components. I would wonder who makes the ballasts and the bulbs for the Xenon HID kits.

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
1,513 Posts
oops my bad, I must of read it wrong I thought you were comparing Xenon systems and HID kits

·
Registered
730 Posts
LMBLF8 said:
Main difference beween HIDs and Xenon lights is how the bulbs are made. Xenon bulbs are just ones filled with Xenon gas and has two probes in it, when turned on, an electric current goes thru one probe, and then Xenon, being a noble gas with 8 electrons, the current ignits it and then goes to the other probe, creating complete ciruit. HID bulbs, some have up to a 50-70% of actual Xenon gas in it, but has a filament that the current goes thru and that heats up and ignites however much of the Xenon is present.

Simply said- Xenon bulbs have no gas and HIDs do.
Thats how I can explain it using my 11th grade vocab ;)

Chris

ACTUALLY....
There is no ignition of the gas. If there were any ignition, the bulbs would explode. Because it is a noble gas, it is more stable than other gasses and therefore doesn't ignite. What happens is the electricity passing through the gasses excites the valence electrons to a higher energy state by absorbing the electric energy. When the electrons return to the original state, the absorbed energy which elevated them to the higher energy state is released in the form of light. It's a highly efficient process.

:cool:

·
Pimpin it hard
313 Posts
RScott said:
ACTUALLY....
There is no ignition of the gas. If there were any ignition, the bulbs would explode. Because it is a noble gas, it is more stable than other gasses and therefore doesn't ignite. What happens is the electricity passing through the gasses excites the valence electrons to a higher energy state by absorbing the electric energy. When the electrons return to the original state, the absorbed energy which elevated them to the higher energy state is released in the form of light. It's a highly efficient process.

Agreed, I was wondering what the heck the first guy was talking about.

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
1,513 Posts
RScott said:
ACTUALLY....

heh heh, you definately said it better and more accuratley than me. I just had a flash back, back to physics when i read about the higher energy state and then i remembered "photon", the light that is emitted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts