Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to bring to the attention of you guys that cut the tab and run the 9005 high beam bulbs in your low beam housings.

My car came with this mod, and on a recent set of resealed and polished 98 lights on my car, after a BAD rain, I had severe condensation in my lights. I didn't think it could be the seal cuz none of my seals EVER leak, but I was open to the possiblity. Took the lights out and tested them with air pressure. With the aeration holes plugged, and shooting air through the housing, it turned out the ONLY place that wasn't air-tight was the low beam hole with the bulb installed.

SO, if you have the high beam bulbs in the low beam housing, their inner diameter DOES NOT completely cover the low beam housing hole. Air and water can still get through, because the inner diameter on the 9005 is smaller that the 9006. So, if any of you are getting condensation in your headlights, it's probably from water getting in through your LOW-beam hole, just like mine did. Thanks guys.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Thanks Mark :) Good info.

I have my fogs unplugged I guess I need to plug them in ASAP bc water is probably getting inside there. CRAP!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bringing this thread back if people missed it. I was recently contacted by a member regarding this problem.

·
11,221 Posts
Wow... really??? I've never had a problem much, but then again I never drive my car in the rain (maybe like once since owned it).

I don't drive at night much anyways. Maybe I'll switch back to the 06's.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i didnt even know the high beam bulbs fit into the low beam housing, i think i tried when i was taking the headlights apart, i dont know, but good catch mark, looks like i wont be doing that mod, unless i use some sealant :)

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
I've personally never had a problem but see where it could be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts