Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just got myself a virtual works manifold, greddy 4-row and SARD 1000cc injectors to accompany my T51R so methinks it's time to say bye bye to my SSQV.

I toyed with the idea of getting a second one, but with the fact HKS discontinued the SSQV with the adjustment bolt, and that is what I have, I'm not going to buy another two of them. Plus I have to buy another flange anyway, as my old cooler piping was steel.

So far it's looking like HKS Type 2 Racing BOV or the TIAL. Looking for any pros/cons on these two bovs, or any other recomendations.

Asked on the Aus forums but all I seem to be getting is people telling me to plumb it back for emissions, which is never going to happen as an Atmo BOV is legal where I live.

Thanks.

Dan.

·
V-DUB Tuner
168 Posts
I've heard that the tial and the turboxs rfl are both VERY good for high boost/power (900whp) applications. I've talked to/seen a bunch of people running both and never heard complaints. I don't have any experience with the HKS though.

I would go with the TurboXS RFL...i love the way it sounds. If you want a good sound clip...head over to visionboy.com and download a video with the lexus IS300 in it.

S

·
0 Posts
I will agree. the RFL sounds SEXY. It's very loud and it sounds amazing. We are using it on our turbo honda. Granted, it's a mildly built cammed SOHC running medium boost and high compression, but it's loud enough venting 8 psi. Think about 30 psi :)

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Spotabee Racing said:
ever considered TurboXS RFL?
your joking right? that thing wouldnt work on my evo, i would never trust it on an apu supra

just get a Tial... ask around the shop forums, majority will recomend the same...

it has a nice clean non ricey sound and performs amazingly (just make sure you select the correct spring)

btw... the Tial blow off valve is Vband and has been proven to handle 80+ psi... the turboxs uses some ghetto flange with screws and tends to fail around 30psi

T

·
0 Posts
which tial spring is recommended for a single turbo then? 16psi during the week, 30psi on weekends?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Spotabee Racing said:
ever considered TurboXS RFL?
Garbage, i have a couple on the shelve waiting to go in this week's garbage. Not sure if they redesigned it but it seems the older ones had problems with the valves getting stuck open thus leaking boost.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Tial or one of the replica tials floating around at the moment, i've seen the replica's, they're very well made and totally reliable at high boost.

Sorry to go off topic Dan, but when you were still using your stock 440's, what fuel pump/s were you using? what lines? stock FPR?

Cheers

Gene

·
1,026 Posts
The TurboXS RFL is only rated to hold 25psi, so I defintely wouldn't reccomend it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Garon said:
The TurboXS RFL is only rated to hold 25psi, so I defintely wouldn't reccomend it.

or you can pile in more washers to tighen it up.lol lol txs rfl = boost leak.
the tial unit is a very good choice.even the godzilla turbonectics isnt too bad.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
The tial's not bad and the HKS Racing isnt bad either. Both have a similair woooosh sounds without the high pitched scream of the SSQBOV.

Match spring tension for vacuum pressure with the tial. Thus lower lift cams and higher lift cams will provide different vacuum levels at idle, etc.. 9psi and 11 psi are the most common spring rates I use. Also I keep all this stuff in stock if you need one or the other.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want to discuss what will work best for your application as I am short on time to post anything further.

Thanks

Ben

P.s. the Turbo XS product is total garbage.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Obiwan said:
The tial's not bad and the HKS Racing isnt bad either. Both have a similair woooosh sounds without the high pitched scream of the SSQBOV.

Match spring tension for vacuum pressure with the tial. Thus lower lift cams and higher lift cams will provide different vacuum levels at idle, etc.. 9psi and 11 psi are the most common spring rates I use. Also I keep all this stuff in stock if you need one or the other.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want to discuss what will work best for your application as I am short on time to post anything further.

Thanks

Ben

P.s. the Turbo XS product is total garbage.
:agreed:

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
I have had the tial for about 6 months now and holds everything I throw at it. I think it sounds perfect. I dont like the loud bov's.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
how's the Greddy type R?

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
HKS Type II ! or anything but the Greddy type R.

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mmm, honestly I love the slight flutter I get out of the SSQV now, not a fan of the PSHT blow off valves. But whatever does the job.

Dan.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
hks type 2 is good, holds loads of boost as well.

Just make sure it doesn't leak around the o-ring.
We pressure tested the intercooler setup on the supra, and it leaked around the seal at just 1psi.
We used some toyota FIPG to form a new seal, no problems since.

I've heard good things about the tial as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts