Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonite, I dropped by the local import/street scene hangout. I sometimes drop in to see what cars are there and to talk with some of the "Rice Boys" as I refer to them. By no means am I trying to be deragatory, I just couldn't think of any other term to refer to them as, so it's the term I use..all in good fun! I'm always happy to answer questions about the Supra, pop the hood, let people sit in it etc..if I can make some car enthusiasts' day by showing them the Supra, I'm happy about it. (FWIW, Supras are rare in the US, but even more so in Canada...It was my understandign that fewer than 25 per year were sold here). One guy whom I've spoken to before asked to snap a few pictures of my car. As usual, I had no problem with it. He said "Everytime I see your car, it's always so clean ande nice". I told him that there are alot of expectation for when people look at a Supra, and it's my responsibility to make sure my car is clean so the person looking at it has a positive experience. He looked at me like I just fell off the turnip truck. I went on to explain that since Supras are so rare and hard to come by imagine what a horrible experience it would be if my car was dirty, unkempt or ill-maintained. I have an obligation to keep this special car looking great so everyone will enjoy looking at it. I'm a car nut, and believe me..I remember the 1st time I saw certain cars. And those memories are with me to this day. C'mon...you know what I'm talking about! You remember the 1st time you saw a Ferrari or a Lambo driving around? Or maybe it was some 60's musclecar like a Hemi Superbird or something. Maybe it's some dream car or bike you've always wanted to own, and you finally get to see one driving around. You remember the sounds, the colour, the moment! Well, as a Supra owner, I definitely think the Supra falls into the category of a special car. And it's very possible that when someone lays eyes on my Supra it's the 1st time they've ever seen a Supra in the "real", not in a photo. And it's also possible that this might be the last time they ever see a Supra in the flesh too. So I have to make sure that the car is clean, and that THIS will be the image of "Supra" that is burned into their mind for the rest of their lives. I have to make sure it's everything they thought it would be. I have to properly represent this car as it deserves to be. Does this sound corny? Are there other car nuts out there who think like me? Or do others feel they have some special expectation or obligation to owning a Supra. Just curious what you guys think....

· Supraddict
1,745 Posts
Generally you'll find that most MKIV owners, whether first or second or third owners, are of the same mindset, as seen by the number of super clean cars on this site with perfect paint and polished everything. I think the MKIV community is a nice mix of function and form, the cars look great and perform. Still, there are some beat up MKIVs out there....I've seen a few and they were all bought obviously for the image...it might still impress kids and ricers, but to everyone else its disappointing.

· Filmmaker
4,985 Posts
I love driving my car too much to wash it all the time lol. But now that im gonna have less time to drive it, Im gonna only take it out on really nice days, and to shows so im gonna make sure shes nice :). But I mean I clocked 10k miles on her in less then a year my first year of owning her.

Matt

· Fan of Stock Twins
298 Posts
RRocket-
I agree with you, 100%.

· Greddy T78
534 Posts
I agree also, keep it nice and clean always :)
You might go a little to far with all the

"THIS will be the image of "Supra" that is burned into their mind for the rest of their lives"

But i know what you mean, and i feel about the same way.
:)

· 2JZ yes shit
1,208 Posts
I feel the exact same way. When I saw my first supra in real life after 4 years of loving the car, that day was burned into my mind for life. The car had perfect paint, amazing wheels, and was clean as hell. I don't go to hangouts with a dirty car. I make sure it's been waxed in the last month, washed, and detailed with Meguiars QuikDetailer before I leave. You have a big name to represent, especially now that there are supra videos all over streetfire, etc, so you have to feel obligated to make sure the car looks its best as often as possible.

· Cheifbootknocka
2,117 Posts
Same goes for me, as true with any real car enthusiast IMO

· Registered
3,997 Posts
I seriously wash my car 3 times a week to keep it clean since it's black and my daily. I refuse to have my car dirty or looking bad. I started to do minor body work before I hit the engine up with mods just so my car will look good. It has come a long way, but still have a bit more work.

....My supra is a lot cleaner than my room.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's nice to know I'm not the only one!!!!

· Phantasm
1,236 Posts
im sorry, but i bought my mkiv for speed and to drive the shit out of it. i put 32,000 miles on it in 2.5 years. 6 months it was down. i dont go cheap on performance, or wheels..... but i also dont wash it and wax it everyday. i dont really care what people think about my car. most still say its clean, but im sure some of you would kinda laugh. like i said i drive my car alot, and i drive the piss out of it. if it isnt to make it faster or to keep it running tip top, i really dont care. thats why i got a silver one :)

· Yes, brothers own Supras
2,628 Posts
killsls1's said:
im sorry, but i bought my mkiv for speed and to drive the shit out of it. i put 32,000 miles on it in 2.5 years. 6 months it was down. i dont go cheap on performance, or wheels..... but i also dont wash it and wax it everyday. i dont really care what people think about my car. most still say its clean, but im sure some of you would kinda laugh. like i said i drive my car alot, and i drive the piss out of it. if it isnt to make it faster or to keep it running tip top, i really dont care. thats why i got a silver one :)
Hmm...I put 40k miles on my car in 2 yrs. I take it to the track and run it hard on the street. I run meth so my daily driving boost levels are about 26 psi or so. That being said my car is ALWAYS clean for the most part. I dont like being seen out with a dirty car since its a reflection of me. I also work 16 hrs a day 5 days a week so its not like I have alot of time either.

· Premium Member
22,403 Posts
I like keeping my car clean, but I bought the car for me, not for anyone else. I enjoy driving it, not showing it off or anything, and I could care less how someone thinks of me becaue my car is dirty. I try to keep it clean, but that's not always the case. As long as it performs like a Supra should, though, that's all that matters to me.

· Banned
666 Posts
Personally, I don't enjoy "showing" my car. I avoid ricer conventions, I've been to a few but basically it's not really about cars but boils down to my dick is bigger than yours, etc.

I enjoy the car the most when I'm boosting by myself or with my girlfriend or friends, or when I'm working on it by myself or with friends. I keep my car clean and nice because it's how I want it. I don't care much what other people think. It's my car, I bought it for myself, not to impress or be envied by others.

· I Solve Problems
7,261 Posts
satan_srv said:
Mine's often dirty, because I could hardly care what other people think of my car.
How about taking pride in maintaining something you own. It has nothing to do with caring what other people think. So does that mean you don't clean your house or clothing either?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.