Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone recommend a high flow cat that will pass CA emissions?

Ting

·
Registered
347 Posts
Random Technology makes nice stainless steel high flow cats but I can't say whether or not they'd pass CA emissions. I assume they would.

G

·
0 Posts
I passed pretty easily with a Random Tech 9000 series cat. I failed the visual inspection though. I was quite obviously using only 1 cat when two were required.

S

·
0 Posts
go to suprastore.com they make a high flow down pipe with one cat and it will pass emisions in ca. Hey, where did you buy that carbon fiber hood?:cool:

M

·
0 Posts
greensoup2 said:
I passed pretty easily with a Random Tech 9000 series cat. I failed the visual inspection though. I was quite obviously using only 1 cat when two were required.
You went to a sucky place then. :D I've never had a problem with a single cat inspection on any of my cars.

H

·
0 Posts
I'm using custome 3" cat from a Chevy truck and haven't had any problem with it so far.:D
No performance lose either.......

B

·
0 Posts
If you are using an aftermarket cat that has a CARB E.O. number, and the tailpipe emissions are in range, then you should pass. Even though supra's came with 2 cats, you can still replace the system with a single cat (with E.O.). This is the case in CA, and the basic concept should be the same for the other 49 states. There are prohibitions on removing functional cats though, so make sure you have your story straight when you get your car inspected.

Bob

S

·
0 Posts
So bob, do u know any brand's dp and cat have E.O. #? How much is the fine if i get caught running w/o cats? In CA , of course.

G

·
0 Posts
Bob said:
If you are using an aftermarket cat that has a CARB E.O. number, and the tailpipe emissions are in range, then you should pass. Even though supra's came with 2 cats, you can still replace the system with a single cat (with E.O.). This is the case in CA, and the basic concept should be the same for the other 49 states. There are prohibitions on removing functional cats though, so make sure you have your story straight when you get your car inspected.

Bob
This isn't true. If your car came with two cats you need two cats on the car. I had a carb EO number. It was a street legal replacement cat. They looked up the rules and it said if your car came originally with two you are not allowed to replace them with only one.

The reason I got caught was that the Random Tech system places the cat up inside by the turbos but uses a straight pipe under the car. When he looked under the car he could see the O2 but there was no cat.

B

·
0 Posts
This isn't true. If your car came with two cats you need two cats on the car. I had a carb EO number. It was a street legal replacement cat. They looked up the rules and it said if your car came originally with two you are not allowed to replace them with only one.
That's interesting, as I also have the Random single cat system on my car, and it passed inspection after I provided the tech with the EO number. Did the tech show you the rule that states that a 2 cat system must be repaired 2 for 2?

Bob

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
I'm afraid that my vitamines don't do the job anymore, well, I'm talking about my failing memory.

I think that I've seen a post that visual smog inspection was changing Jan 02 to include requirement for 2 cats. Unfortunately we still cannot run a search on posts dates prior to March 14th.

I guess the best bet would be to call the Calif AQMD or whatever they're called (the agengy/dept that regulates smog stuff).

Jay

G

·
0 Posts
boostin97TT said:
So what was the outcome of the failed visual inspection? I have the Random setup too....

-E
I went home and bolted up the second cat instead of the straight pipe. Passed easily the second time so it cost me $40 extra plus about 3 hours.

I personally did not read the regulation but they did verify my carb number and then 2 or 3 of them reviewed it.

If you have a random tech cat you should have a little card with the number on it.

Also my car is a 97 so that might make a regulation difference.

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't there some rule that is your car is more than 5 or 7 years old, you can switch cat setups as long as you pass smog?

Ting

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
From RT's site @ http://www.randomtechnology.com/index.html

This design, which meets Federal EPA and California ARB requirements, enables virtually any vehicle with a properly tuned engine to meet emissions standards with little, if any power loss (compared to an exhaust with no catalytic converter). Please note that currently, no aftermarket catalytic converters are legal for installation in California on OBD II vehicles (1996 and later).

http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/lawsregs.htm Emission regulations per Calif ARB. "enjoy".

Well, enjoy some more reading:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/levprog/test_proc.htm

·
776 Posts
Thanks supra_10
Now I am glad I can pass with the random tech. because I would have just bought a downpipe for a lot cheaper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts