Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HKS T04Z rocks!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
105K supra engine, mostly freeway miles, car never been over 112mph (always been jap restricted). 1998 vvti engine (yes its in the UK), if one was to fit a big single and go about 550 rwhp, how long would you expect it to last getting driven pretty hard?
I am asking as I only have experience of low mileage Supra's.

·
Car guy
803 Posts
I wouldn't say 105k miles is high mileage to me. With the correct mod's, 550 rwhp should last another 100k miles imo. John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Be VERY careful mate.

There are a few boys in Aust who have crack their primary compression rings on the bore lip by running old engines hard with new tubro setups.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Before I rebuilt my NA motor that had 172,000 miles (there were 5 prior owners before me). I found that the head needed a valve job and the exhaust side valve stems all needed to be replaced. The block, crank, rods, bearings were with-in spec. If I was to rebuild another GE motor, I would just leave the bottom end alone (other than change the gaskets & seals).

I probably would worry more about the condition of the head if I was going to slap on a turbo. You may also want to check the compression, too.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
"big single" and 550rwhp almost don't belong in the same sentence....I don't know much about vvti, but the bottom end should be fine IMO

·
Registered
849 Posts
180,000 and still going strong :bigthumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts