Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a oil pressure reading of 120psi right when i start up my motor!! and yes thats an accurate reading because i tried to different gauges and senders. I already changed my oil filter and its reads the same 120psi. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!!HELP HELP

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
What's the pressure once it warms up...

·
Registered
300 Posts
thats a normal cold start oil preasure my rb with the tomei pump peged 150 psi under 3k rpms when it was cold lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
engine mods 2jz na block with 2jz-gte head-wiesco pistons, eagle rods, pt67mm single turbo, 272's, 20w 50 valvoline oil, kinda thick but thats what the tuner recommended so idk what do you guys think?? ohh and oil pressure on a cold start is 120psi @ 1k rpm, when warmed up it drops to 85psi @ 1k rpm but as soon as i step on the gas a tad to 2k rpm oil pressure raises back to 125psi.

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
NA block... which oil pump are you using?

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
TT oil pump
Unless you've dramatically modified your block or purchased a modified oil pump (PHR makes one) you're definitely going to have problems blowing out your front main seals. You are justified in panicking.

Kruso

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
also running 20w-50 is dumb shit for a oil weight. especially if you are hitting extremely high oil pressures.

tell your tuner to go blow himself, you should only be seeing 45-89 psi at 3k rpm when warm. having it jump to fucking 125 at 2k rpm is ridiculous. you are just losing valuable flow for the oil. use a lighter weight until its within specs, and go ask your tuner exactly WHY, and if he says because you will get better oil pressure, ask for every last bit of money back and walk away.

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,252 Posts
I haven't the faintest idea why your tuner recommended that thick oil.

Oh a side-note, why did you swap in a TT oil pump? You might be seeing high oil pressure because of the fact that the TT oil pump was designed to produce more oil for the oil squirters which you don't have since you are a using a NA block.

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
1 a tuner is not a builder

2 oil weight will depend on use and clearance

3 before going inside a engine all aspects of the build should be worked out so you know what to expect

4 oil pressure comes from the bearing clearance not the pump

i run 15w-40 and have about 40 psi oil press on start up, this means nothing to anyone on the internet because they dont know what i did during my build to get that kind of oil pressure. So talk to your engine builder if you have one.

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
^^ Agree with everything but number 4. Having a TT oil pump on a NA block is infact a problem, once I've run into before first hand. You're going to have to get your hands on the newer 2JZGE oil pan with the provision for the crank sensor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
^^ Agree with everything but number 4. Having a TT oil pump on a NA block is infact a problem, once I've run into before first hand. You're going to have to get your hands on the newer 2JZGE oil pan with the provision for the crank sensor.
Oil Pump*, You want a 96+ VVTI GE pump. This flows the correct volumes of oil and has the location for the crank angle sensor.

Hope this helps

·
---
2,768 Posts
Old thread but since its already been bumped I figured I'd give my input. 120 at cold start is not a problem(PROVIDED YOU LET THE ENGINE WARM UP BEFORE DRIVING IT). However, you should not be running 20w50 unless you know specifically that you have the clearances for it. The only reason I see to run that thick is if you are revving high or your set up naturally runs very hot. Otherwise you would be fine with a thinner oil.

In most circumstances running a tt pump on a ge block is fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.