Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am consistently running 80 ft/lbs of pressure with normal freeway driving (3500 RPMs). Sometimes when I step on it, I climb dangerously close to 120 ft/lbs. When I start up my car in the morning I stay at 80 untill I warm up, and at idle I stay at 40 ft/lbs. I have an N/A.
What could be the problem? I just changed my oil but the jiffy lube guy recommended a complete engine oil flush ($100), I wrote it off as just trying to get more money but now I have second thoughts.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
What grade oil are you running? This may be part of the problem. The TSRM suggest that the pressure relief valve is bad when your pressures are excessive. On a Turbo car it's external, unfortunately on your's you need to remove the oil pan. I would suggest just replacing the oil pump if you pull the pan. Here's the link on "How To".

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/lu/LU_07.html

·
Registered
171 Posts
no the relief valve for the oil pump is internal for the turbo car as well as the na, in fact there are no real differences between the two pumps.. you might be thinking about the presure valve for the oil cooler that only opens up after a certain amount of oil preasure to cool the oil
hth
Scott A

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there are no other things I could try first? There must be something else besides the oil pressure release valve that could go wrong. Another weird thing is I stay at 80 ft/lbs whether I'm going 35mph or 100, it stays the same. Any other suggestions?

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
ZAcknAfEI you are correct, I was refering to the relief valve for the oil cooler, sorry.

soundcheckMKIII you could do the engine flush. While it might not cure your problem, it's definitely worth while to do on any older engine. It would be worth the money regardless. If that doesn't solve your pressure issues, I would say it's in the pump. Good Luck

T

·
0 Posts
First, make sure your oil gauge is working properly. It could be as simple as that.

·
25psi Bliss
1,448 Posts
:stupid:

The stock gauge unit is extremely dampered and is contructed from a coil setup functioning on variable resistance / voltage to display oil pressure. This generates a setup that isn't appreciably responsive nor accurate. I'm on my second unit which has since failed, so I only rely on my electrical oil pressure for monitoring. So basically the unit can fail entirely or display incorrect readout.

HTH

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how do I test to see if the gauge is correct? Do I just have to replace it and find out?

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
buy an aftermarket oil pressure guage, available from just about any aftermarket guage company such as autometer, sun-pro, AC, defi, and many others

1 - 11 of 11 Posts