Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up around 6k rpm's my oil pressure is around 110psi if not a little higher. I did some searching and found that normal is around 70-80 psi when higher in the RPM range. When i first start up the car it is up around the 110-120 psi range idling. Once the car warms up it idles around the 25-30 psi range. I have a sandwich adapter from Prosport to get my reading. http://www.deftracing.com/prosport_gauges/index_prosport_oil_gauge_adaptor_plate.htm

if this is unusually high what could be causing this? motor is out of a JDM Supra and i am currently BPU.

Thanks guys

·
Blue Thunder
3,428 Posts
I usually run around 80psi cold and idle around 30psi.IDK why it would be so high
when cold. I have a Prosport Oil pressure gauge and I had a GReddy gauge that
read the same.

B

·
Registered
140 Posts
The oil pump has a releif valve that should limit the max oil pressure. Higher oil pressure on a cold start is normal because the oil is still very viscous but 110 is definately too high. when the releif valve sticks or doesn't open at all you see higher oil pressures. i hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you need a new oil pump.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Never mind, found the answer to my question. Can anyone confirm that i need a new oil pump? could it be anything else? Really not looking forward to pulling the motor when i just finally got my rebuild so close to being done. :/ such is life.

·
Out on 2!
1,566 Posts
my oil pressure is around 100 cold. 90ish at 6k at op temp.

at 8k I see upwards of 110 on occasion.

Fresh build, perfect clearances, new pump. I really don't think its a problem. I do have squirters still, and a single turbo. It is an NA head though, although i doubt it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Mine, when cold, it idles at 80 or so psi. rev it up a bit when its cold and it hits a max 110-120 at 3k rpm.
op temp comes out to being at 30-40 idle and 100-110 at 3k rpm but stays there and doesnt go higher even if you are in the higher rpm range.

·
Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,636 Posts
mines at a cold start hangs out at about 110PSI as well, it seems very normal to me....and at a normal temp idle, it stays at about 12-14PSI...!!...dont really get to read the Gauge at such High RPM's, to busy shifting...lol..!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
the spec in the factory manual is 47-84 psi at 4,000 rpm for 2jz-gte, 3,000 rpm for 2jz-ge. Maybe 100 psi is normal in the upper rpm range. it sounds like that's what everyone is experiencing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it out again yesterday and watched it, after it was warmed up for sure it went to 120 at around 4000 rpms i didn't take the rpms any higher for fear of doing damage. I guess ill look into the oil pump release valve issue. Is it possible to suspend the motor and drop the cross member to get to the components rather than pull the motor? Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
40 Posts
When cold, my pressure is 110-120psi at idle (!). I have never rev'd my car to more than 3000rpm's when cold, but I read 110-120psi before hitting 3k, and it didn't go past 110-120psi. When warm about 70-80psi at idle, and 110-120 psi all the way to 7200rpm's.

Running 10/60 oil.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When cold, my pressure is 110-120psi at idle (!). I have never rev'd my car to more than 3000rpm's when cold, but I read 110-120psi before hitting 3k, and it didn't go past 110-120psi. When warm about 70-80psi at idle, and 110-120 psi all the way to 7200rpm's.

Running 10/60 oil.
ill have to take the car out again here and see how high it goes with really high rpms. The fact that it is a JDM motor wouldn't change anything would it?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i took it out last night and the oil pressure did not go past 120psi all the way to red line. Anyone have any ideas before i pull the motor?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tore into it tonight and removed the pressure release valve in the oil pump without pulling the motor. I inspected it and it looked fine. Reassembled things and started it up...still high oil pressure. So i took everything apart once again and removed the spring and the valve and reassembled everything again and started it up and it had no oil pressure. Does this point to a bad relief valve? I was going to put it back together again and see if it was a clog that was able to be cleared without the valve there but i ended up throwing of my timing and decided i was too tired to continue.

Cliffs: w/ oil pressure relief valve: oil pressure = 120 psi, w/o valve and spring oil pressure = 0 psi. Is my relief valve or oil pump bad?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like your pressure is just like mine.
I don't think it's bad. Mine has done two seasons of track driving without any problems at all.

I've also got a oil filter relocation kit and oil cooler, whitch I've heard will raise the oil pressure. (Not sure by how much)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the valve is supposed to open up at around 80psi though like everyone else's does there is no way it should be that high

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A week, a couple hundred dollars, and many busted knuckles later...I have now installed the new oil pump and got everything buttoned back up. Primed the pump... fired it up...AND THE OIL PRESSURE WAS STILL HIGH!!!!!! now goes up to 130psi. Im starting to suspect my oil pressure gauge. The gauge was brand new so i didn't think it could be that. I don't know anymore...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts