Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using 70 lbs valve springs (stock are 39), AEM, and stock oil pump. How high do you think it's safe to rev to on a daily basis? I'm not worried about floating the valves, but I wasn't sure how reliable the stock oil pump is at very high rpms.

-Paul

·
Registered
590 Posts
i dont know if this helps but

i have the whole ferrea valve train and gforce ecu set to 8100 rpm

i rev to 8000rpm all the time with no problem

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
The Forbidden Supra said:
I'm using 70 lbs valve springs (stock are 39), AEM, and stock oil pump. How high do you think it's safe to rev to on a daily basis? I'm not worried about floating the valves, but I wasn't sure how reliable the stock oil pump is at very high rpms.

-Paul
your FMS will be taking a crap. Not if.. but when.

I suggest getting the pump relief hole drilled out, the alleviate some of the pent up pressure @ high RPM and maybe one of the new dual-spring FMS.

Reliability wise? I'm not sure... can't say.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dual Spring FMS???? WHere can I get one and how much?

so your saying that higher rpms kills the FMS? Is this one your talking about better than stock??

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what rpm do you think should be safe to run most of the time? 7500? Or is that still too high?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
basically what ive heard is 7500 is ok on the stock valvetrain, 8500 with upgraded valvetrain and stuff, but that is where you will run into fms issues i believe.

at one point i believe the internals would benefit from upgrade (it might be 9k+)

im going to keep my limiter at about 8200 when i build my head, im scared of the FMS

·
Slow Poke
1,940 Posts
Padon my stupidity ;) Anyone care to explain FMS?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've actually had a lot of problems with my front main seal leaking... not a lot, but enough to get the timing belt wet, which isn't very good. And of course it made a complete mess of my entire engine bay.

I actually drove with the belt sopping wet for a very long time and the belt held up just fine. So if you do get a leak, no need to spazz. Of course it's a good idea to fix it, but if you don't, I really don't see why it would matter.. those belts don't seem to stretch no matter what happens to them, and the motor is non-interference. The seal is a pain in the ass to fix. Most dealers will insist that the motor needs to be removed, but if you know what you're doing it isn't necessary.

-Paul

·
Registered
575 Posts
Paul,

Have you thought about what happens when the FMS lets go???

I'll give you a clue. Massive loss of oil and a blown engine if you don't notice it very quicly.

I honestly don't know if a leaking FMS is more probable to fail completely than one that's not leaking but personally I wouldn't let it go.

Mike

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, yeah, you'll definitely have major problems if it comes out completely! No doubt. But I think it's pretty unlikely. However, the fact that it's leaking could be a sign that something else is wrong... worn out oil pump for instance... in which case, the situation should certainly not be ignored! If it's anything more than a tiny leak I would not drive the car. I have oil pressure and oil temp gauges with warning lights so I'm not too worried. But like you said, you gotta catch it pretty fast. Anyway, we're getting more and more off topic lol...

So, other than possibly blowing out your oil seals, is there anything to worry about when revving high? Mainly I wanted to know if the stock oil pump is sufficient. I know there are some high volume oil pumps on the market, such as the TOGA pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts