Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’ve been reading all this post about ignition breakup at 15 -20psi and spent a good amount of hours reading and then trying things here and there. Well this is my problem it’s a 97 supra gte/w58 with an aem v2 with an sxe 366 ONLY doing 6 psi(STILL ON A W58). It will be fine in 2nd gear go up to 7500 no problem but when going in 3rd and so on it starts breaking up around 5800-6000k. I already replaced all six coils with new oems changed plugs twice one set gaped at .26 and the other set at .20 removed the hks dli since it didn’t do anything to fix the issue and maybe that was causing the issue(NOPE). Checked the timing, checked for boost leaks, also have new injectors. Now I’m waiting on a new crank and can sensors. I’ve been reading about going with 1zz coils but I don’t believe I need to do this only at 6psi. I also noticed that the longer the car runs the more noticeable the break up is. I’m using NGK BKR8EIX 2668 I was also thinking about doing copper plugs. Thank you.

·
From the land down under
3,742 Posts
If you bought new OEM coils, then dont waste money on any others, as that isnt your problem.

What igniter are you using?

Are all of the coil connector plugs and wiring new, or at least in good condition?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m using the stock ignitor. I checked the connectors and all clip on and the wiring is in good condition. I am thinking of making a new harness for the coils also I did change the plugs to the 4644 gapped at .28 and still there. The fuel pump is a new walbro 450 pump and with the 12v mod and a new oem fuel filter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At idle it sits at 40 psi. I have a mechanical at the fpr so I can’t see it while doing driving. Car just got tuned with an aem v2 so I’m pretty sure they paid attention to the pressure as they were tuning it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered an igniter from eBay see if it does anything. I’m thinking of also replacing both cam and crank sensors next.

·
Registered
232 Posts
had 2 cars with the same issue. timing was checked, but it wasnt paired/sync'd with the aem correctly. re-sync'd it and both cars were good to go. no more break up. we tried just about everything you tried as well and both cars came down to the same issue.

hope that helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting well the car was just recently tuned and thats how we found this issue. I hope they sync’d it I will need to check this out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I replaced crank/cam sensors with new OEM ones and no help. I still need to try to re sync the timing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did read on a post here that it was the injectors causing the issue. I have Bosch injectors and I’m thinking about buying some id1000.

·
97 HARD TOP
952 Posts
I had the same issue and as mentioned before it was my timing needed to be synced up better. It was a few degrees off. Dont think its your injectors. I run bosch 210lbs (2200cc) with no issues. A cheap 50 dollar timing light goes a long way. Also check your ignition map.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I tried something just for shits and giggles while checking again the harness. Decided to gap the plugs to .020 and it made it worse. Now the break up feels worse and it does it exactly at 5k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts