Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got new tires, so I know it's not them.

I start to get a vibration at over 75mph. I could used to go 100mph and it rans smooth as glass, but lately its been vibrating.

It makes no noises at all, just vibrates.

I got an automatic and the cv boots look good. The rear u-joint feels tight (but I didn't take it apart. Any idaes?

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Are the tires balanced though?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I kinda have the same problem...

might wanna check the tihtness of the universals and then if not that.. like myself suspect the worn wheel bearing.

I dont have any side-to-side play but when rotating theres what sounds like a thud/clich from the left rear...

you it might be different as we drive on the left side of the road and the roads camber off to the left there fore *more* stress on the left side...

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
Just some food for thought.

When I had some Nylon type tyres... like Polyester.

When the car had been parked over night in cold conditions, while driving the car in the morning, it would feel lumpy. The weight of the car creates bald spots on the tyre making it lumpy when driving.

Proving this : The lumping gets off even while making turns and returning straight. (Outer wheel spinning more, and making the lumps on different ends.)

So, sometimes your vibrating can be caused by more than an alignment & balancing issue.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Amen on the flat-spotting from parking and other tire issues. I just started to experience this vibration and I would never relate it to anything else other than the bad condition of my tires and the fact that the car occasionally sits for extended periods and it is always parked in the same position ... causing more consistent locations for flat-spotting.

Just like m22 said, it was smoooooooth ... now getting a little wobble/vibration. Need some new tread.

Best regards.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
Well, with what he told us... he has new tyres...

but maybe a balance of them, or alignment is in order... then try again

·
Registered
192 Posts
Actually, new tires can vibrate depending on where you place them on the car. I work at a dealership where we just go a new $30K tire mounter and balancer. The balancer has a new feature that detects abnormal vibration that can be caused by tire or rim runout. Its called roadforce. You get a ft lbs. reading on how much road force there is and which way the tire will pull and how hard. After geting all these reading you put the rims on the vehicle in certain places depending if you want less pull or less vibration. You can get the best of both if you have access to this machine. The machine also tells you where to mount the tire on the rim for least roadforce, but this is time consuming so most people wont do it. So maybe try moving around the tires or if they are directional rotate one side at a time, or you could go find a dealer/tire shop that has the new Hunter equiptment. Good luck!:D

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
MK3Brent said:
Well, with what he told us... he has new tyres...

Heh. Yeah, I was ust agreeing with other comments. I meant to imply that I need new tires for the supra.
Seems like blu87 thinks that new tires can cause similar symptoms too ... though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you also get aftermarket rims? They may not be hub centric, you would need some rings to fix that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same problem, it was at 75 mph that I felt it. Does it wobble when you break too?

My problem, I had a bad lower ball joint on the passenger side.

2 ways to tell, if it clumps once in a while when turning, or if it groans when turning. Other way is to jack the car up, move tire up and down, you'll hear a clump coming from the ball joint.

Easy fix.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6q6w5/id1.html

First thing I'd check is the wheel balance. Go back to the place that did you tires and tell them the problem, they should balance the tires for free.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
WOW.... technology these days.

You should make a thread on this new device, because I am very interested....now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
qwery

Well the vibration was there before the new tires.
The fronts are perfect, all vibration comes from the rear.

So that mean the balance is ok

And I drive my car eveyday, ; yesterday for 250 miles, so no parking flat spot or whatever.

I felt the rear ujoint and could find no freeplay. I guess I'll just start taking things apart until I find it. Will post what i find out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A vibration dependent on speed alone is probably due to an out of round condition either from your tires or a bent wheel. It could be wheels not centered on the hubs. Don't think new tires can't be the source of vibration. They very commonly are.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
fire said:
A vibration dependent on speed alone is probably due to an out of round condition either from your tires or a bent wheel. It could be wheels not centered on the hubs. Don't think new tires can't be the source of vibration. They very commonly are.
Amen. This is why I am saying that it is probably my tires.

I have a lot of negative camber up front so the insides are about worn to the max now while the outsides are just barely passing the penny test. AND .. I probably have some flat-spots. New tread time for me.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Check out your center bearing on the driveshaft (grab each half shaft with a hand and try twisting them against each other. If there is play, replace that bad boy.

John

1983 Supra MKII
Supercharged
AFM Mod
K&N Style Filter
Aaron Garney Intake
62mm throttle body
410 LSD
2.5" downpipe
Hi-flow cat
2.25 Catback
'97 N/A Headers