Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With built auto and high stall converter, what does the tranny drives like under normal traffic? Does transmission gets very hot in the stop/go traffic? and how hot? Which transmission cooler is the best and proven for such set-up?
When racing, what is the best way to launch/shift that built auto/high stall converter with lock switch?
Any input will be appreciated.

Wayne

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
The engine does rev more before the car really starts moving, but it isn't annoying or anything, just noticable. I actually enjoy driving the car around town more with the converter because it accelerates from a stop much quicker than before. I don't have a temperature gauge on the trans, so I don't have definite numbers, but with the tranny cooler I'm using I don't think the tranny gets any hotter than it did before. I just bought a big-ass cooler from the local auto parts store, don't recall the brand.

To launch, I hold the brake as hard as I can, and pull the emergency brake. Then step on the throttle about 1/2 to 3/4 to build boost (10-15psi). Right before I'm gonna take off I floor the throttle, and then let off both brakes. Depending on your tires, you will have to figure out how much boost to build off the line. I just keep the tranny in D and let it shift itself.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveH said:
The engine does rev more before the car really starts moving, but it isn't annoying or anything, just noticable. I actually enjoy driving the car around town more with the converter because it accelerates from a stop much quicker than before. I don't have a temperature gauge on the trans, so I don't have definite numbers, but with the tranny cooler I'm using I don't think the tranny gets any hotter than it did before. I just bought a big-ass cooler from the local auto parts store, don't recall the brand.

To launch, I hold the brake as hard as I can, and pull the emergency brake. Then step on the throttle about 1/2 to 3/4 to build boost (10-15psi). Right before I'm gonna take off I floor the throttle, and then let off both brakes. Depending on your tires, you will have to figure out how much boost to build off the line. I just keep the tranny in D and let it shift itself.
Thanks Dave,

How long have you had your high stall? do you also have a built transmission? How big is your cooler? is there a GWV (whatever that is ) rating? I got a transmission temperture gauge and it will reach as high as 230 degree at the stop/go traffic. I was told its better to keep it under 180, so I'm wondering if anyone have any suggestion as far as how to keep the temperture down.
When you racing, I assume the O/D should be turned off, righ? Do you have a raised rev limiter? what rpm does your transmission shift at each gear?
Sorry for all those question but I really just want to make sure that my car runs fast but safe, thanks.

Wayne

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KING said:
Wayne. Get the largest tranny cool you can fit into your car. Also, get one with an integrated fan assembly. I have seen some very clean installs here with an integrated fan/cooler assembly mounted where the old factory IC went. A customer here with a SP tranny and 4200 rpm stall gets 180 degrees with the fan on in stop and go traffic. With the fan off it rises to 200+ rather quickly. He wired the fan to a switch on the dash, but uses it full time when driving. The current draw is minimal.

Find me at the Vegas meet and I will show you a couple of cooler/fan installs.

Mark
www.suprastore.com
Thanks Mark, I will.

Wayne

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Listen to Mark (good to see you posting again Tozer!...didn't see you for awhile!).

A fan is next on my list - I managed to stuff a friggin' huge cooler in there:
Summit Racing - cooler

Summit also offers a few Perma-cool units w/fans built in.
The one I have is actually 30,000 GVW 1.5" x 10.5" x 21" !! nice - anyway, a fan and temp gauge is next for me....

good luck,
Jay

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Philly Single said:
Listen to Mark (good to see you posting again Tozer!...didn't see you for awhile!).

A fan is next on my list - I managed to stuff a friggin' huge cooler in there:
Summit Racing - cooler

Summit also offers a few Perma-cool units w/fans built in.
The one I have is actually 30,000 GVW 1.5" x 10.5" x 21" !! nice - anyway, a fan and temp gauge is next for me....

good luck,
Jay
Jay
Do you have FMIC? Which cooler did you get? How/where do you
mount that thing?

Wayne

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Wayne Chung said:

Jay
Do you have FMIC? Which cooler did you get? How/where do you
mount that thing?

Wayne
Yeah, I have the Blitz FMIC and I'm using a Summit Racing tranny cooler model #: SUM-G4969

It's mounted in between the fmic and the radiator - the only real place to put a cooler of this size. There is still room in there to mount a fan directly to the cooler - if you are concerned about not gettting enough air flow to the cooler. A fan isn't too much cash - and cooler is better.

jay

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Philly Single said:

Yeah, I have the Blitz FMIC and I'm using a Summit Racing tranny cooler model #: SUM-G4969

It's mounted in between the fmic and the radiator - the only real place to put a cooler of this size. There is still room in there to mount a fan directly to the cooler - if you are concerned about not gettting enough air flow to the cooler. A fan isn't too much cash - and cooler is better.

jay
I just recevied the B&M #70266 cooler today from Summit Racing, it is not that big(10"x8"x1.5") but it is rated at 28,000 GVW. I'll try to mount it between the FMIC and the radiator tomorrow. Hope it'll keep the tanny temperature under 200 degree.

Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts