Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Skool 4 Life
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished with my bhg fix and when I started it ran but there was a hissing noise like a vacuum noise, it's comming the driver side somewhere near the egr, which by the way is blocked off, if that means anything, my buddy thinks the injector seal on number 5 is bad and it's causing the hissing, also when I gas it it stops hissing. any ideas?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Had a similar issue, on my 1st BHG repair. I used an old fuel injector grommet, which was brittle. A small piece of it had broken off on the install and I ended up having to go back and replace it (#5 or #6 cyl). What a PITA after all that other work. I'll never re-used any of that brittle/wore-out stuff anymore.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
SnowMongoose said:
In my experience, leaky injectors whistle more than hiss, but that could be it.
smoke that shit out.
How about Whirr? I have this same noise and it sounds like its coming from the EGR Lol

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
SnowMongoose said:
In my experience, leaky injectors whistle more than hiss, but that could be it.
smoke that shit out.

Yeah, but this was a broken grommet that let air pass thru (at the injector)... it was a vacuum leak. I sprayed near the area and the idle would be fine for a sec, then back to hissing, like any other vacuum leak. I guess that the sound could be different, depending on the shape of the hole or whatever, that the air flows thru.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yeah, you can NEVER reuse grommets... every time the injector grommets come out, they typically never go in the same and result in a vaccum leak. when my 1st bhg job was done, i reused the grommets and i have a bad leak and i had to keep tappnig the throttle to keep it alive. go over you vaccum diagram to make sure that everything IS connected properly. its possible that w/o the EGR stuffs, the EGR solenoid is not connected to the diaphragm anymore, resulting in an open vaccum line. but, if you cant find it, go over it w/ some carb cleaner and see if you can determine what vicinity the leak is from.

·
Old Skool 4 Life
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys i ordered some new seals hope fully they work they're gonna be here tomorrow

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Sorry you had this problem too. As I recently found, most of the headgasket kits don't have the grommets for some reason (which is why we're re-using the old ones).

That makes 2 different kits for me anyways...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yeah, same for me... i had to go to the local auto parts store (AutoZone, Advance Auto, Parts America, Kragan, whatever) and go into the HELP! section... the one w/ all the red packages. there is a fuel injector O-ring kit that contains a bunch of O-rings/grommets for Fords, Chevys, Toyota, and such... theres enough in there to make it work. its only a couple of bucks

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Another thing to check is the upper to lower intake runner bolts- If the upper or lower runners are loose, you'll get a big vacuum leak.
But, as mentioned a few times here, buy some starting fluid, and systematically spray a shot towards each part of your intake, from front to rear, or vise-versa.
It'll become very apparent where the leak is located.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
flubyux2 said:
yeah, same for me... i had to go to the local auto parts store (AutoZone, Advance Auto, Parts America, Kragan, whatever) and go into the HELP! section... the one w/ all the red packages. there is a fuel injector O-ring kit that contains a bunch of O-rings/grommets for Fords, Chevys, Toyota, and such... theres enough in there to make it work. its only a couple of bucks

Gawddangit..... cost me about $18 from the local dealer (couldn't wait for shipping from Curt).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts