Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you run these with stock turbo's? I have been wondering for a long time if anyone has these, and how bad the idle really is. what other mods would you need with these cams? other than maybe cam gears. These seem like a relatively cheap mod(ie under a grand) to get some more HP while keepin the stock turbo's.
Thanks for the help.

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
There are 2 things a stock turbo car does not need(IMHO:) Cams, and a G-Force.

My friends old car had them both( before it went single) didn't make a bit of difference. It will just give you a lumpy idle at that level.

Scott

Peace

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
Cams on a stock engine DO make a diffrence in performance. However, 272 or 264 are a little to big for the stock setup. So as Scott said, lumpy idel...with not much performance gain.

If your looking at cams, look small/shorter duration then 264s

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
who makes cams, other than HKS for the supra.. that would offer gains, but keep a stock-like idle? and what duration would be good to run for a street car, with just street draggin and general driving around in its future.

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
I was saying cams don't make a difference on stock turbos...not stock motor.

I would do an FMIC way before cams(stock twins).

Any duration below 264s won't gain you anything either....even with a single turbo.

Scott

Peace

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have been looking into an FMIC, but they cost so much. i have heard the apex'i cores are bad, but don't know much about the others. The Blitz kit, seems to to be good as it comes with everything you need. What do you guys run? What have installed, how hard is it to put these things in, i understand it involves taking off the front bumber and such. but, in general whats involved?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Blitz FMIC is nice. They all go in about the same... You don't need to take off the front bumper though. I have the original TRUST FMIC which is one of the thickest/beefy and all I did was take the plastice undertrays off and put it up in from the bottom, it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Stock Cam Specs for 6spd.:
Duration @ 1mm = 220/224
Duration @ .050 = 200/204
Lift = 8.61mm/8.79mm

Automatic Specs:
Duration @ 1mm = 226/230
Duration @ .050 = 206/210
Lift = 8.61mm/8.79mm

If you have a 6spd. maybe you could try an automatic cam grind or if you have an auto try a grind as such:
Duration @ 1mm = 240/240
Duration @ .050 = 200/200
Lift = 9.5mm/9.5mm

Info from Crower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts