Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys a couple of small questions. What are the torque specs for the cams caps that hold the cams in place? Additionally after we install the cams we will check the valves. Should I be looking at the stock tolerances or are there different tolerances. Additionally looking on MKIV.com I saw an article on igntion timing but it showed a distributor in one of pics. How do you adjust timing on the Supra TT motors. BTW the car is a 1994 Supra TT . Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
John Staats

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
Jstaats said:
Guys a couple of small questions. What are the torque specs for the cams caps that hold the cams in place? Additionally after we install the cams we will check the valves. Should I be looking at the stock tolerances or are there different tolerances. Additionally looking on MKIV.com I saw an article on igntion timing but it showed a distributor in one of pics. How do you adjust timing on the Supra TT motors. BTW the car is a 1994 Supra TT . Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
John Staats

You may want to take a trip to your local dealer and photocopy the manual for the installation procedure. The caps have to be torqued in a specific order and the cams will need to be rotated with a loosening/tightening sequence 120 degrees apart. It's not as simple as unbolt and reinstall. If you choose to try it that way, you will risk snapping one of your cams in two. I don't have the time to detail the specific steps right now, best bet is to get a copy of the procedures.

Valve clearance (Cold engine) is .006 - .008 on the intake and .0010 - .0014 on the exhaust. Aftermarket/stock cams, doesn't matter. Shoot for the lower end, IE: .006~.007 and .0010~.0011 or it will be a bit more noisy.

Without a standalone, you can not alter the base ignition timing on a TT. You can only check it with a timing light and the diag connector grounded.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ryan,

Thanks for the help I have a friend that can get access for the cam install,etc. Thanks for the infomation on the timing( I looked at it last night and it looked fishy with a picture of a dist in the picture).

Staats

1 - 4 of 4 Posts