Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am in the process of building my head and need cams and was wondering if anyone could help me choose which cam to buy. I have ferrea valve train. Is there any difference between the brian crower and hks 272 cams? Besides the $400 defference. Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly app.

· Super Moderator
14,072 Posts
the HKS's are well worth the price difference.

I like proven, quality components.

· Registered
444 Posts
Yea can you explain/quantify your post J.C. ? Shimless buckets are a nice addition and are a must have for very high RPM valvetrains, but how can you justify the added cost of them when you don't know what the OP is aiming for? Your post seems like it will make everyone buying 272 cams to think they NEED to buy shimless buckets....

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
i havent look at cams too close yet, but one thing i like (logically) is that a camshaft is 1 piece.
which means as long as its shaped 100% perfectly then there should be not much to worry about besides the looming concern of inferior metal blowing up.

engine internals are one place i would be devastated if something went wrong. so for that reason, i would probably get hks cams for peace of mind.
HKS is a good brand; we all know they R&D their products before they throw them out on the market.

like i said, i havent done very much research into cams outside of the differences between the various lifts and gathering info on powerbands and max rpm capabilities.

ive never read about an hks cam failure, but i vaguely recall 1 article about a brian crower failure (might not have even been camshaft though).

BC is not Crower, and Crower makes a point to not be associated in any way with BC, so that leaves room for thought in regards to quality.

do some reading into what material they use and how the BC cams are crafted; maybe that can reveal some potential reasons why there is such a cost difference.

you usually get what you pay for though.

· Drive by Radar
1,420 Posts
Please note: I have no experience with BC cams. HKS however, makes an awesome product.

I do recall there bring a thread a while back about the BC280 cams leaking oil. This was due to the lack of a ball bearing on the cam gear side. After much strife, the customer finally got a good product, and some free stuff to boot. What I managed to grasp, was that their quality control is a bit lacking. I'll see if I can find the thread...

Edit: Thread found...
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481983&highlight=cam+leak

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snakeeater thanks for that post. I wanted to go with hks but just needed a reason to make myself buy them. Anyone know who sells them for the best price? I have found them around $950 shipped for the pair of HKS 272's. Thanks again for all your help.

· Registered
444 Posts
Dammit another one!

No but really...Snake..you gotta read that thread again you posted..it was Crower, not BC who had that horrible CS where they took back the cam, sent another one with the same problem...then took weeks to resolve the issue. So it was NOT the BC280, it was the Crower Cams that had the problem.

· Registered
3,519 Posts
Please note: I have no experience with BC cams. HKS however, makes an awesome product.

I do recall there bring a thread a while back about the BC280 cams leaking oil. This was due to the lack of a ball bearing on the cam gear side. After much strife, the customer finally got a good product, and some free stuff to boot. What I managed to grasp, was that their quality control is a bit lacking. I'll see if I can find the thread...

Edit: Thread found...
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481983&highlight=cam+leak
Those are Crower, not Brian Crower. There is a difference.

edit: 1998jza80 beat me to it. ; )

· Drive Hard
730 Posts
ok so if i want to rev to 8200 then shimless buckets are a must? Has anyone heard of any bad things about the bc cams? thanks again guys
i run 8300rpm with 272 with stock shim and supertech valves springs without problems

· Drive by Radar
1,420 Posts
Dammit another one!

No but really...Snake..you gotta read that thread again you posted..it was Crower, not BC who had that horrible CS where they took back the cam, sent another one with the same problem...then took weeks to resolve the issue. So it was NOT the BC280, it was the Crower Cams that had the problem.
Those are Crower, not Brian Crower. There is a difference.

edit: 1998jza80 beat me to it. ; )

You are indeed correct! My mistake. I always get the two confused as to which is quality belongs to which. Thank you both for pointing that out. :)

· Game Over
1,767 Posts
Well, this is a bit off topic but, has anyone tried the JUN 256 cams? They have a 9.3mm lift so it's pretty aggressive for their durations. The Hks 264s have 9.0mm lifts. Figured I asked if they might have ANY advantages over the 264s instead of starting another thread. Looking for a pretty wide and smooth useful torque band here...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.