Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I dont want this to turn into a BC,Crower,HKS,Jun cam debate. If it has been posted before and someone has it in their favorites please link it or bump the thread and I will have this one locked....

Who has ran both set's of cams? What is the biggest difference in them? IIRC lift is the same, just duration is changed correct? These will go on a GT42R setup with a stock head, aftermarket springs and retainers. Currently I am on the stock ECU but I am looking to go AEM soon. What are the pro's and con's of each? How much spool will be lost with big cams?

Jason

·
Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,488 Posts
What is the biggest difference in them? IIRC lift is the same, just duration is changed correct?
Yes, regarding HKS the 272 and 280 the lift is 9.3 and the only difference is the longer duration.
What are the pro's and con's of each? How much spool will be lost with big cams?
I don’t have exact numbers but you will lose lower end torque and horse power, but gain more on top end. 280’s are not really optimal until 1100rwhp and more for drag cars. They do sound very mean. Check out this chart to better get an idea. 280's are not in this testing but you can more or less figure it out.

I was thinking about testing a 272/280 staggered set up. I just might get a full set of 280's test them vs. the 272 and the staggered set up to settle this topic. I will keep everybody posted, when ever I get to it.

·
Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,488 Posts
If the LAST sentence confused you it was just a personal thing I wanted to do is test the 272/280 cam set, it had nothing to do with your previous post.

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the LAST sentence confused you it was just a personal thing I wanted to do is test the 272/280 cam set, it had nothing to do with your previous post.

nah, its cool....I was just bumping the thread to see if anyone else had any opinions. I too think the staggered setup may be the way to go since you mentioned it.

Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts