Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the back of the latest Turbo there is some info about the HKS 3.4 L stroker kit. Does anyone have any info on this, good bad or other? Has anyone else done a similiar upgrade. I know Jun has a kit out too. What would be the cons (besides price) I imagine low end tq would be improved.

John

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
low end torque, spool, more displacement in general...no way worth the cost IMO (for the kits). There are a couple threads on the board that discuss doing the stroker yourself...which is probably what I'm going to do. I think Dan (FYRARMS) currently has a project underway, from what I heard of it, it's just badass.

/Mark

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I am more gifted in the wallet then in my mechanical abilities. what do you think it would cost to build an engine like this. Including cams and head work. 20K ? The low end torque is very appealing to me.

John

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
lol, can't argue with that. In terms of building an engine like that, do you mean one with the stroker kits, or piecing together one as I had mentioned. Just because you don't have mechanical abilities doesn't mean you can't build a stroker for cheaper. Just get your engine shop to do it for you. If you used a kit, I'm sure you could very easily reach 20k.

/Mark

·
Registered
377 Posts
in my personal opinion,i would rather have higher rpm capabilities. that way it would be a more drivable monster around town,give you a larger rpm range,and probably be worth some time on the strip depending on the size turbo you use.

plus higher rpms put strain on the engine just as a stroker does. but my opinion is just kinda off topic,so sorry about that.lol

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
how is having a higher revving engine more drivable around town? do you get up to redline all around town? a stroker kit would be far more drivable for around town purposes, you have more low end power along with quicker spool. a stroker kit and higher revving engines are pretty much just different means to the same end of having a broader useable powerband, but in my opinion a stroker kit has the more useable power for every day use. Although it of course depends on what you use the car for, daily driver or just track/weekend use

·
Registered
250 Posts
The HKS Stroker kit is currently being sold in Japan for approximately 10 grand. Not sure how much it will go up when sold here in the states. I can see how much the total cost would be to get one if you're seriously interested. Just PM me or perhaps Dusty can get these.

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
I don't know much about Stroker Supra Motors, but in the motorcycle arena (Hayabusas) they are highly unreliable and are relegated to mostly track duty.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to PM keith. Who else on here has a stroked motor. I would like to here about the performance and their likes, dislikes.

John

UGTFUKD - you have mail.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
turbo_kid02 said:
in my personal opinion,i would rather have higher rpm capabilities. that way it would be a more drivable monster around town,give you a larger rpm range,and probably be worth some time on the strip depending on the size turbo you use.

plus higher rpms put strain on the engine just as a stroker does. but my opinion is just kinda off topic,so sorry about that.lol
Your opinion is your opinion, and thats fine...but...Higher rpm as stated puts more strain on the engine. If you are talking about bringing the engine up to 9k rpm, you have a pistion speed of (a guess) probably around 5100fpm, that is A LOT. If you rev to 8200, as I planned to, then Having a stroker motor with a 92.5mm stroke and a 87.0mm bore, the same piston speed would be achieved at about 76-7700rpm. A loss of 5-600 rpm isnt that bad, when you have more displacement, better spool, and better low end torque out of the engine itself. I, in fact, think quite the opposite, the stoker is the ideal way to go for 'around town' drivability, and would give you a much better power band.

Piston speed is the enemy, all you have to do is calculate it just as you would do with a stock engine, and adjust your redline accordingly. Personally, I will build my valvetrain to be able to handle high revs, put the stroker and turbo on, do a high rpm dyno pull...and let the dyno tell me my shift points.

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
With the concept of Drag racing in mind during development, the 2JZ-GTE 3.4L KIT was created and able to output approximately 1000ps of power and a huge increase in low end torque. Using Nickel plating on the upper half of the forged pistons allows for resistance versus knocking. Utlilizes a machined full-counter deisign crankshaft. Connecting Rods are H-beam designed for maximum strength and durabilty.

Head Gasket Thickness Compression Ratio
1.2mm 8.8
1.6mm 8.6
2.0mm 8.3

Comparison Between Stock and HKS set up
HKS 3.4L KIT STOCK
BORE 87.0mm 86.0mm
STROKE 94.0mm 86.0mm
DISPLACEMENT 3,352.8ml 2,997.3ml

PRODUCT Engine Capacity Type Boring Full Flow Porting Part Number Price Remarks
2JZ-GTE 3.4L KIT 2JZ-GTE 3352.8 87mm-22mm YES NEEDED NOT NEEDED 21004-AT001 Ni plated forged pistons, machined full counter crankshaft, H beam conrods, approximate rpm range up to 7500rpm
Forged Pistons 2JZ-GTE 3352.8 87mm-22mm YES NEEDED NOT NEEDED 21003-AT001
Machined Crankshaft 2JZ-GTE 23006-AT001 94.0mm Stroke, Full Counter

H Beam Connecting Rod 2JZ-GTE 22mm pin NOT NEEDED 2304-rt004 Can Handle Full Stroke

MSRP = $11,915.00

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
just for some more information to add to RSA's post.

94mm stroke @ 7500rpm:

94x15,000=1,410,000mm/min

1,410,000mm/min / 25.4mm/in / 12 in/ft = 4,626fpm

4,626 * 12 * 25.4 = 1.41 million mm/min / 86mm = 16,395 / 2 =

8,198rpm

To clarify, the HKS stroker has the same piston speed (stress on the internals) at 7,500rpm as the stock stroke'd engine has at 8,200rpm.

Also, could anyone explain why Nickel coating on the top of the cylinders would help resistance to knock??

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome info! I am still interested in talking to someone who has a srtoked motor. What is Keith Ta's screen name?

John

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
MADMKIV said:
If that stroker kit isn't good up to 8000 RPM's then forget it :(
That doesn't mean that the stroker kit isnt good up to 8k rpms, it just means that at 7500 rpms the pistons are moving at the same speed that the stock ones are at 8200 rpms, but the stroker kit includes all upgraded internals, so you are upgrading your block at the same time you are stroking it, so it should be able to handle 8k+ rpms just fine.

·
666 Posts
Oh ok... I thought that the piston speed was going to be too high after 7500

Ray745 said:
That doesn't mean that the stroker kit isnt good up to 8k rpms, it just means that at 7500 rpms the pistons are moving at the same speed that the stock ones are at 8200 rpms, but the stroker kit includes all upgraded internals, so you are upgrading your block at the same time you are stroking it, so it should be able to handle 8k+ rpms just fine.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts