Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing a all motor n/a supra. I found out how to make the cams work anf fit perfect in the 2jz-ge engine. I would like to know whats the best hks or jun cams for my application without a turbo. i know these cams are probaly made
with a turbo in mind but say ididnt have a turbo.
Can i use a lower duration hks cam or something less drastic cause im not running a turbo?
im trying to squueze every horse out of my n/a before i think
of doing a single turbo kit. I have seen a couple all motor
race supra race cars

what lift ,duraction and what not would you suggest
I know this is a project but im ready for it.

I am also doing a 6into 1 race headers for my n/a so i am trying to find out everything aabout these cams as possble. Any of you tt guys hav cams on with your stock turbos and how big of a increase did you see at the same boost ? Please help me out any way you can guys Thanks

Xdreamer ~93.5 n/a Supra

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well you're dealing with an entirely different setup for cams... You may want to talk to Crower about a custom grind since they have the billet cores and could really cut them any way you spec out. With an N/A motor you want as much valve overlap as possible because that's how you get the air and fuel sucked through as fast as normal vac will allow, but on turbo apps you want the opposite because you'd have boost rushing out of the head through the opened valves.
Also for your header plans, you may want to grab a Pacesetter for around $170 from NOPI or wherever and modify from there. That would save you a lot of development time, or talk to Pacesetter directly, they might have something in the works or may have a way to help you out...

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much valve overlap should i get ? Give me a rough idea. im just starting to learn the whole deal with casms. so i am trying to either have these cam made for me or use a pair made for the tiwn turbo . but it looks like they willnt have anough valve overlap to do much difference. Any other idea's you could give me I am going to get cams for my n/a and even have them made if i have to. And as for pace setter making headerrs i will look into that
I am wanting a 6-into 2-1 tubular race header. Cause i know ill need the flow after the new cams. I will also port my intake manifold accordingly to match the flow specs of whateevr cam i go with or have made. Can you just give me more info a about cams. and if you had all motoro supra and there were never turbo's what would you do engine wise. Thanks BRett

·
Registered
458 Posts
Oh I have no idea on what specs you would want to go for on an N/A for valve overlap. But what you could start with is a setup of adjustable cam gears on the stock cams to get to that point. That is an easy and relatively cheap what to dial in a little more overlap, and then you could give those specs and the stock specs to Crower or whoever and the could grind a set with more lift and such with the proper duration for overlap and all. That's why cam gears are so important to the VTEC honda guys, it brings out that last bit of NA power. But the ones running turbos have to stick whith stock cams and dial out that overlap since most upgraded cams are cut for even more overlap along with lift.

Sitcking with NA, and building a motor and such I guess I'd do something like this...

lighten the reciprocating mass: lightened flywheel, knife edge crank, go with some lighter rods, and crank pulley. and have the whole assembly balanced.
raise compression: along w/ the motor build get some high compression pistons and maybe some total seal rings.
air & fuel flow: have the head and intake Extrude honed and matched with the header as well.
Do the cams at whatever specs end up being figured out, run some better spring with Ti retainers for higher revs.
The stock fuel setup will probably be fine but you should have the ECU either tuned or get engine management setup so you can raise the rev limit(easy way to get more HP from same displacement is to rev it faster, the whole idea behind S2000 and crotch rocket's high revs) and maybe adjust fuel maps. Adjust your timing for the increased flow, this can probably be done pretty simply due to the distributor setup on NA.
decrease drag on motor: underdrive pulley sets, electric fans instead of clutch type on water pump, eliminate power stering if possible.
lighten the weight of the vehicle as much as possible: That's why a 340 hp RX7 weighing 800 #s less than average 400+ Supra is just as fast or faster. "Less weight, lower ET!" as a friend of mine always says...
:cool:

Now remember most of this is totally different priciples than tuning Supra TTs, so just keep that in mind...

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok Thanks for the info . Acouple more questions.
my xcar weighs juats about 3100lbs now so taking the power sterring pump out is something im thinking of. I have 16" on the car now so it should be that much differenmt. just for parking and what not. I fwell the popower sterring unit is to quick for the parkways but perfect for parking. Anyways what wpould i have to do to take it off right? And i am also in the proces sof getting light weight pulley .electric fans. and timing gears, to start .

my goals is around 300 horse to the wheels and at of around 2900lbs

Can i mill the head the increase the compression? Od do i have to swap out the pistons. And as for the whole overlap iidea. the hks lets says 264 cams or even llower spec cams willnt have sufficent overlap?

And i hear what you are saying about getin kinife cut crank fully balcned with the underdrive crank pulley on it. since the crank pulleys for supr'a arent balanced.

I am going to do this n/a project so any more ideas are great .

Also can i take the a/c compressor out with affecting the heat?

im wanitng to take these items out today/tonight .

i found out the hissing electric sound wa a defective/ lose pvc valve

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts