Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Stock Twins King
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for a DLI install and couldnt find one. I think BLKMGK has one somewhere. This is my 3rd install and I thought I would take pictures this time and post the install FYI.

NOTES: Because we installed a used DLI, the 5 Yellow, and 1 White wires were way to short so I had to extend them. Unfortunately I did not have any Yellow wires to use, so I used Blue wires for the 5 Yellow wires, and used a Green wire for the White wire, which I used for the Green "Tach" signal wire.

The FSM shows that the Ignition Noise Filter has 2 wires; Brown which is Ground, and Brown/White for 12V Ignition. The car I worked on had this wire as Brown/Orange? Don't know if it was faded or what. As long as you DO NOT use the solid Brown wire. (There are only 2-can't go wrong)

To "insert" and solder the DLI wires into the Ignitor wires, take a sharp razor blade and cut a chunk of the wire shield away. Just enough so you can thread the DLI wires under and through. Then solder in place. I used a real small screw driver to get under the shield and "lift" up the bare wire enough so I could then slide the DLI wire through the "looped-up" Ignitor wire.

There are a total of 5 wires in the Ignitor harness that are Yellow, and one solid Green (Tach wire). This is where you install all of the DLI wires. DO NOT install and DLI wires on any other wires. It does not matter which one goes where, as long as the have some yellow stripe in them.

Might want to move to the FAQ section?

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Stu -- any reason that you chose to solder the wires like that rather than just use wire taps?

·
Stock Twins King
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Man, I don't know if I want to go there Chris! lol! There is a lot of debate on what is the best way to make electrical connections. Huge debate a year ago on MKiV. It got so carried away, they were quoting "aircraft" installtion techniques on how to fasten 2 wires together. The long and short for me is the duability, vibration resistant, better continuity, and less harmfull to the wires themselves. A poor wire splice can actually "shear" the wire strands, causing loss of current flow. Its harder to remove, but the wire strands will all still be intact when you do remove the solder, with no worries of damaged strands from the splice.

Stu

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,875 Posts
in blkmgk's writeup he used the top left wire on the other plug to get the 12 volt he said thats what hks's instructions say to use is there any diff? my light comes on but i cant tell any diff in spark ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
ovey1 said:
in blkmgk's writeup he used the top left wire on the other plug to get the 12 volt he said thats what hks's instructions say to use is there any diff? my light comes on but i cant tell any diff in spark ?
I used the same power wire as hks instruction says too. I think there the same power wire.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
They are working just took awhile to pop up.

Oh, and solder all the way!! :) I've worked on so many vehicles with crimped connectors on injectors and lights and when I solder them I never see the customer again for the same problem. Well so far that is.. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Guys,

Has anyone here installed a DLI or DLI2 on a vvti motor (which runs wated spark coils and a different ignitor)?

Install advice greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have seen people put them on IS300 so I would imagine that they do work, if it is coil over plug then it should work.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Hey Guys,

I Just purchased a used DLI, the previous owner didn't have the harness so it was cut before the harness and hardwired. Without the harness I don't have the yellow wires to go by. The wires are; brown, white, orange, yellow, blue, green, red and black. I can guess that the red and black are power and ground and the others would translate to yellow. Can someone please confirm, I don't want to risk hooking it wrong.

thanks

·
Stock Twins King
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
http://97supraturbo.com/HKS DLI Install/HKS DLI Install.pdf

I can only assume that the previous owner had somewhat of a clue. If so, the Blk/Red would be ground/power.........Green for the "tach" wire (Long looping green wire) and the others are the remaining 5 signal wires, and it doesnt matter which one goes to which wire.

Stu

1 - 20 of 92 Posts