Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a boost controller.
Considering the HKS EVC-IV as first priority.
Talked to a performance shop and was told that the EVC-IV is a VERY slow seller and that the user manual is lousy and that no good tech docs are available.
Also, that it's not easy to program or debug.

Any comments?

Any input on the HKS-EZ?

Was told that the Blitz SBC-I-D is also a bitch to program. Is that the case? Is it well documented and supported?
Looking into BPU.

Any and feedback would be appreciated.

Jay :blue:

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i have the blitz dsbc and love it greddy profect b is easy to use also as well as the hks ez

dont know much aboutthe hks evc but i have seen some people say they like it!

H

·
0 Posts
My new car came with HKS EVC-IV and I have no idea how to use it. Infact, I better ask for instruction.....

·
Turbo Fire Truck Driver
559 Posts
I "heard" and I can't remember where I got this info so take it with a grain of salt... that you're not supposed to use a "fuzzy logic" (i.e. the EVC-IV) with a twin sequential turbo set up. Though it might just be that you're not supposed to use the "autolearn" feature. Anyway, I use one on my VR4 and I like it and haven't had any problems with it. I guess I would've liked to have gotten the AVC-R for it's additional monitoring (IDC) and mapping options since I like to have as much data available as possible, but I've heard it's a pain to set up (horrendously complex).

Wes

C

·
0 Posts
I have the Blitz I-D system and it was easy to program. I actually programed it as I drove home at about 75 mph. It took all of 5 minutes to get it programed.

L

·
0 Posts
The greddy profec B i think is the greatest. Easy to use and accurate. Its just like the EZ but has the low and high settings. Its cool to use the low settings in 1st and maybe 2nd with some power. Then hit high when you know you can hook up. Its like the old school hks evc. The profec even has a remote to switch from low to high, to mount on he steering wheel.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
logb17,

I guess that just as much that you like the Profec B some other hate it. Here's a quote from another thread:
"...i really hate my profec B" by white95supra at:
http://www.supraforums.com/supravb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14769

Go figure. Unless ya'll have different needs.

Carl,

Would it have taken you less time to program had you gone 90mph, instead ? ;)
Seriousely, do you need to be a pro to do it right?

Jay :cool:

C

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got the EVC-IV. It's easy to use and works perfectly. No stupid gains or ratios to mess with. It also automatically trims intself for minimum lag without overboost.

Of course the Stealth/3000GT is a parallel turbo setup. I don't think I'd use it if I had a sequential setup.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jay,

I’m also looking to buy a boost controller, along with a few other BPU electronics, in the very near future.

This is what I’ve gathered after speaking with several “technical experts”:

- The HKS EVC EZ is one of the most reliable and easy to use boost controllers on the market (in sequential or TTC).

- The "fuzzy logic" features of the HKS EVC IV can be disabled and the unit will function as an EVC EZ with some additional features (scramble boost, peak hold, warning, etc).

Therefore, I would say that the EVC IV is a good, reliable boost controller.

If anyone has any input on this I would appreciate it.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
"The "fuzzy logic" features of the HKS EVC IV can be disabled and the unit will function as an EVC EZ with some additional features (scramble boost, peak hold, warning, etc)."

So you're installing an EVC-IV and basically getting the EZ functionality for additional $350 (sequential setup)...

I'll be looking into the online docs and try to figure out if I need all those features.

Thx, gang,

Jay :cool:

·
I own a Lexus
952 Posts
This is off of MVPmotorsports

This unit is best for single turbos or twin turbos running in parallel (i.e. RX7 & 300Z). Sequential turbos (i.e. Supra TT) are better suited to units without fuzzy logic such as the HKS EZ EBC.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My point exactly...

I understand that the Supra TT is more receptive to boost controllers that do not use "fuzzy logic" because of the sequential turbo setup.

However, what I'm considering is the following: Disabling the “fuzzy logic” capabilities of the EVC IV (ie, its self-learn mode) and then take advantage of the best of both worlds: The reliability of the EVC EZ and the added features of the EVC IV.

However, I should clarify that this is based upon what I've been told, and not by what I've experienced. If anyone knows for a fact that this is not possible I would like to hear about it.

I never realized that choosing a boost controller would be nearly this difficult. To tell you the truth, I really can't decide: HKS EVC EZ, HKS EVC IV, Blitz SBC i-D, Apexi AVC-R, Greddy Profec B, and the list goes on...

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Jeremiah,

"I never realized that choosing a boost controller would be nearly this difficult. To tell you the truth, I really can't decide: HKS EVC EZ, HKS EVC IV, Blitz SBC i-D, Apexi AVC-R, Greddy Profec B, and the list goes on..."

I agree with you 100%. I wish there was some consumer-reports like setup, that tabulated all available features, functionality of each feature, known problems and pitfalls to avoid. Well, maybe in 5 years.

I'll probably start with something simple/cheap and then evaluate and "take notes" of "missing" functionality for next-step upgrade.
My 94TT is a daily driver so I need to be careful not to over upgrade with gadgets that may end up screwing up reliability.

Don't really like the fact that what should be a simple process turns into a full time job. Damn!

L

·
0 Posts
If your going with a high end model, which i think is pointless. Personally i would go with the Apexi. There are more features on it then in the EVC. You can set boost levels in each gear to help control traction problems. And you can also set boost at different rpm levels for a more smooth power curve. I still think the profec B is the best. Its the same as the EZ but has a high and low toggle. And its 200 cheaper then the EVC4 and AVC-R

·
0 Posts
Functions:

Setting the volume knob: Whenever you make an adjustment the settings, you may see a flashing L, turn the knob down (counter clockwise), then it will show a flashing H, turn the knob up (clockwise). Turn it back and forth as instructed until it sets itself.

Mode: Allows you to change EVC settings. Hit once for Offset.
2 times for Scramble boost, amount to add to the preset boost (i.e., 0.2bar).
3 times sets the length of time for the "added" scramble boost to last (0-30sec.)
4 times for Overboost Warning Mode. (***This is very important, if it hits higher than the overboost setting, the unit will shut down to stock boost. This will keep you from blowing up your car***) Always set this after you reset the EVC. Put it 0.1 to 0.15 higher than the high boost you are planning on running.

Alt: Switches between high and low boost mode. Lights up Green in Low, Red in High Mode.

Power: Duh!

Scramble Boost: Activates Added boost for the period you set with the mode button.

Resetting the EVC: Hold the top 2 buttons along with the lower right button to reset it. (Mode, ALT, and Scramble)

Tuning for Supra:

Turn the power on and reset the unit.

Turn the knob and set your stock boost.

(if you don't know it, set it at 0.65, hit the scramble button, and then go to redline in third gear. This is your Max stock boost. reset the EVC and then use this number)

Hit the scramble button and then add 0.15 bar to your stock boost (i.e., if your stock boost is 0.9 then enter 1.0) then hit scramble again.

Important: Hit mode 4 times to set your overboost.

Boost will now be set at you stock boost in low mode. Hit ALT to switch to High Boost mode and enter in how much boost you want.

Go do a 3rd gear pull and see if you get the desired boost. If it makes more boost than you want then reset the unit and add 0.5 more to your stock boost (0.2), if you get less, then add 0.5 less (0.1) etc.

If you can only get so close, you will have to use the Offset feature.

Hit the mode button once, and you will see 100. If you are overboosting, turn it up (between 101-150) if you are underboosting turn it down (between 99-50)

TTC Tuning:

Reset the EVC.

Hold down the ALT and Scramble Buttons (the 2 right buttons)
This will put the EVC in Learning Mode and display a L on the screen.

In third gear, accelerate until the EVC beeps and displays an H. (this may or may not be to redline.

Again in 3rd gear, from the same RPM as the first pull, go all the way to redline and let off. The unit should then beep and show your stock boost. Go ahead and set your overboost and then your desired boost level.

If you don't get desired boost (assuming its realistic), or it didn't go from L to H, you need to start from scratch.

If you still don't get the desired boost, you can use the offset button explained above to fine tune things.

If you can't get the unit to go from L to H, then you are either doing something wrong (i.e., not following instructions or are in Sequential mode). or you have some sort of vacuum or boost leak that is making boost inconsistent, keeping the EVC from learning your boost curve.

I take no responsibility for your actions, but as long as you set your overboost correctly you shouldn't be able to blow up anything. For the record all test pulls should be done on a closed racetrack

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NERVOUS,

W. Hwd & Agoura Hills

2 RIP,

Do you work for NASA???
Thanks for your detailed post. I think you just convinced me to look elsewhere...

Jay :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts