Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, i finally decided to make the switch from MBC to EBC for two reasons;

- The car overboosted in cold weather and there was no protection against it
- Got tired of having to pop the hood, turn the MBC down, testrun, stop, pop the hood, adjust a little more, test, etc etc...

After reading up on the different brands, i felt that the HKS EVC-S would suit my needs. Solid brand and neat looking controller all for $318.

I did run into a major problem trying to get the controller dialed in, which i will address later on.

The arrival

Contents as seen on nearly every website selling the product

Quick sketch of how it all hooks into the central control module

Solenoid hooked up to the car, getting pressure from the turbo into the NC port, and going out the COM port to the top of the wastegate, leaving the center NO port open.

Although the wiring was very easy (hooked the EVC into switched power of the turbo timer and grounded to chassis), i had to pull a lot of stuff out of the way to route the wiring behind the dash.

Installed and looking clean as ever

As if it came like that from factory. No need for the stupid warning lights telling me my seatbelt is loose, my lights are broken, my battery is dead, etc.

Boost setting 'A' at 0.0psi on an unstarted car. The screen has bright white lighting which has excellent visibility during the day. (* the screen must be installed at an slight downward angle, as per the manual, otherwise you can't hardly seen anthing)

Boost setting 'A'. Setting the offset (boost increase) at 31%. This yields 16.6psi in 3rd gear and 17.4psi in 4th gear. Responce is set at 10%, but since the boostcurves are nice as is, i didn't really mess with that. Overboost value was set to 3.0psi. By default this is set to 11.6psi which caused my car to go nuts (25psi @ half throttle @ 4k rpm). On the first testrun I lifted as soon as i got on it pretty much. This was the problem i mentioned earlier. I expected the default setting to be safe, it was not. In order to find the problem, i disconnected the hose at the top of the wastegate and routed this to my boostgauge. This allowed me to drive around at wastegate spring pressure (11psi) under WOT, while monitoring the EVC's pressure-out on my boostgauge. While playing with the settings and doing multiple runs i came to find the Overboost value was to blame and it needed to be lowered to < 5.0psi to prevent uncontrollable 'wastegate fully shut' type of boost. I ended up setting it to 3.0psi to be safe.

Warning was set to 17.9psi. (Drop Boost was left at the default setting of 100%).

Boost warning feature in action. Car hits 18.0psi at 4500rpm and triggers the warning dropping back to 11psi wastegate spring pressure.

3rd gear WOT pull, 16.6psi max boost. Started at 16.1psi and climbed towards redline. I liked it, no need for adjustments.

4th gear WOT pull, 17.4psi max boost, falling to 16.7 at redline. I still liked it, didn't feel like adjusting to fix a 0.7psi drop.

Both the 3rd and 4th gear pulls were done at exactly the same settings. For reference, i looked back at an old log in my Map-Ecu and noticed that on an old logged wot run (with MBC), i made 16.8psi at 5500, dropping to 15.6 at 6500prm. A large 1.2psi drop in just 1000rpm.

I might play with the controller more later (responce setting; try to get a completely solid boostfigure across the board). But for now it will be set like this.

RECAP

- Quality product (looks, material, screen brightness, etc)
- Good price ($318 total)
- Easy install

- DANGEROUS DEFAULT SETTINGS (start with a very low Overboost Value and not the default 11.6psi !!!)

- Solid boost control
- Turn unit off for spring pressure, or use 'A' or 'B' for 2 different boost settings.
- Working warning feature with boost drop.
- Lockable to prevent unwanted alterations

Luke.

*** EDIT, HKS EVC-S English manual download link
http://www.94supra.com/misc/hks evcs manual english.zip

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,891 Posts
Thanks for sharing this info ! Bought this unit about 2-3 months ago and install will be this week

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Like I stated in my response to your original post, excellent info Luke94; it'll really help me when I get off my a$% and install the EVC-S.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the writeup Luke. BTW, what happens if you set the overboost value <3?
No problem.

I dropped it to 0.00 to find out this was causing the spike. Found that 5.0 was the turnaround point on my car, where it spikes above, but not below. Lowered it a little more to be safe, car runs fine now, and the boostcontroller does what it needs to do. All i can think of is that it is some kind of setting to help the EVC determine how rigid your wastegate spring is.

Anyone that can chime in on the Overboost Value, please do.

Thanks for sharing this info ! Bought this unit about 2-3 months ago and install will be this week
:) Good luck, feel free to post up your experiences once it's in.

Like I stated in my response to your original post, excellent info Luke94; it'll really help me when I get off my a$% and install the EVC-S.
Your welcome. Besides the fact that i love doing write ups etc, i also found that there is very little information to be found from people running the EVC-S (too new?), so this should help out supra as well as non-supra people searching through google.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,891 Posts
Will do. Yea, It's relatively new to the market so hopefully those with it can come forward with info.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Luke

I was just thinking to get an EVC-S too
No problem, it is a cool little thing. I hadn't mentioned in the thread, but going through the menu's and the button-controller on the evc-s is very easy and fast to do. (just mentioning it since i know how much trouble i have doing anything on my Greddy Turbo Timer (it's a nightmare)).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
No problem, it is a cool little thing. I hadn't mentioned in the thread, but going through the menu's and the button-controller on the evc-s is very easy and fast to do. (just mentioning it since i know how much trouble i have doing anything on my Greddy Turbo Timer (it's a nightmare)).
Luke94 I assume you're talking about the Greddy Full Auto Timer?

I had one on my Evo (and it was OK), but a pain to access the other features of the unit, like the performance timing functions.

I hope my yet to be installed HKS Turbo Timer Type-1 (the one that matches the EVC-S) is easier to use.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. Your car looks hella clean for the mileage too. And good placement on the front, it fits real good there!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luke94 I assume you're talking about the Greddy Full Auto Timer?

I had one on my Evo (and it was OK), but a pain to access the other features of the unit, like the performance timing functions.

I hope my yet to be installed HKS Turbo Timer Type-1 (the one that matches the EVC-S) is easier to use.
Full Auto Timer indeed, it works fine when set, but having to push and hold multiple buttons to flip through the menu's is a nightmare.

Thanks for the writeup. Your car looks hella clean for the mileage too. And good placement on the front, it fits real good there!
Thanks Cherzra, the car actually looked like a wreck when i bought it @ 134.000, but is now looking better then ever :). I also bought the EVC not knowing where to fit it, but it came natural once i started the install, couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice install, i have now also bought the HKS EVC-S and have it install now to. But i don't know how the setup it. The car is Supra MKIV TT BPU. I want to boost between 12psi and 16psi.

I was driving the car today on the defaults settings and the car does not reposnd on the boost nicely, no controll over the boost.

How should i setup the Offset" "Response" and "Over Boost?

Thanks

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice install, i have now also bought the HKS EVC-S and have it install now to. But i don't know how the setup it. The car is Supra MKIV TT BPU. I want to boost between 12psi and 16psi.

I was driving the car today on the defaults settings and the car does not reposnd on the boost nicely, no controll over the boost.

How should i setup the Offset" "Response" and "Over Boost?

Thanks
I think you're having the following problem;

A stock supra TT runs 11.6psi from factory. Once you BPU the car (i'm assuming downpipe and intake) you are improving the breathing of the car, and the car will automatically boost higher. This happens mostly by the reduced backpressure of a downpipe. You're boost will be around 16psi standard and even higher in cold weather. ( i know i could hit 1.2bar in the cold with just the downpipe and intake added)

Now, the problem with a boostcontroller is that it cannot lower boost, it can only raise it from where its default value is.

If you are looking for recommended settings for the EVC-S, i'd say put your WARNING value at your max psi. (18psi for 93 pump gas) with a drop value of 100%.

Then set your OFFSET, RESPONCE, and OVERBOOST at 0.0

I believe the OVERBOOST is kind of like the "spring pressure" setting on other boostcontrollers. By default it is set at 11psi or something like that. This is very high. Start from 0 and up it from there 1psi at a time. What i believe it is doing is holding the wastegate shut firmly until it hits this value, and then starts opening.
(example, mine is set at 3psi on a tial 38mm wastegate with a 10psi spring)

OFFSET will be used to raise boost. Do this in slow steps to see how your car responds to input.

RESPONCE can be done last, since this only tries to improve spoolup and keep your psi's at a constant level.

Hope this helps,

Luke.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,891 Posts
No problems on single here Krister. Rock solid unit, easy install, great fitment due to size. Installed on a single & holds boost solid, no spikes. Aem map shows it !
Had 2 friends purchase this unit, single as well.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
No problems on single here Krister. Rock solid unit, easy install, great fitment due to size. Installed on a single & holds boost solid, no spikes. Aem map shows it !
Had 2 friends purchase this unit, single as well.
Great. I'm definately going to get one. My EVC5 is acting up sometimes (boost fluctuating from 1 to 2bars), I think the solenoid is shot as when it's acting up, it's making a different sound than normally.

What I like about the EVC-S solenoid is that the ports on it seem to be threaded so I can use some AN fittings and some fancy braided hose instead of my current rubber hoses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok thanks for the help Luke, i have now try to setup it and have put the offset to 25% with this i got
14.5psi, the response i set to 10%. First i was set the overboost to 0 and notice that i didn't get any spool up from the beginning from the turbos, tried with higher psi levels and endning up setting it to 12psi. Warning was set to 17.5psi and drop value to 100%.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok thanks for the help Luke, i have now try to setup it and have put the offset to 25% with this i got
14.5psi, the response i set to 10%. First i was set the overboost to 0 and notice that i didn't get any spool up from the beginning from the turbos, tried with higher psi levels and endning up setting it to 12psi. Warning was set to 17.5psi and drop value to 100%.
No problem. I must say you ended up with quite a high overboost setting in comparison with my car, but if it works that is fine. I'm sure you would agree that it never hurts to start out with safe (low) settings and proceed from there. Different cars simply require different settings.

Now have fun boosting :D

·
Boost Addicted.
1,217 Posts
Good review Luke94 ... I'm also planing to get it soon.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts