Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your guys' opinion on it?

I need to get a fuel cut defencer to raise fuel cut up to 30psi since i will be boosting 25psi for the track.

Now........what is in your opinion the best boost cut controller?

I was hoping for the Greddy BCC but apparently greddy does not sell one for the MK3.

All info is appreciated. Yes I have an S-AFC, but I highly doubt it will raise fuel cut 15psi.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
honestly if you're boosting 25psi, I think you're going to be straying a bit too far from Toyota's base tuning to be relying on piggybacks. The FCD is an OK way around fuel cut for cars with light mods, but capping the AFM's output is really less than ideal.

Have you considered a standalone like the AEM EMS? It'll allow you to have full control over timing in addition to air fuel ratios, fuel cut boost levels, etc. Plus you can tune for normal driving too (whereas piggy-backs just get over-ruled once the stock ECU gets feedback from the o2 sensor)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Take my advice from the az forum. the fcd is a HUGE mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if you do a search here you will find so much info and the problems it has caused for others.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
If you can afford to spend the money to be boosting 30psi, you can afford the proper electronics to do it correctly. A standalone is going to be your best and pretty much only bet if you want to boost that much.

If you search around a bit you will see that once the FCD clamps the signal, you can not adjust your fuel any more. Therefore it will continue to get leaner and leaner depending on where the FCD clamps it.

An AFC and proper tuning has proven many times over to be able to go above 20psi without fuel cut and works fine. I'm not sure about 30psi, but like I said, if you can afford to run that much boost and have the motor built to do it, a 100 dollar FCD would be a stupid investment.

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be looking into a full standalone fuel management system and pricing on installation.

Any idea on a good standalone? For EMS systems I'm kinda leaning towards the AEM standalone unit.

Anyone here with standalone for some feedback?

·
2,275 Posts
Motech is from what i was told the best!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just bought my aem I love it .. talk to Ron at horsepower freaks good guy to deal with ..I think the lists for $1700 .. they also sell kits that give you everything you need as far as sensors and stuff (wide band map sensor intake temp )

·
Registered
487 Posts
Stand alone is not that easy to use. A lot of time is needed to tune it. If it was easy as SAFC alot of people here already use it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Read more carefully,he didn't say it couldn't be done. To boost that high properlly,without running lean is through standalone. The EMS isn't that hard to tune,you just need to bring it to the proper shop. For the things you get with EMS,it is well worth the money. Not having 50billion gauges in your car is only one of the pluses of the EMS.

As far as raising boost is concerrned,you can just back out the AFM screw and use a FPR to run a better mixture.

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure Ryan Woon is a compotent tuner :bigthumb:

Anyways I'll be looking into the AEM EMS. With that setup will I need an FCD or will the AEM get rid of that for me?

·
Registered
206 Posts
AEM is pretty much a full stand alone with all the sensors. I can't wait to get mine.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
87turbosupra said:
I'm pretty sure Ryan Woon is a compotent tuner :bigthumb:

Anyways I'll be looking into the AEM EMS. With that setup will I need an FCD or will the AEM get rid of that for me?

Standalone = NO MORE stock ECU, therefore no cut and no pesky crap that the stock ECU does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts