Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anygot got any bad experience with the HKS FCD?
I read on MKIV.com that they didnt recomend it? Why is that so?

M

·
0 Posts
Don't go near it, terrible product w/ many problems- just get the Greddy BCC and boost happily :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
hks fcd

i had the hks fcd on my car for approx. 2 years. had no problems with boost cut etc. but the second turbo didn't come on very smooth. i switched the hks out with the greddy bcc last weekend and the second turbo comes on so smooth now. i am not sure of the technical aspect of this, but search for phil panas' email address and ask him. he can give you all the tech stuff you need as to why not to use the hks.

if you haven't installed anything yet, trust me and go with the greddy.

ryan

·
0 Posts
Me too! I have had an FCD for close to 4 years now and never had a problem. I know other people too with FCDs and no problems. Actually I have had friends with BCCs (usually tuning problems) who have experienced more problems than any of the FCD guys. hmmmmmmmmmmm.... i read the articles of FCD vs BCC, and they make sense in theory, but I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced associated with the installation of an FCD?

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
1/4mile in style said:
Me too! I have had an FCD for close to 4 years now and never had a problem. I know other people too with FCDs and no problems. Actually I have had friends with BCCs (usually tuning problems) who have experienced more problems than any of the FCD guys. hmmmmmmmmmmm.... i read the articles of FCD vs BCC, and they make sense in theory, but I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced associated with the installation of an FCD?
If you try a BCC after you have an FCD in your car, you will notice that the 2nd turbo comes on much more smoothly. The FCD causes the 2nd turbo to be slam-started, which (obviously) much harder on it than when it gets properly prespooled. The 2nd turbo won't fail right away, but the repeated slam-starting makes it much more likely that the turbo will go south prematurely.

·
Very Senior Member
9,949 Posts
The FCD was on my car when I bought it.
I have 104K miles now - it probably has been on there for a long time. I haven't noticed any problems.
Two questions:
1. should I replace it with BCC? (sounds like yes)
2. Is the FCD removal just disconnecting the wires (opposite of the install shown on mkiv.com faq)?

J

·
0 Posts
i have HKS FCD on my car too, never had any problem and my stock turbo running very smooth, i am sure that HKS product is better than GReddy, you get what you pay for, man;)

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
VickSupra said:
The FCD was on my car when I bought it.
I have 104K miles now - it probably has been on there for a long time. I haven't noticed any problems.
Two questions:
1. should I replace it with BCC? (sounds like yes)
2. Is the FCD removal just disconnecting the wires (opposite of the install shown on mkiv.com faq)?
1) Yes.
2) Yes. The BCC should plug right in where you remove the FCD.

JZA80Supra said:
i have HKS FCD on my car too, never had any problem...
The problem doesn't manifest itself immediately - it is a long-term reliability problem, not an immediate failure.

...and my stock turbo running very smooth...
Which "stock turbo" is "running smooth"? #1 or #2?

... i am sure that HKS product is better than GReddy...
Have you tried both? If not, upon what do you base this opinion?

...you get what you pay for, man
Generally I agree that a more expensive (equivalent) product typically has advantages, but in this case the two products do competely different things. Your statement is like saying a diamond ring is a better tool to pound in a nail - just because the ring is more expensive, doesn't mean it is better for the job than a hammer. The HKS FCD circuit does not support proper sequential operation of the oem turbos...period. The HKS FCD circuit just does not work correctly. The BCC is a very simple circuit (hence the lower cost) and it does the job perfectly.

M

·
0 Posts
Well I will say that my friend just installed him and he's had a ton of problems w/ it- #2 not coming on, etc.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
WhynotSS said:
Here's what #7 says...let's dissect this a step at a time:
Contrary to what several people claim, Powerhouse Racing has sold and installed dozens of HKS FCDs without any problems whatsoever...
Again, the FCD doesn't cause an immediate failure, it only increases the chances of a longer-term issue with #2 turbo. Can the FCD proponents say no one has ever had a #2 failure?

...The Greddy BCC limits voltage to a value lower than the FCD, resulting in a slightly leaner air-fuel ratio above 4000 RPM. This fact has been proven on our chassis dyno on countless occassions. This is the reason many people believe that the car runs stronger with the BCC...
Is this also the reason why most BPU supras are known to run rich? A "slightly leaner" air-fuel ratio above 4000 rpm may not be a problem. Also note that, according to every bit of documentation on the mkiv from Toyota, the turbo pressure sensor has nothing to do with fuel maps or timing maps.

...The HKS FCD offers a full range of adjustability so that you could clamp at a lower value like the BCC does, but we normally run the standard value...
Actually, the FCD corrupts the turbo pressure sensor signal throughout the entire voltage range, unless the FCD is set to cut fuel at the same point as oem. As soon as you adjust fuel cut above that point, the signal is corrupt. The BCC passes an uncorrupted signal until it maxes out at exactly where you need it to prevent fuel cut.

...Also, a few folks claim that the FCD corrupts other ECM signals. This is completely false since the (PIM) Turbo Pressure Sensor input is located on a filtered, and completely separate circuit that can have no effect on other inputs...
I've never read anything about the BCC saying that other ECM signals are corrupted. What gets corrupted is the PIM/TPS signal itself - when the FCD is set to entirely prevent fuel cut, the TPS signal sends a false value to the ECU at all pressure levels. The BCC only affects the signal at pressure values above what would cause a fuel cut.

...Again, in 7 years of use we have had NO problem with the FCD whatsoever and PHR continues to sell and install them. Remember that what may seem likely in a laboratory or on a computer screen may not hold true under real-world circumstances...
Again, just because there are no noticeable problems as the car leaves the shop, doesn't mean that there will be no problems down the road. I agree that PHR is a highly reputable shop and that it does quality work. Their work on high-horsepower supras with upgraded turbos has no equal. On the other hand, please note that they do not say anywere that the BCC will not work, nor that it will cause any specific type of failure. The FCD does prevent fuel cut, and works perfectly for non-sequential turbo setups (single turbo, TTC, or upgraded twin turbos running in parallel). The BCC works better than the FCD for bpu supras in sequential turbo mode.

WhynotSS said:
...Additionally, my friend(NERVOUS) talked to HKS and Greddy representitives and he concluded that the HKS unit is the better one.
Please get your friend to tell us how he came to that conclusion. Barring an explanation, I can only conclude that the HKS sales reps were more skilled than the GReddy ones... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts