Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that HKS uses these turbos on the Skyline. I know somebody who wants to sell me some they are cheaper than
the 2835 I know they dont make as much power. But a lot more
power than bpu. He told me with a custom exhaust manifold
I sold be able to use them. Hey supra pros is that true?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theman said:
If they are the T25 flange version they will bolt right up to the HKS twin manifolds...
Hey thanks for the info. I know on the 2835s' they recommend
upgraded cams. Would you have to do that on the 2530s'?
I would like to keep my cams stock.

·
Registered
458 Posts
No problemo...

You don't have to but it may help squeeze some extra HP out... Once you get the turbos on and working then you can always worry about upgrading cams later if it's not enough for you. But I think you'd be fine with an extra 100 or so HP for a little while, then you could nitpick and get that extra 25 or so with the addition of the right cams later.

Remember baby steps, learn to walk before you run a really, really, fast sprint...

·
Registered
284 Posts
won't fit, 2540R are the only smaller twin without either defeating the purpose of twins or way to much custom work.. skyline guys run that against 2540 kits and get crushed.. but if you have your mind set goodluck!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Suprescene is again pushing what he seems to know as pure fact...

2530 with correct flange will fit just fine and give you much more than the stock turbos as far as airflow...

It's really simple logic when looking at the actual size of the turbos... Lets take the Garret line of turbos for an example. Say you start out with two GT15 trubos, which are relatively close in size and capability to the Toyota CT12 that give you around 400 hp air flow capability, then you move up to two GT25 turbos which give you about 500 hp worth of capability. That's basically what you're looking at doing.

Now Suprascene is right, if you use 2540R versus a 2530 you would get more power, because even though they're both based on the GT25 turbos the 2540R or any R series HKS for that matter has a more effecient setup for more power in the top end. BUT you are looking at a really good deal on two 2530 and not 2540R. So if you can get these at a great price in the right flange and actually get a hold of an HKS twin turbo header set with WGs you will be in business for possibly a couple of grand less than the average GT2835 twin kit. You won't be a 9 second street supra but you will still have a decent setup that can be tuned to squash most vehicles on the street, including Suprascene's stock twin setup...
:cool:

·
Registered
353 Posts
theman said:
You won't be a 9 second street supra but you will still have a decent setup that can be tuned to squash most vehicles on the street, including Suprascene's stock twin setup...
Good one ;)

-m

·
Registered
284 Posts
Call HKS ask them yourself, what I said was fact from what I was told directly. Don't believe me then just call.

Also squash my setup? The 2530 setup is fine for the streets might even be like comparing a t66 to a t78 both are fine for the streets but one will pull.. I asked HKS reps and people who have actually had experience with the setups (skyline owners) and I just know what I have been told. The 2530 setup is fine but will need heavy modification, as the 2540R setup will not need as much and is almost as simple as a bolt on to the manifold. The 2530s will make around 500 + or - on a skyline properly tuned. The 2540R's will make 590 + or - propely tuned on a skyline. These are the numbers I was given, so one has a bit bit bit more top end then the other but spool time will be similar. Going with such small twins defeats the purpose really, and HKS said that I agree. Go with a nice single instead of an expensive twin setup.. Also the R setups are more top end, I would have rather gone 2540 like going 2835 instead of 2835R but HKS said the 2540 would be lacking and also wouldn't match up with the header like the 2530..

theman said:
Suprescene is again pushing what he seems to know as pure fact...

2530 with correct flange will fit just fine and give you much more than the stock turbos as far as airflow...

It's really simple logic when looking at the actual size of the turbos... Lets take the Garret line of turbos for an example. Say you start out with two GT15 trubos, which are relatively close in size and capability to the Toyota CT12 that give you around 400 hp air flow capability, then you move up to two GT25 turbos which give you about 500 hp worth of capability. That's basically what you're looking at doing.

Now Suprascene is right, if you use 2540R versus a 2530 you would get more power, because even though they're both based on the GT25 turbos the 2540R or any R series HKS for that matter has a more effecient setup for more power in the top end. BUT you are looking at a really good deal on two 2530 and not 2540R. So if you can get these at a great price in the right flange and actually get a hold of an HKS twin turbo header set with WGs you will be in business for possibly a couple of grand less than the average GT2835 twin kit. You won't be a 9 second street supra but you will still have a decent setup that can be tuned to squash most vehicles on the street, including Suprascene's stock twin setup...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Suprascene actually has a good point in there... If you really want to do it right and get over 500 rwhp while still being far cheaper than any twin kit you piece together go with a nice single. The basic SP57 kit will hit around 500 without much trouble and will be creating boost allot sooner than most twin kits. And you'll still be saving at least a grand, even if you get those 2530s at a good price. Remember you're easily paying over $3k for the HKS twin header/starter setup. Plus, if you go with a nice single like that with everything included it will not only save you money but also time and aggrevation. Everything will come from one place at one time and you would have your car back on the street in a week most likely if you have a decent mechanic or know enough yourself.
The other route could put you in the months if you're waiting for a couple of parts here and there or need some custom piping done or whatever.

Suprascene has his moments, and it's just so easy to get the flame started...:cool:

·
Registered
458 Posts
By the way just to straighten out some of this stuff for those who aren't getting this turbo comparison stuff... I used the example of the Garrett line just to get some consistency in sizing so you'd get the idea. Comparing a Turbonetics or Innovative T66 and a Greddy T78 is not a good idea. And actually the spooling of the two aren't very different unless you're using a tang/divided housing matched to the appropriate header on the T66 with a ceramic ball bearing center section or other various factors that don't need to be brought into this.
Various companies use various naming scemes for their Turbo lines so don't get confused going form one to another.
Greddy's T78 and a similarly spec'd Turbonetics T66 will both give similar dyno graphs and HP outputs, but you'd probably want to run better than stock fuel setups, and there's also so much to be said for tuning, like when timing is brought in can determine exhaust temp and get a turbo moving sooner or later. If it helps you can look at it like this, a lot of decent sized single kits start with something like a Garrett T4 based turbo, which you can do a wide range of options or variations to get boost and HP characteristics to an individual's liking...

W

·
0 Posts
I have had both 2530s and 2835s on my Supra. I made 525 rwhp with the 2530s at 22 psi and 765 rwhp with the 2835s at 28 psi. A twin 2530 kit is just a little larger than a TS04 turbo. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts