Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install a set purchased second hand.

1) can the car be left at stock height. ill need to put it on a trailer and i dont think i can do if it is lowered. was hoping to play around with the new setup before it goes on the trailer (will get alignment later)

2) My car has 35k on it. will i need control arm bushing kit?

3) do you recommend that I change anything else?

4) Will i need to get an alignment every time i change the height

5) can i just play around with the car at a scca event without having done the alignment on the car. will it be useful and educational or will an alignment be needed?

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
sks said:
I'm about to install a set purchased second hand.

1) can the car be left at stock height. ill need to put it on a trailer and i dont think i can do if it is lowered. was hoping to play around with the new setup before it goes on the trailer (will get alignment later)

2) My car has 35k on it. will i need control arm bushing kit?

3) do you recommend that I change anything else?

4) Will i need to get an alignment every time i change the height

5) can i just play around with the car at a scca event without having done the alignment on the car. will it be useful and educational or will an alignment be needed?

THANKS!!!
I'll try to answer some of your questions to the best of my ability.

2. I dont think you need to change out any bushings at all if you have 35k miles unless you just want to upgrade to stiffer polyurethane ones

4. Yes, it is recommended that you get it realigned everytime you adjust the height. If not, then alot of us would make adjustments all the time.

5. Sure, you can drive it around but handling wont be optimal and same with the tire wear.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are a good man, california brotha. is that sc turbocharged? im think of getting a sc300 as a dd. Is it easy to change the height on the car or do u have jack it up and do some tedious mumbojumbo everytime you wnat to tinker with it. I missed the UPS delivery today

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can i get some more input pretty please???

·
[H][K][S] whore!
437 Posts
xknowonex pretty much covered it all. You can make adjustments on the fly by just jacking the car up and removing the wheel. If you want to go back to stock height, you'll have to unbolt the coilover from the lower arm. The spring compression is just too tight to adjust it to near stock height while bolted in.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. So, i can start at stock height, and lower. HOWEVER going back to stock height can be a pain?

·
[H][K][S] whore!
437 Posts
I honestly dont know if you can even go exactly back up to stock height, but you are right it will be easier to lower than it would be to raise it up.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. they just arrived.

1. I still to know if they allow me to retain stock height
2. Height adjustment is done by the wrench on the side. How tight should the lock nut be?
3. How do i adjust ride? I have this needle think that seems to fit in up top. It seems like the it will snap if turn too hard. is it suppose to be an easy turn. counter cloockwise means harder or softer. Clockwise means???

THANKS!

·
Registered
244 Posts
sks said:
Ok. they just arrived.

1. I still to know if they allow me to retain stock height
2. Height adjustment is done by the wrench on the side. How tight should the lock nut be?
3. How do i adjust ride? I have this needle think that seems to fit in up top. It seems like the it will snap if turn too hard. is it suppose to be an easy turn. counter cloockwise means harder or softer. Clockwise means???

THANKS!

1. call hks, they have a customer service number for a reason.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not certain since hte are secondhand. we believe that they are hks hipermax IIs

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HKS doesnt know how low they go just having it on the heighest height setting. Does any have an idea?

Any advice for ride/height adjustments?

should i just start at teh softest and highest ride height?

To turn clockwise is the make the ride harsher?

to compress the spring more is to make the car lower?

how tight should the height locking nut be?

What ride settings do you have on your supra?

Im sorry for a newby questions. i just want to make sure i've done it right

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've installed 3/4 in 6-7hrs. The front driver side is a pain because the control arm has to come off and the washer fluid reservoir is in the way. The front stabilizer bar was a pain bc the nut would not unthread even though it was turning. i had to use a vice gip to hold the shaft down and i think i make have made the fluids within come out. will that be a problem. a pic of the stabilizer bar is below.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also can anyone confirm whether these coilovers are hipermax?

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,331 Posts
In the 1st image, the purple part will turn and compress the spring, you need a adjustment tool from HKS for that.

Here is an example how the tool looks like.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Jpanese Tuning in Plain English

Those are the first generation HyperMaxI... On ALL "coilovers" the adjustable threaded spring seat collars are for setting spring preload, not ride height.

Loosening the preload will cause the car to lower, to a point... but it will give you a lousy ride and increase the chance of damaging the shock. Adding preload will naturally cause the car the rise up, to a point... the range to lower and raise is not that much.

Coilovers that are designed to lower the car will have another separate adjustable threaded collar below the spring seat collars...and will give you much more range of heights, as seen on these HyperMaxIII. This allows you to raise or lower the car without affecting the spring preload or ride quality.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
^^^ while I agree that that is the best design to adjust ride height that dosent mean that other coilovers arent designed to lower or adjust ride height. Tein coilovers for example.... They say ride height adjustable but nothing about setting preload. But yet they only have one area for adjustments... below the spring. I would assume it would have the same effect as putting lowering springs on oem shocks but you got h&r, eibach, Tein, and idk how many other spring options and they all offer different ride heights and are compatible with kyb, and blistein soooo its not exactly the same wear as you would think.

Edit.... This is off mvp

Tein Basic Coilovers for 1993-98 Supra Part # Tein DSL18-LUSS2 If you are looking for ride-height adjustable coilovers and are on a tight budget, these Tein Basic coilovers are the answer!

Note that you can not adjust the dampening (softness or hardness) of your ride with these coilovers, only the height of your car.

These coilovers are not compatible with Tein upper pillowball mounts nor the Tein EDFC system.

Their spring rate is: Front: 14.0 kg/mm / 784 lbs/in Rear: 8.0 kg/mm / 448 lbs/in

·
Registered
169 Posts
anyone knows where can I purchase some lowering springs for these? cuz my car sits a bit high on these coilovers and I've already lower it to the max where it can't go anymore lower.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Japanese Tuning in Plain English

^^^ while I agree that that is the best design to adjust ride height that dosent mean that other coilovers arent designed to lower or adjust ride height. Tein coilovers for example.... They say ride height adjustable but nothing about setting preload. But yet they only have one area for adjustments... below the spring. I would assume it would have the same effect as putting lowering springs on oem shocks but you got h&r, eibach, Tein, and idk how many other spring options and they all offer different ride heights and are compatible with kyb, and blistein soooo its not exactly the same wear as you would think.

Edit.... This is off mvp

Tein Basic Coilovers for 1993-98 Supra Part # Tein DSL18-LUSS2 If you are looking for ride-height adjustable coilovers and are on a tight budget, these Tein Basic coilovers are the answer!

Note that you can not adjust the dampening (softness or hardness) of your ride with these coilovers, only the height of your car.

These coilovers are not compatible with Tein upper pillowball mounts nor the Tein EDFC system.

Their spring rate is: Front: 14.0 kg/mm / 784 lbs/in Rear: 8.0 kg/mm / 448 lbs/in
Yes, I'm aware of this and MVP is merely stating what the manufacturer has stated.
The problem is, Tein is a Japanese company and Translating Japanese isn't the same as Interpreting Japanese.

Again, the fact of the matter is... changing the preload on ANY coilover will result an adjustment of ride height, but it won't be much and the ride quality and reliability will suffer...

btw, albert92078 just proved my point, and I'm also an authorized Tein dealer.

"cuz my car sits a bit high on these coilovers and I've already lower it to the max where it can't go anymore lower."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts