Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Big D. Moderator
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.. currently i have an tiny beat up K&N attatched directly to my maf(doubt its any better then stock) and am thinking about getting a max air box and a super mega HKS intake.
what gains SHOULD i expect? and will there be a noticable seat of the pants increase?
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I felt a slight improvement in throttle response with the K&N drop in and the lid removed, probably not more than 5 HP or so but slightly better at all RPM. The Max Air intake has supposedly been proven to add 8 to 10 RWHP peak on the dyno and helps the whole range. A friend of mine has one and says you can definitely feel it, and it makes good power after lots of runs, while a regular filter would be getting hotter from the engine. The filter still feels cold to the touch after blasting around, so it's looks like something I need to get.

I don't think a cone filter without an insulated box around it is much better than a K&N panel except for looks and sound, although that counts for something :D

·
776 Posts
It's not the power that I am most happy about but rather the numerous consecutive runs without dramatic power loss because of the cooler intake temp. I doubt a open filter is any good at all since you will be sucking really hot air. The stock box I assume would be better than that.

·
3,148 Posts
Just go with the "MAX AIR" with the K&N filter. The HKS intake will not give you any power over the K&N x-treme filter that comes with the kit. The K&N actually filters better than the HKS. The gain is coming from blocking out the hot air not from the filter itself. As far as the "MAX AIR" is concerned, it will give a BPU Supra 8-10rwhp on the street vs. an open element filter and 8-10rwhp on the dyno and street vs. the stock airbox. On the dyno most people have the hood open so the air is typically not that hot. This is why you won't see a gain on the dyno for the "MAX AIR" vs an open element filter.

Later, Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts