Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at the HKS sport and the Tanabe Hyper i have a 86.5 n/a. I dont want it to sound like a honda with open exhaust,I wanna keep the chrisp smooth sound it has right now. Ive heard good things about the tanabe but has anybody had the hks sport exhaust?

The hks comes with the r2 tip if you search for it in google itll show a pic with all of the tips it looks kinda close to stock im wondering what it sounds like and what hp gains id get.

Would the tanabe be too big for me?

I tryed to search but search bitch slapped me and told me to go away. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
To my knowledge most all of the catbacks you are going to find are meant for the Turbo model so they probably wont fit properly on your N/A

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
are you looking at just mufflers or catbacks?

i know HKS has a video on their site you can watch, it should give you a pretty good idea of what it will sound like

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Boostedmkiii said:
are you looking at just mufflers or catbacks?

i know HKS has a video on their site you can watch, it should give you a pretty good idea of what it will sound like
yea they had a 330i bimmer and a g35 i think both of which have a very diffrent sound to me atleast im looking at catbacks and im starting to wonder about the fitment issue now.......

I was looking at some pics and such the exhausts from the cat back look to be exactly the same same hangers same brackets same spots so i dont see why it wouldnt fit the only problem would be the size on the pipe going from the stock like 2.25 to 3 inch RIGHT at the cat, Would that be a problem?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Just run a stock turbo cat-back and that should suffice for both sound and performance... the 3 inch exhaust maybe too big for N/A? don;t you guys need back pressure or something?

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KINGPIN33 said:
Just run a stock turbo cat-back and that should suffice for both sound and performance... the 3 inch exhaust maybe too big for N/A? don;t you guys need back pressure or something?
yes we do but as you prolly already know resenators and mufflers add back pressure so take the tanabe system that has a oval style muffler and a resenator that would most likely be enough back pressure.

isnt a stock turbo catback the same size and everything?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Stock is small, dont know off the top of my head exactly, but its small. thats why a turbo back exhaust buys us about 6psi.

Even at its smallest point the Tanabe is still just under 3".

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
92SupraMan said:
Stock is small, dont know off the top of my head exactly, but its small. thats why a turbo back exhaust buys us about 6psi.

Even at its smallest point the Tanabe is still just under 3".
i remember somebody saying awhile back that they were the same size and looking at some manuals and other things they look like the exact same exhaust from the cat back and i wouldnt hiestate to say it is for building costs and such it would be a good plan to do that.

anyways ive seen a couple of guys buy the pace setter n/a exhaust for a cheap stock replacement so i dont see how it wouldnt fit im more worried about back pressure than fit im pretty sure this system will give me enough.

http://www.suprasport.com/product.asp?itemid=25&catid=44

seeing it has a 4.5 inch tip just turned me off of it my n/a cant back that up itll just be rice with a huge tip like that ima go with the hks sport exhaust thanks guys.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oh, wait are you wondering if stock turbo and NA are the same? Because I think your rite there.

And yes the Tanabe is a great system I have had mine for a while now and love it. But im not sure what it would sound like on an NA? With the cat on there your back pressure should be about the same as it was before. Plus if you go NA-t or full swap your exhaust is already about done.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
92SupraMan said:
Oh, wait are you wondering if stock turbo and NA are the same? Because I think your rite there.

And yes the Tanabe is a great system I have had mine for a while now and love it. But im not sure what it would sound like on an NA? With the cat on there your back pressure should be about the same as it was before. Plus if you go NA-t or full swap your exhaust is already about done.
yea im not gonna swap or go boost im gonna spray it tho nothin big just a lil 75 shot i think im just gonna grab the hks sport its pretty cheap it looks like the exhaust i have right now just silver :lol: so ill see if i like it if not ill chop off the muffler and weld something on i like :bigthumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts