Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys need some advice.
New HkS 2m head gasket from AutoGroup 5. The gasket will not drop on both pins that are on the block. Should I drill this out or return it?
thanks

·
Addicted to oil
3,292 Posts
If it doesn't fit onto both pins, something is wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Are you sure you haven't got it upside down or backwards ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I am sure for I tried the other too. The holes for the pins are off about 1/16 and that is enough not to allow the gasket to drop down. I could easily drill it out, but for $250 I think it should be perfect. I was hoping of others had the same problem.

Well, unless someone else has a different opinion, I guess my car will sit for another 2 or 3 weeks well I wait for another gasket. Da** it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats an odd problem. Sure your dowel pins are in straight? I have seen a few pins bent out before thats why I ask.

·
Addicted to oil
3,292 Posts
Thats an odd problem. Sure your dowel pins are in straight? I have seen a few pins bent out before thats why I ask.
That is possible, but the pins are pretty short to bend. And if they were bent, the head wouldn't fit either.

·
boost'en down 101
1,284 Posts
i would bring it back. my "cheap" felpro hg fit perfect. just like the one i took off. it looked like it was decent quality. so if your hk$ didn't fit i would bring it back. like you said for $250 if it didn't fit i would be pist off. if other peoples fit fine there has to be something wrong with the hg. you sound like you know what your doing so i think you would have figured it out if the hg was fine.

·
Registered
559 Posts
happened to me...i just filed the hole ever so slightly. mine was off maybe less than 1/16 tho, i had a 2mm stopper. looked like one of the holes wasnt big enough.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Strange problem, maybe its I've used a ton of these and never had that issue, maybe it's some type of mistake..... try another and if it does the same thing than maybe its something with your dowel pins.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
happened to me...i just filed the hole ever so slightly. mine was off maybe less than 1/16 tho, i had a 2mm stopper. looked like one of the holes wasnt big enough.
You nailed my problem to the tee, but I want it to be perfect so I am going to try and send it back.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
I've done at least 4 7M's with HKS MHG's and they always fit a little tight on an old alignment dowel. Keep in mind that an MHG install calls for getting the block properly decked to at least 30 RA by a machine shop, and most machine shops (at least, the ones that have any business working on a 7M) will replace your alignment dowels with new ones after decking your block.
Now, we all know HKS is far from perfect and there's no telling if they've changed a source or machine shop component since they made all the gaskets I used, so eyeball it real carefully to make sure its just that the dowel is a little snug and not that the hole is actually off axis.

In the past I've just slid them down over the dowel with a little force and I've had no issues. I'd rather have a tighter fit to ensure a perfect gasket alignment than the slightly sloppy tolerances seen on some other gaskets. The Grex/Greddy MHG's are also a little tight on the dowels too.
Don't worry about getting it all the way perfectly flush to the block surface, just make sure that the block is properly surfaced for an MHG and that there's at least a couple mm of the dowel sticking out above the gasket so that you can align the head properly.

Once you rest the cylinder head onto the block it should flatten the gasket out properly, and then just torque accordingly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I double and tripled check the fit. The holes are just to far apart from each other. You can see a clear space. Group 5 where I purchased the gasket gave me the run around yesterday. The owner promised to follow up after he made some calls. I called HKS and talked to some lady today. She just made me very angry. She made it sound like there is nothing wrong with the gasket and for Group 5 to get a warranty claim and my money refunded, they would have to look at the gasket and that would take 3 weeks or longer. I told the lady, that was not acceptable. I could not wait for 3 weeks or longer to get my car running. I hung up in discuss.

I did not want to purchase an HKS gasket for their customer service had already made me anger when I was seeking purchasing advise as to the correct thickness. I made 10 calls that day and every time when someone would pick up the line, they would discount the call. I did have on call go to voice mail and I left a message to call, but no one did. I even wrote an email to the President and I never heard anything from him/her. I have nothing good to say about HKS after this experience. I wish and I recommend to use Cometic gaskets next time.

As for Group 5. The owner did call me back. He is sending out another head gasket. He thinks the new gasket will be bad too since they were made in the same batch. I might have two bad gaskets by Friday and more money then I can afford right now out on my credit cards while I have to wait for HKS to allow a claim.

Once again, do not buy HKS products.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts