Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the hks racing bypass valve strictly a bypass valve, ie does it have to be recirculated into the intake? or can it be run atmospherically vented?

I read somewhere it is for cars with ~300 hp?? That seemed a little low considering its got to be the same size as a type s, which is advertised for 450 hp. What size is the valve?

if you have heard it, can you describe the sound? I have only heard one description so far, and no sound clips. I currently have a type s but dont like the shriek they make.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,708 Posts
Bump for an answer.

I don't want the noise as well and I think our cars (if still using the AFM) are happier (SP) with the air being recirculated.

I just bought a very new looking XSBoost recirc valve for 60.00 on Ebay but have yet to install.

I would be interested in better options if this one does not work out.

Dan

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
there are 2 diff ones, the standard (~$100) and the racing (~$200).
ive heard it on a 7m in a video clip (i havent been able to find it yet, still looking) and it sounded similar to the blitz whoosh. i talked to the guy and he said he loved it fwiw.
the racing type is available in diff spring rates which is pretty cool.
you might also look into the new greddy type rs. it has an adapter to fit on the outlet to reroute to the intake. it is kind of a go between the type s and the type r w/ a 40mm valve. it sounds like a whoosh as well w/o the whistle on the end like the type s but not the gobble sound like the type r. i have the rs valve and it is a very nice valve for the money imo.

hth

dave

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
HKS Racing Bypass is by far the best BOV I ever had. I LOVED it. The wicked sound it made was wonderful and it held 20psi on my TO4E no problem.

The HKS Racing BOV is not recommended unless you are around 500rwhp or above. It pretty much won't open at any power level less than that.

Most are pleasantly surprised to find it uses the same flange as the Greddy so if you already have a type S on there, swap it for this. You won't be disappointed. It is THE BEST BOV I had. And I pretty much had them all (RFL, Type S, Blitz, HKS SSQ, HKS Racing Bypass, and HKS Racing BOV Type 2.)

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
Trent said:
The HKS Racing BOV is not recommended unless you are around 500rwhp or above. It pretty much won't open at any power level less than that.
so your saying that it wont open unless you have 500whp, that sounds pointless. what about regular driving and light boosting you saying it wont open?? whats the point of that?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doh, i ment to ask about the standard bypass valve, not the racing bypass.

so its good to only ~ 300 hp?

can it be run vented to atmosphere?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
mullenc525 said:
doh, i ment to ask about the standard bypass valve, not the racing bypass.

so its good to only ~ 300 hp?

can it be run vented to atmosphere?
Standard bypass will be fine for up to 400-500. I've taken the standard and the racing bypass apart and they are virtually identical. You can buy replacement springs for them as your boost and power increase as well.

The HKS RACING BOV is just what it says. It's not meant to be a BOV you drive with around town or everyday. It's meant for racing applications. It will open at lower boost, but very slightly. Mine stayed closed at anything under about 10psi before it would even start to make a sound.

The Standard or Racing Bypass will be fine for anyone though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts