Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm ill, not sick
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

HKS sell little inserts for the SSBOV that supposedly change the sound the BOV emits. Has anyone used these? There is a gold one and a purple one available. Do either one of them make the cool "choo-choo-chooo" noise. I've heard that is actually a bad noise indicating compressor surge. Does any good BOV make that cool sound of the first HKS SBOV?

All responsed will be appreciated.

Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
I have the super sequential and it makes the "chu, chu chu" sound and it only makes the sound when I have the car in the sequential turbo setup. I know others who said its normal I don't think that it is a bad sign but please elaborate if you or anyone else can!!!!

·
I'm ill, not sick
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read somewhere that the HKS SSBOV is a two stage valve that has either 2 valves (one small, one large) or a 2 stage valve. 1 valve opens for lower pressures or the valve opens less for lower pressures, then the second valve opens for greater pressure or the valve opens more for the increased pressure. . . whew, that was a mouthful!

Hope that helps.

I was more intersted in the functionality of the inserts available to change the sound of the SSBOV. Any takers?

Thanks!

V

·
0 Posts
I am running the purple insert. It has a lower frequency than the standard one. I chose it because it was more discrete. I know there is a gold one which has a higher frequency than the standard one.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
Choo choo chooo is compressor compressor compressor surge. Run the stock BOV in conjunction to eliminate this. It is minor though and usually only when you let off at lower RPMs/Boost so it will take a while to cause any significant damage, if any. If you want a valve that makes that noise, that is nuts!

Adam

·
STREET STOMPING JEDI
1,039 Posts
I have used the gold insert and was pissed. IT sound sexactly liek the stock one only it makes your engine bay look corny with the gold insert. IF you inspect a gold next toa siler you willsee that they are identical. I mena EXACTLY identical. We looked at the two from every angle and no difference was noteable, at all.

The purple will make it quiter though.

IF you run your stock BOV as well as your SSBOV it will make it a bit quiter as well, and possibly help compressor surge though the feedbakc on this is iffy.

Ben..

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
Obiwan said:
I have used the gold insert and was pissed. IT sound sexactly liek the stock one only it makes your engine bay look corny with the gold insert. IF you inspect a gold next toa siler you willsee that they are identical. I mena EXACTLY identical. We looked at the two from every angle and no difference was noteable, at all.

The purple will make it quiter though.

IF you run your stock BOV as well as your SSBOV it will make it a bit quiter as well, and possibly help compressor surge though the feedbakc on this is iffy.

Ben..
I had compressor surge side by side with another BPU+ HKS SSBOV supra who did not have compressor surge and had the same HKS SSBOV+Stock. I put in stock valve same day. All compressor surge was gone. Completely. The stock opens very quickly and is ideal for smaller boost amounts. The larger HKS is ideal for boosting far beyond stock. I can quote 3 others that this is the same for. I did not notice any decrease in sound volume from using the stock valve as well as the HKS.

Adam

C

·
0 Posts
Adrocktt said:

I had compressor surge side by side with another BPU+ HKS SSBOV supra who did not have compressor surge and had the same HKS SSBOV+Stock. I put in stock valve same day. All compressor surge was gone. Completely. The stock opens very quickly and is ideal for smaller boost amounts. The larger HKS is ideal for boosting far beyond stock. I can quote 3 others that this is the same for. I did not notice any decrease in sound volume from using the stock valve as well as the HKS.

Adam

How hard is it to install a stock BOV on a intercooler pipe? I know welding needs to be done but about how much $$ do you think it will cost and who can perform this task?

Also where is the best place to put it?

P

·
0 Posts
Adrocktt said:

Adam
Adam, based on what you said, do you think I can get away with just my SSBOV when I add a T-78 (or comparably sized single?). I just put the damn thing on, and I'd hate to change it. What about adjusting the nut to make the BOV harder to actuate?
Paul

P

·
0 Posts
ps I put the purple insert on b/c I got tired of the "chirping" noise that comes with the SSBOV. I'm not sure the purple insert is quieter, but it sounds more like a "typical" BOV--I'm happy I made the change.

H

·
0 Posts
paul_c said:

Adam, based on what you said, do you think I can get away with just my SSBOV when I add a T-78 (or comparably sized single?). I just put the damn thing on, and I'd hate to change it. What about adjusting the nut to make the BOV harder to actuate?
Paul
The HKS Racing Type 2 uses the same flange so no worries on swaping down the road if you do get into any trouble..

P

·
0 Posts
HKSRwinRz said:

The HKS Racing Type 2 uses the same flange so no worries on swaping down the road if you do get into any trouble..

Yeah, I know, but it's time and money.........

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
paul_c said:

Paul
The HKS SSBOV is a great option for the T78. You will need another SSBOV for a dual set. This should be enough for almost any set up. They react very fast with a large turbo like that and this is the exact set up I am going with. The racing is very nice as well but you must sell your current BOV, get used to another non adjustable sound and possibly lose money on the swap. I would stick with the HKS SSBOV.

Adam

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
chester said:

How hard is it to install a stock BOV on a intercooler pipe? I know welding needs to be done but about how much $$ do you think it will cost and who can perform this task?

Also where is the best place to put it?
What turbo set up do you run? The HKS SSBOV pairs should be fine for a single. The racing and godzillas also have no compressor surge with about a T63 on up. If you are stock twins you should weld the SSBOV to an IC pipe and put the stocker back in place where it belongs. I am not sure who could weld a stock BOV in place but if you do find out, please let us know as most singles have light compressor surge when they let off during spooling. I would love to go with a pair of SSBOVs or the racing paired with the stock BOV.

Adam

R

·
0 Posts
Obiwan said:
I have used the gold insert and was pissed. IT sound sexactly liek the stock one only it makes your engine bay look corny with the gold insert.
I pulled this straight from the HKS website:

The HKS SSQV silver triple-fin discharge design produces a powerful and unique aggressive blow-off sound along with added visual distinction. Additional triple-fin inserts are available in gold (standard high frequency sound) for visual appeal and in purple metallic (emits a lower frequency sound than both the standard and gold SSBV inserts) for an alternate sound and appearance. SSQV inserts are easily interchangeable within minutes.

sorry man... :cool:

-R

1 - 17 of 17 Posts