Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i fired up my car and took it out on the streets boostin' away. last season my HKS SSQV worked just fine, and today it seemed to be struggling to open to the second stage. the screw has not been touched from last season when it worked well. is there any sort of maintenance for these things, like lubricating moving parts inside? i am starting to wonder if something is sticking inside the unit. it hasn't been used all winter pretty much. i backed the screw off to the point that it fluttered from just revving it, and even still it wouldn't make the high-pitched piercing blow off that it's supposed to, even with 6 pounds or so. any ideas as to why it's not working the way it should?

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
its prolly broke...happened to my friends bov too...contact HKS or u culd try taking it apart and fixing it yourself

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it still does make the sound, but it struggles. i have to boost and then let off the gas really sharply. i don't think broken is the case, but it definately is struggling more than usual.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
maybe u need mroe than 6psi for it to work good :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Yeah 6psi usually won't open the bigger spring. It usually takes at least 8 or 10 in my experience to open it. Then again it's been three years since I had the stock turbo, so I may be wrong. It might just need a little extra love. Sometimes on mine I'd have to let the car warm up for awhile before it would work. And after an entire winter, you may just want to call HKS and see what they say and maybe take it apart and clean it up and use a little wd40 in a couple places.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i'll give that a shot. maybe it just needs to be worked in a little bit. thanks to both of you guys for your help. i'm just afraid of compressor surge from it not opening enough.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
mine has the same problem from time to time (especially when cold) heres how to fix it as my experience has taught me.
1. turn on car and let it warm up.
2. ran your normal boost (8-10 should work)
3. get a straight strech of road and punch it in 3rd
4. build full boost and left off sharply
5. repeat as necessary.

i think the larger valve has a tendancy to stick (maybe because of oil in the intake and coating the inside of the bov and when it warms up it thins out) but so far good results and have never had a problem in the summer time when things warm up. {shrug} just my 2psi...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man i think you are dead on it. thanks a lot. is there any harm in spraying a bit of WD40 into the opening of it? will it damage anything?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i dont know really bout the wd40. the only thing that would worry me is the little rubber sealer possibly having a bad reaction to it but i doubt it would hurt. i still think its on the inside (the part that attaches to the flange) rather than something on the outside as it seals so i dont know how much wd40 would make it into the inner workings to lube it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts