Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im shopping for a quality bov that wont cause compressor surge at a low RPM like my ARC does now. Ive heard the HKS SSQV is good for any boost level, even low pressures. What is the general concensus on the HKS SSQV and has anyone purchased one from ebay? Also, are the HKS SSQV's adjustable? ive heard some say they are and some say they aren't. Thanks

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
HKS SSQV is a great blow off valve. YOu can change the insert to change how it "whistles". They are not adjustable. From what ive heard the first series they made were adjustable. Ebay... I dunno. There are counterfeits out there.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
you will probably want to pick up the recirc kit with it. havent bought mine yet, but after the new gauges thats the next addition.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The new SSQVs are not adjustable. That are freaking awesome sounding though, especially inside the car. Causes slight moments of running rich if you are running an AFM'ed car (metered air leaves between shifts, causing a moment of richness) BUT like I said they sound great, love mine. If you recirculate it kiss the sound good-bye. I deal with a moment here or there of richness, it doesn't hurt your car or performance....but I am installing a piggy-back management system very soon (on the way) So that will no longer be a problem.

·
Member *****Supra's
1,069 Posts
there not adjustable because they are "sequential"

and it deff wont cuz surge.. my twitters at 0psi.. pretty sweet, but if it gets hot and you turn your car off and the bov like locks up if it gets cold quickly sometimes, than ill turn my car on and ill boost and itll surge like two or three times than it willl open again.. idk but they do sound sweet! and work most of the time lol

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hks ftw!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
my ssqv has been giving me a ton of problems, i tried to find the link but there was a guy on supramania with a huge post on all of its flaws. i'm on my second one (both old version) and they both have leaked. i have a turbo xs bov i'm going to try now instead...

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
I had the older style with the adjustable pre-load. It was fine for stock, but once I started going with larger turbos it started giving me problems. Either it was getting dirty and worn out with age, or it just couldn't vent enough for my application.

For a while I ran both the SSQV and my TiAL 50mm. Now I'm just using one TiAL unit.

·
It might run right......?
1,492 Posts
Exact same as brent i tried SSQ and had issues with it went Tial on all my turbo cars havent looked back.

·
Supra Hoarder...
958 Posts
love my ssqv, you can remove the insert all-together, and you get a nice woosh..

Im recirculating mine, but due to it's location on my particular set-up, im cutting holes in the body for the gigantic 1" hose..!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the new unit, no problems out of it, running around 11 psi now. That sound kicks ass, HKS! HKS! Wish HKS wasn't so expensive on every little thing they sell though.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a HKS SSQV on mine and every now and then I hear a faint bit of surge.
It's not all the time but it's still there..
This is on stock boost/turbo.

·
Proud MKIII Owner
2,407 Posts
I've heard just as much bad about the SSQV as I've heard good, and I have no personal experience with one so my input is useless. Interesting thread none the less. Lots of bad experiences with them it seems! BTW, don't get an Ebay knockoff. They are truly junk! lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts