Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased one of these to use on my NSX and thought here would be a good place to get a rough idea of the spool charactoristics on a 3L six.

I have done a search here and the general consensus seems to be that this is not a particularly good turbo??? Looks like I should have searched here before spending my money.......

Any way, I would like to hear if there are any updates from people using this turbo. Spool charactoristics and performance compared to other similar turbos would be helpfull.

Thanks....

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Though I don't have it, I had interest in that turbo so I watch here for any posts about it. I definitely do not have the impression that the general consensus here is that it is not a good turbo. It seems to be quite a good turbo but the price premium HKS asks for it seems out of line with the performance compared to some other similar sized turbos.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, well that's good to hear.

The few posts I read seemed a little negative, one in particular comparing the HKS to a T67. Of course tuning always plays a BIG part though. I guess it's hard to imajine that HKS would put that much effort into a turbocharger (custom comp cover, etc) if it didn't perform.

The aussie dollar is fairly strong at the moment, and the price I got was very good so it wasn't outrageously expensive. When i jigged up the manifold I actually used a T88 38GK, so there is plenty of room for upgrades if required :)

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
PM member velocity111. He just had an HKS T04Z (1.0 a/r) and 264 cams installed on this car and he loves it. His car is an auto, with a 3000 stall, IIRC and an SP-built Stage II or III (I don't recall which) Toyota tranny. Power was limited to 580 whp to protect the tranny.

I've got another buddy with a 6MT headed this way in the very near future. I'm guessing his car will open a lot of eyes as it relates to this turbo. I've read the same thread you referenced in the BoostLogic subforum. Very little reliable HKS T04Z info available and, as you noted, tuning, or the lack thereof, is always a big deal.

As Nick noted, some are inclined to bag on this turbo for price alone reasons, but HKS dropped the price of the kit substantially in May 2006, allowing its authorized dealers to provide a better deal to prospective customers. Many, many on this board have never seen an HKS kit before it was installed. I've compared a number of HKS single and twin kits side by side to kits from every SF sponsor and some that are not. While they are all high quality, I have yet to see one that matches the off-the-shelf quality of HKS (I'm not referencing grade of SS, FWIW). I'm speaking from an entire kit perspective. This is opinion, but it's based upon my personal observations; not some SF hearsay or group-think comments relating to turbo kits in general. Good luck.

Ken.

·
Old School
4,065 Posts
I've got another buddy with a 6MT headed this way in the very near future. I'm guessing his car will open a lot of eyes as it relates to this turbo.
Hey, call Alex and twist his arm for me, lol.

I'm hoping the next 6 weeks or so (the sooner the better) will see a T04Z 1.0AR installed & tuned on my car with no other changes to the setup I currently have.

Should be an interesting back to back comparison. All done on 91 octane.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I drove one (a T04Z car), I can't say I was overly impressed with the turbo. I think the (unnessicary for a 3L) anti surge cover hurts the spool.

·
Old School
4,065 Posts
^ We shall see.

At the worst, it'll still look pretty. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to go with the .81 for now, so spool should be pretty good.

Just out of interest, I have a 7 page product information broschure from HKS regarding the T04Z. I thought I lost it and searched all over the internet for a copy to no avail. I eventually found a hard copy and it reveals some quite interesting aspects of the turbo, including response and power comparisons compared to T04R, AX75F82 and T78-29D. Of course the Z comes out on top.

Also do you guys know of the patent HKS has that applies to the z & 51R's?

·
Old School
4,065 Posts
I'll sing the Australian National Anthem if you'd scan & post that brochure.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Yes, please do scan and share that T04Z brochure! I for one am interested in this turbo as well. As already mentioned, few have tried it on their Supras here, and spool up characteristics vary so greatly from car to car, depending on other supporting parts, the tune, ect. I'm definitely considering this turbocharger when I go single, perhaps next year.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I would also appreciate seeing this HKS brochure. For better or worse, I'm humming it now ;)

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm getting there.... Had problems with the scanner last night so I downloaded a new driver, etc. I'll try again now......

·
Old School
4,065 Posts
Thanks friend.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
thanks bud. I can stop humming now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just got my T04Z kit last week. I can definately give you some more info on it after I get it installed in a few weeks.

~Asim

·
Old School
4,065 Posts
Asim, what will you be tuning with?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts