Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow supra dudes,

I have a chance to pick up a new HKS T51R KAI cheapish.
I am shooting for 800 hp at the flywheel. My local turbo shop tells me to go with the T72 with a .96ar.
Just wondering what you guys think, I have all the supporting mods including some TRD group A cams,
AEM EMS ecu, JE, Crower, ARP, full Ferrea valve train, Aeromovitve fuel system, water/methanol injection,
dry sump and a whole lot of other stuff I cant remember atm, been buying this stuff for years.
Anyway should I go with HKS (kinda got the cool factor to) or the T72, or any other turbo you might think is better.

Thanks in advance, lee

·
Definately NOT 1J
406 Posts
The T51R Kai is roughly 71mm Trim though its apparently a cracking turbo, but you would ideally need to compare the compressor maps of the Kai and the t72 especially to see how they actually suit the 7M. The T51R SPL is 76mm and is a very good turbo if you can get your hands on one. Dont think any of those turbos will make the numbers you looking though? i could be wrong. An SP71 81a/r Q-Trim would see around 650 RWHP

·
Registered
927 Posts
bondango said:
The T51R Kai is roughly 71mm Trim though its apparently a cracking turbo, but you would ideally need to compare the compressor maps of the Kai and the t72 especially to see how they actually suit the 7M. The T51R SPL is 76mm and is a very good turbo if you can get your hands on one. Dont think any of those turbos will make the numbers you looking though? i could be wrong. An SP71 81a/r Q-Trim would see around 650 RWHP
Either of those turbos could do what he wants and more...

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Just remember those turbo's love high revving motors. I would not touch the head ( porting out ) if you want a quick spooling T51R. The exhaust housing is somewhere in the 1.05-1.10 A/R if I remember correctly.

If your going all out and want a high revving 7mgte, do what HKS did:

2.8 destroke crank (custom $2-3K )
longer rods, custom pistons and wrist pin height. Since the more rod you have the better the chances of handling some HUGE power.

Knife edge the heads reversions and put larger valves in.

That should handle that turbo quite well! I have been thinking of going that route on my 7m here this year. T51R if I can aquire one. But a GT35/GT40 R might be the turbo for me

-Jonathan

3,796 Posts
Thought you were gone.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Meh, yes and no....It will make it that much more worth it of course...but even a 67(what i have) can do over 500whp on pump gas at 18psi or so as it is, so just run 30psi on some race gas and you're easily at 800 crank...He's talking about turbos a fair bit larger than that

Hell, someone I know locally has a gt42 on a 7M...stock rev limit

In any case though, he already said that he has a standalone, all the parts for a built bottom end and head.....Should have no problem doing 8k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input,

I have read about high revving 7m's before, but on a standard crank and stroke you think 8k is safe.
I know I have all the right bits to make safe power I was not planning to go over 7k.
Is 800hp on pump gas (99 ron) with water/methanol @ 50/50 with the HKS T51R KAI possible ?
When you say they love high revving motors are we saying that it is a very laggy turbo say 4k ? spool
and by time it gets going and making full boost say 5k ? your heading rapidly towards your stock red line ?

Lee

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
water/methonol mix's do wonders for turbocharged vehicles!

99ron and that would make it VERY easy to hit your mark of 800hp.
And yes, those T51R's spool around 4K from motor to motor. I guess the best one to use as an example would be a 2JZ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts