Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

So a friend of mine bought a HKS T51R turbo a couple of years ago, but since the increase of fake and non-legitimate copies are being made I was hoping someone could take a look at the pictures of it and help me verify if it is a legitimate T51R or not.
Its brand new and has never been used, just been sitting on a shelf.

Now I've done some research myself and it does not look good since:
1. There isnt a plaque on the housing with a "garrett" sign
2. No garrett stamp can be seen on the housing
3. It look a bit rough around the casting, mainly the height of the "HKS T51R HKS" letters.
4. I have not seen anyone verifying the KAI turbo, only the SPL, but the font on the plaque looks alright to me.

So what else is a dead giveaway?

If its a fake, oh well, thats a shame.
If it genuine, amazing!

Pictures:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Silver Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Grey

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread Material property

Blue Automotive design Home appliance Airplane Aircraft

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive design Automotive lighting

Edit:
Been trying to verify with the help of THIS guide

·
Registered
641 Posts
Without knowing anything about it, that turbo looks too clean to be an original T51 as i would assume most original turbos would have some wear and tear. So either its the world cleanest original, or its fake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without knowing anything about it, that turbo looks too clean to be an original T51 as i would assume most original turbos would have some wear and tear. So either its the world cleanest original, or its fake.
Well yes, he bought it from a guy who never ran it so supposedly its brand new and the price he said was too good to be true.
So we've decided its a fake but we are mainly just guessing since we have no experience with this kind of turbo.

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
SN and font on the compressor cover look authentic to me. But the Chinese companies that make these fakes are often quick to 'improve' their fakes. The lack of balancing cuts on the turbine wheel is worrisome. I know of at least two folks in NZ that were selling fake T51R's on eBay and a few other places. They didn't specifically say they were fake, but they did list the origin as China and did not list HKS as the manufacturer.

Can you post a picture of the data plate on the CHRA itself? The little plate riveted between the water port and turbo oil feed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SN and font on the compressor cover look authentic to me. But the Chinese companies that make these fakes are often quick to 'improve' their fakes. The lack of balancing cuts on the turbine wheel is worrisome. I know of at least two folks in NZ that were selling fake T51R's on eBay and a few other places. They didn't specifically say they were fake, but they did list the origin as China and did not list HKS as the manufacturer.

Can you post a picture of the data plate on the CHRA itself? The little plate riveted between the water port and turbo oil feed.
Hey,
This would be the only plate which is still left on the turbo:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Rim

No other plate can be seen, such as the bigger one with the date stamps unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
This is frustrating because there's details that are both wrong and right for a genuine T51R DBB.

The Non-DBB cartridges especially the older T51R's usually had a two-rivet dataplate that told the whole story, including the model 'T51R'. One such example is on ebay right now for $3500. DBB T51R's didn't have that larger plate, they had a small plate just like that one.

But I don't see a balance stamp on the compressor wheel, nor index marks on the compressor and turbine blades to mark the balance point. This is present on 100% of the genuine T51R's I've examined especially when brand new or near brand new.
I haven't seen one of those 'small tag' DBB cartridges held on by a single small bolt that listed the model(T51R DBB), they'd only have a serial number (top line) and the Garrett Turbo Inc part number (bottom line)... But the data on both is consistent with a genuine Garrett T51R Kai DBB. But the tag is also held on with a rivet not a small hex head bolt like most I've examined in person.

Is there a small 'Garrett' stamp on the compressor housing backplate at all? Are there any other numbers or letters there?
Is the correct HKS and 1.00 on the turbine housing? Pictures of those would help, as would a clear picture of the turbine inlet V-band flange, to show the grooves on the flange mating surface itself, would also be useful.

The absence of the balance stamps and paint on the compressor and turbine wheels are the major red flag so far. As is the exact shape of the turbine wheel's 'hub' for want of a better term.
Other details present or absent in the housings themselves might clearly show it's a fake or show it as genuine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is frustrating because there's details that are both wrong and right for a genuine T51R DBB.

The Non-DBB cartridges especially the older T51R's usually had a two-rivet dataplate that told the whole story, including the model 'T51R'. One such example is on ebay right now for $3500. DBB T51R's didn't have that larger plate, they had a small plate just like that one.

But I don't see a balance stamp on the compressor wheel, nor index marks on the compressor and turbine blades to mark the balance point. This is present on 100% of the genuine T51R's I've examined especially when brand new or near brand new.
I haven't seen one of those 'small tag' DBB cartridges held on by a single small bolt that listed the model(T51R DBB), they'd only have a serial number (top line) and the Garrett Turbo Inc part number (bottom line)... But the data on both is consistent with a genuine Garrett T51R Kai DBB. But the tag is also held on with a rivet not a small hex head bolt like most I've examined in person.

Is there a small 'Garrett' stamp on the compressor housing backplate at all? Are there any other numbers or letters there?
Is the correct HKS and 1.00 on the turbine housing? Pictures of those would help, as would a clear picture of the turbine inlet V-band flange, to show the grooves on the flange mating surface itself, would also be useful.

The absence of the balance stamps and paint on the compressor and turbine wheels are the major red flag so far. As is the exact shape of the turbine wheel's 'hub' for want of a better term.
Other details present or absent in the housings themselves might clearly show it's a fake or show it as genuine.
i know for a fact that the turbo does not have a ”garrett” stamp on the housing because I showed him a picture of an HKS turbo which had. He said no ”garrett” stamp anywhere on this HKS T51R KAI BB

I will be back if he replies with the other information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts