Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I've opened up the throttle body, and attempted HKS TRAC eliminator kit install. Kit consists of two precisely machined alloy plugs, with o-rings. It enables you to completely remove the TRAC TB "butterfly" and the axis it turns on. Cost $75 from Powerhouse. Instructions came in Japanes only....or was it Chinese LOL....anyway, didn't understand shit, despite 3 small drawings.

From the get-go it was a nightmare. First portion of removing the TRAC TPS and actuator went smooth. The TRAC butterfly was a different story....it has two screws that hold it together fastened onto the axis. Those are two small brass screws. Needless to say both SOBs stripped just like that. I had to drill em out. After finishing that, I was barely able to remove the TRAC plate, and then spent like an hour trying to remove the axis bar. Two brass plugs held it together on top of two ball bearings. Finally, I was forced to bang it all out. That did the job.....install of the HKS plugs was easy and took no more than 15 minutes. TB looks much cleaner now....and it even weighs a pound less LOL.

I'll post a pic later tonight. FYI

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right.....it doesn't pay off to do things by the book.....dammit

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
how do you bypass the thrown codes after trac removal??? i dont have a TRAC ecu. will i need it in order to clear the codes?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey MONSTER, I'm actually in the middle of doing mine ( HKS ) and know what u mean about the stripped screws and such. Anyway was curious if you got any error/warning lights because of the disconnected sensor and motor. Just wanted to know if everything was fine after the install, should have mine done tonight. thx

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
TaintedSC said:
Hey MONSTER, I'm actually in the middle of doing mine ( HKS ) and know what u mean about the stripped screws and such. Anyway was curious if you got any error/warning lights because of the disconnected sensor and motor. Just wanted to know if everything was fine after the install, should have mine done tonight. thx
monster was banned a long time ago!

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
i dont have my trac connected because of a broken connector on my TRAC. how do i clear my ABS and Sub throttle TPS engine codes(41, 47) without removing the TRAC itself????

·
Registered
473 Posts
TaintedSC said:
I'm also working on mine. Any issues with removing the trac motor and disconnecting the sensor? I saw a post some time ago and both were removed. The owner put a aluminum plate where the motor use to sit.

·
1,720 Posts
kevganzon said:
i dont have my trac connected because of a broken connector on my TRAC. how do i clear my ABS and Sub throttle TPS engine codes(41, 47) without removing the TRAC itself????
ABS, I belive will be an issue for you since you did the tt swap and probably didnt use the speed sensors. So, I am told. As for the TRAC issue, Ive read in a thread you stick a 10ohm resistor in the harness clip. Im not posotive, do a search.

·
Registered
473 Posts
2JZ-GTE said:
Do you have to remove the throttle body to complete this mod??

I recommend it. Chances are you'll have to drill out the two brass screws that hold the plate in place. They're a real pain to get out. Both mine snapped in the middle of the threads and from what I've read everyone else seems to have had the same problem. You'll want to make sure you get all the metal filings out. Good luck!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Red Supra said:
Or you could have welded the holes on both side of the tb and be done with it for about 20bux.
I did it JB weld MKIV.COM style, it workes and looks great.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I simply made a block off plate that bolts up to where the actuator and sub-TPS used to be... It was much better than JB welding the holes or welding it up. The plates took me about 5 mins to make, and gives the same type of clean look as the HKS inserts :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts