Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a hks triple disc in my car, it holds power great! However the engagement is a little to "harsh" for daily driving. I am thinking on switching to the exedy triple disc as I have a great source on them and have heard many good things about them. My thing is I dont want to be back in the same situation I am in now with a super harsh non slippable setup.

Any input?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
ktrends said:
I currently have a hks triple disc in my car, it holds power great! However the engagement is a little to "harsh" for daily driving. I am thinking on switching to the exedy triple disc as I have a great source on them and have heard many good things about them. My thing is I dont want to be back in the same situation I am in now with a super harsh non slippable setup.

Any input?

Thanks in advance.
ktrends,

I have neither clutch, but a good friend of mine had the HKS triple and just switched it out to the Exedy twin disc. I know your question was regarding the Exedy triple, but he is VERY enthusiastic about the manner in which the Exedy twin disc engages and drives. He's AMMO on this board and you might want to contact him. Also. I believe BLK MGK, also on this board, has the Exedy triple. If so, I'm sure his input will be excellent as always. Hope this helps.

Ken.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
I must say, in the case of the exedy twin carbon disk, if it can hold your power (900 lb-ft) it is well worth consideration. It has virtually stock pedal pressure, and can be slipped with ease. Launching on a hill is no problem, even at rediculous power levels. Engagement is short, but always smooth, I had my clutch adjusted such that it took only a quick one inch stab to disengage the clutch between gears, making shifting, both up and down, extremely quick thanks to the quick disengagement and, in the case of downshifting, thanks to the lightweight flywheel. The clutch has a soundtrack much like any other lightweight unit, but it will have excellent driveability compared to most high hp clutches i've driven. If you are one to accept the compromise between any lightweight flywheel setup and driveability, that is, have driven a lightweight flywheel supra before and had no problem with it, I beleive the this one of the best clutches in terms of street manners and power potential.

Of note: the exedy twin disk is a carbon-metallic clutch, that is, it uses disks of metal sandwiched between the carbon disks. this is what allows the butter smooth engagement, unlike other carbon clutches which use carbon on carbon contact. One design is not necessarily better than the other, but provide different driving characteristics to the clutches. I removed my clutch at about 3500 miles, and upon inspection, found virtually no wear to any of the surfaces, both metal and carbon. I had driven the first 500 miles like any other break-in period, but hit full boost many times thereafter, and slipped it all the time while on the street. The only thing I did not do was a full on drag launch; my car is not setup for that. So despite the use, and LOTS of slipping driving under normal conditions, the clutch still had the factory metallic concentric machining rings in the metal disks, and the carbon was not noticeably worn at all. Technically speaking, the clutch, after 3500 miles, was not broken in yet. I expect, based on this information, the wear rate to be extremely slow compared to most pure metallic and carbon clutches. I could only compare the wear rate to about 50 miles of use on a standard metallic disk and flywheel surface. Finally, when the time comes to rebuild it, if ever, rebuilds can be had for just $450.

·
Inline for the win
4,763 Posts
Kale,

Your input is great, but I believe the current issue with the Exedy is that no one has or has gave feedback on the capabilty of drag launches with this clutch.

I am in a precidment currently on debating whether I should take the hit for RPS C/C or go witht the HPF Feramic. I still have interest in the Exedy, but this is the gray area that I would like to know more about before I make my purchase.

Anyone else care to chime in on this issue?

DP

·
Registered
875 Posts
Suprafied said:
Kale,

Your input is great, but I believe the current issue with the Exedy is that no one has or has gave feedback on the capabilty of drag launches with this clutch.

I am in a precidment currently on debating whether I should take the hit for RPS C/C or go witht the HPF Feramic. I still have interest in the Exedy, but this is the gray area that I would like to know more about before I make my purchase.

DP
i'm curious about the drag capablilities of the exedy triple as well

·
Annoyed SF Member
922 Posts
I still have nightmares about my HKS triple....good luck with your choice and keep us updated. I would comment on what I switched to but it would get bashed since the clutch question around here seems to have many answers with no clear solution.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Suprafied said:
Kale,

DP

I have a RPS C/C pro discs, chromemoly flywheel. My car currently has stock twins on it, but I'm soon going to big single. This clutch kicks ass. I haven't had a chance to slick it up and take it to the track, but I've slipped it pretty hard on the street and it's great. When you first put it in, it's pretty harsh, but engagement got smoother and smoother up to about 600 miles, I currently have a little over 1K on it. I'm driving my Supra everyday now too, in between work beaters. This is a low 9 second/1200HP capable clutch, yeah the price is steep, but it's rebuildable, and RPS(Rob) seems like a good guy that stands behind his product.

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
I have the EXEDY Stage 5 Tripple.

The clutch has very good street maners in the way that the clutch engages. The pressure plate has the same clamping force as the stock one so the pedal pressure is very much like a factory clutch in the way that it feels.
The EXEDY has pretty short take up, about an inch to disengage. The tripple is very noisy with the tranny in neutral, both with or without the clutch pedal being pushed in. The clutch is rated for over 1000 pound / ft of torque.

The EXEDY Stage 5 Triple is not carbon, but ceramic and ferrite; I would bet it is very similar to the material that HPF uses in their Feramic clutch.

I love the way that this thing drives on the street. :)

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
WEST said:
I have the EXEDY Stage 5 Tripple.

The clutch has very good street maners in the way that the clutch engages. The pressure plate has the same clamping force as the stock one so the pedal pressure is very much like a factory clutch in the way that it feels.
The EXEDY has pretty short take up, about an inch to disengage. The tripple is very noisy with the tranny in neutral, both with or without the clutch pedal being pushed in. The clutch is rated for over 1000 pound / ft of torque.

The EXEDY Stage 5 Triple is not carbon, but ceramic and ferrite; I would bet it is very similar to the material that HPF uses in their Feramic clutch.

I love the way that this thing drives on the street. :)
Where did you buy yours from and how much? PM me if don't want to post it here :)

·
Con CaC May
434 Posts
I got my Exedy Triple for 1450.00. So Cal.

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
I think I got my tripple for $1400 including shipping. :)
I wish I could remember where I got it from... :dunno:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm running the triple exedy i think stage five, or whatever they rate top end (no springs, a lot of noise, the works). Before i was running the HKS triple for about 1 year and approximatelly 15,000klm of hard core street racing, drifting, double clutching etc. my findings are:

HKS triple

Very short engagement, (on - off switch)
Very light clutch pedal (this is beautiful IMO)
The more you heat it up the more it grabs
Very light , rpm go up like crazy
Not very strong construction on the studs that hold the pressure plate, i broke 2 of them and the PP was destroyed etc. etc.

EXEDY triple

About an inch of engagement, smoother than the HKS but still an on-off switch.
A little bit heavier than HKS, rpm climb up fast , but not so fast as the HKS.
Clutch pedal is almost like stock pressure, maybe a bit more
My RWHP is 7xx on pump, and it still holds up
The construction is stronger and the bolts used are instead of M6 in the HKS, all M8 Allen hardened, very difficult to brake for sure.

Because i blew up the HKS it doesn't mean it's not very good. The diameter of the discs is bigger in the HKS, but the pressure plate springs are stronger in the EXEDY. The EXEDY is louder when you press the clutch, but i prefer it for every day driving, and since it holds up to my nuclear driving, i guess it's not to shabby.

Another very nice clutch setup is the RPS carbon carbon, which engages like bone stock, it's so easy to drive, but so heavy pedal feels OMG. My knees are not the best (from skiing) so for me the RPS was out of the question. I heard though that it gave up after 5,000klm in a friend's car, and then they had it rebuilt for not too much. But still it's too early IMO.

As for these clutches IMO EXEDY is the best value for money and for sure it keeps up with my crazy HP. RPS is the best for everyday, but i don't have an opinion on durability. HKS is the best to buy used, they sell them for like 400-500$ coz they can't drive them.

The other clutches out there are for lower numbers, but i tried many 6 pucks and they alll suck bad, i hate them, and they last 2,000klm if that. When the company tells you i have done 50 passes on it, this is like one Thursday night out in Athens racing. Try to drift with a 6 puck and if it lasts more than 2 hours you should be happy.

Stock clutch with a stiffer pressure plate is good, but then again i hate the stock flywheel, so it's out of the question.

I don't have an opinion about the OS clutches and the other Japanese clutches, but i guess they should be like the exedy and the hks ones.

Cheers
Dimitri

·
Registered
875 Posts
dk_supra said:
I'm running the triple exedy i think stage five, or whatever they rate top end (no springs, a lot of noise, the works). Before i was running the HKS triple for about 1 year and approximatelly 15,000klm of hard core street racing, drifting, double clutching etc. my findings are:

HKS triple

Very short engagement, (on - off switch)
Very light clutch pedal (this is beautiful IMO)
The more you heat it up the more it grabs
Very light , rpm go up like crazy
Not very strong construction on the studs that hold the pressure plate, i broke 2 of them and the PP was destroyed etc. etc.

EXEDY triple

About an inch of engagement, smoother than the HKS but still an on-off switch.
A little bit heavier than HKS, rpm climb up fast , but not so fast as the HKS.
Clutch pedal is almost like stock pressure, maybe a bit more
My RWHP is 7xx on pump, and it still holds up
The construction is stronger and the bolts used are instead of M6 in the HKS, all M8 Allen hardened, very difficult to brake for sure.

Because i blew up the HKS it doesn't mean it's not very good. The diameter of the discs is bigger in the HKS, but the pressure plate springs are stronger in the EXEDY. The EXEDY is louder when you press the clutch, but i prefer it for every day driving, and since it holds up to my nuclear driving, i guess it's not to shabby.

Another very nice clutch setup is the RPS carbon carbon, which engages like bone stock, it's so easy to drive, but so heavy pedal feels OMG. My knees are not the best (from skiing) so for me the RPS was out of the question. I heard though that it gave up after 5,000klm in a friend's car, and then they had it rebuilt for not too much. But still it's too early IMO.

As for these clutches IMO EXEDY is the best value for money and for sure it keeps up with my crazy HP. RPS is the best for everyday, but i don't have an opinion on durability. HKS is the best to buy used, they sell them for like 400-500$ coz they can't drive them.

The other clutches out there are for lower numbers, but i tried many 6 pucks and they alll suck bad, i hate them, and they last 2,000klm if that. When the company tells you i have done 50 passes on it, this is like one Thursday night out in Athens racing. Try to drift with a 6 puck and if it lasts more than 2 hours you should be happy.

Stock clutch with a stiffer pressure plate is good, but then again i hate the stock flywheel, so it's out of the question.

I don't have an opinion about the OS clutches and the other Japanese clutches, but i guess they should be like the exedy and the hks ones.

Cheers
Dimitri
+1 for taking the time out to post up a great review.

if we all did this we would all save each other a lot of wasted money buying parts that don't do the job. it's one thing to read the advert for a part but to hear real world experiences is much more informative and reliable.

Demitri do you take your supra drag racing much? and what sort of 60ft times have you been able to get with the exedy clutch?

edit/ i was about to buy the rps carbon carbon twin plate (light flywheel) , but heard from a friend who had bought that clutch and had it die after 1 year of weekend driving.

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
On / off switch? LOL... I guess you have never used the AZ disc or the RPS stage III.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Drag Racing, no i haven't done any. i have done a lot of traffic light racing though. To tell you the truth the way to really launch nice with the exedy to me is something like this.

Setup the antilag and 2 step on the AEM. Keep the gas down at 80% and set anti lag rev limit 5800rpm, then when ready floor it and get like 5800 with about 1.5 bars of boost. Slide the clutch and let it bounch to the redline for 1 sec, (5 times), then shift to 2nd without letting the foot of the gas. and that's about it. This way you pop a lot of flames too, it's not to bad to light up the city when you're racing.

My car by the way, is an everyday driver, with about 60miles (100klm) per day, so i have it on for about 1 year now and it still holds up.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
I have no experience with the Exedy ...it sure looks very nice and I've heard favorable reports about it... but I'll add my routine, rare and controversial plug for the other guy. I've had my HKS triple for about 4 years now and other than the short learning curve during my initial experience with it to get used to the pedal and grab, it still works as good as the day I got it with no sign of any distress whatsoever, it sure does hold any power my measly BPU (435rwhp/455rwtq) has thrown at it including plenty of street launches but no drag strip action and a lot of DE type track days where I find it to be awesome and with the LW flywheel it revs/spools almost immediately upon request, and now that it's so well broken in I can slip it however I want to under any condition. I drive it on most nice days so it gets plenty of daily driving duties. My pedal movement from "start-to-grab" to "pedal release" is about a couple inches, plenty for me to work with and I don't have that slave cylinder mod I've heard about; when it finally wears noticeably I will rebuild it and keep it for a few more years unless one day something unexpectedly blows up in there.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
WEST said:
On / off switch? LOL... I guess you have never used the AZ disc or the RPS stage III.
The AZ clutch disc (gen I and II) were/are fairly easy to drive. I did it for years, but they don't hold anything near what Woon claims.

The HKS triple is on/off switch feeling, however, with enough seat time it's slipable and fine for everday driving. I would never drag with that clutch though. :stickpoke

Exedy looks to be a good alternative...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts