Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a chart a few months back on here that listed most of the HKS turbos and their components as well as the potential HP Output of each max. The HKS site has a chart thats similiar but it doesnt list max power output. Does anyone have the chart with the HP? Or know where its posted?

Also... Im currently running the 2835's and I have been thinking of upgrading to one of the 3037's models. Is anyone familiar with what the expected gains would be with such a swap? Are we talking mostly higher dyno numbers and more lag? How much more lag?
The HKS chart at the website lists an output figure for each turbo as an "SP" number but its not clear to me what that means. Are they talking cfm when they list those "sp" output numbers?

I am interested in getting an accurate sense of the +'s & -'s of making the turbo swap and if there would be much of a real world/track gain.

Or would this swap be more like running 1,000CC injectors in a car that only needs 720 and having your AFC dialing back all that unneeded fuel?

Anyone out here running the 3037's these days?

·
Not compensating at all
185 Posts
Raretoy said:
I saw a chart a few months back on here that listed most of the HKS turbos and their components as well as the potential HP Output of each max. The HKS site has a chart thats similiar but it doesnt list max power output. Does anyone have the chart with the HP? Or know where its posted?

Also... Im currently running the 2835's and I have been thinking of upgrading to one of the 3037's models. Is anyone familiar with what the expected gains would be with such a swap? Are we talking mostly higher dyno numbers and more lag? How much more lag?
The HKS chart at the website lists an output figure for each turbo as an "SP" number but its not clear to me what that means. Are they talking cfm when they list those "sp" output numbers?

I am interested in getting an accurate sense of the +'s & -'s of making the turbo swap and if there would be much of a real world/track gain.

Or would this swap be more like running 1,000CC injectors in a car that only needs 720 and having your AFC dialing back all that unneeded fuel?

It's more lag than you want for a streetcar, the 3037's are considerably bigger than the 2835's. What A/R turbo do you have now? And which were you looking to upgrade to? That's a huge factor as well. With my previous set-up 2835's/720cc injectors/264 cams and HKS alphabet soup I made 700+rwhp.
I would think with the 3037's w/1000cc's you could probably make around 850-950+. But I don't know for sure, just an educated guess.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Raretoy said:

I dont know exactly what chart youre talking about, but one thing to consider is which 2835's are you running? IIRC they come in different trims (compressor side) with the 56 trim being the largest. I think that those in twin format are good for nearing 800 wheel, although i could be wrong. HKS seems to rate their turbos at the wheels. For example the T04R is rated at 650-700ps, which is like 1.01hp, so lets say 640-690hp, that turbo has done over 650 wheel on at least a couple occations.

also, before you upgrade to 3037s you may want to think about another option. GT2835R's use a bigger turbine than the normal ones and flow another like 25hp each supposedly.

and if you decide you do want more power, there is always the 3037S's and they flow even more than the 3037s.

as for the "sp" number, if you mean PS, then thats what they rate their cars in, as in restricted to 280ps, its really like 277hp, JGTC GT500 cars are limited to 500 ps aka 495hp...

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll see if I can grab the trim info for the ones I have and then post it later today. The chart I saw here on forums was perfect. It listed everything for each terbo HKS had including max HP capabilities. Anybody see it please holler at me. I remember thinking when reading the chart that most of HKS power ratings were conservative and that it was easy to find guys using them turbos to higher dyno figures over on TO4R.
My goals are high. Ive got the split durations cams, the Type R intercooler, the SP enginering Intake with blue TB & rail, currently running 850cc but 1000cc can be bought, DLi, Titan gears, AEM coming. Basically when I look over everything here and whats planned the only weak links or question marks I still have are the turbos ( 2835's ) and the bottom end. My goal is 800-900 wheel. I see guys doing it with stock bottom end so that leaves the turbos. Just wondering if I can get to the high 800 level with these or if a swap should be in the cards. I will post up the trim info on these later.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Raretoy said:
I'll see if I can grab the trim info for the ones I have and then post it later today. The chart I saw here on forums was perfect. It listed everything for each terbo HKS had including max HP capabilities. Anybody see it please holler at me. I remember thinking when reading the chart that most of HKS power ratings were conservative and that it was easy to find guys using them turbos to higher dyno figures over on TO4R.
My goals are high. Ive got the split durations cams, the Type R intercooler, the SP enginering Intake with blue TB & rail, currently running 850cc but 1000cc can be bought, DLi, Titan gears, AEM coming. Basically when I look over everything here and whats planned the only weak links or question marks I still have are the turbos ( 2835's ) and the bottom end. My goal is 800-900 wheel. I see guys doing it with stock bottom end so that leaves the turbos. Just wondering if I can get to the high 800 level with these or if a swap should be in the cards. I will post up the trim info on these later.
i went and did a little research for you...and made a "hks-based" list. This is what they say each of their turbos are capable of (as a single mind you)

GT2835 48 trim: 380ps/376hp
GT2835 52 trim: 400ps/396hp
GT2835 56 trim: 410ps/406hp
GT2835R: 420ps/416hp
GT3037 48 trim: 420ps/416hp
GT3037 52 trim: 440ps/436hp
GT3037 56 trim: 470ps/465hp
GT3037S 52 trim: 450ps/445hp
GT3037S 56 trim: 480ps/475hp

hope that helps, with twin 2835R's i bet you could do 800rwhp.

for 900 youd probably need the 56 trim 3037s or 3037Ss.

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
Jon,
this is probably the chart you are talking about.

I would go w/ 2835R. 3037s has too much lag for a street car IMO.

·
4,109 Posts
ok, from what I can tell, the chart lists manufacturers in the following order:
HKS
Greddy
Apex'i
Blitz
Who is the last column?

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
i agree, and blitz uses borg warner/kkk turbos in case someone wanted a source.

i dont know who that last column is

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Raretoy said:

Rare,

The SPE/TRD widebody (on the June 2003 cover of Turbo) did 826 whp at 29-30 psi. That car has 1000 cc injectors, 272 cams, stock rods, JE pistons, no head work, VeilSide intake and HKS ti exhaust. I don't remember what versions of the 2835s are on the car, but its in the article. I'm guessing you mean the VeilSide intake when you referred to the "SP intake with blue TB and rail"? This car also has the VPC/GCC combo. Don't know if the peak power number would be any different with the AEM, but power under the curve could be better, although SPE (Shawn Wang) can work magic with the VPC/GCC. Of course, more power is available with the 2835 Rs. Hope this helps.

Ken.

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, Thanks for all the information guys helps to fill in a few blanks! Ken, Yeah I did mean the Veilside set up. I will have to dig out that JUne Turbo mag.
I do have the 52 twim turbos so it looks like I should be capable of 800. With everything else done to the car maybe there is a chance to beat that. If not I will most likely upgrade these because I would like to hit 850-900 at the wheels. Perhaps the 2835R's would be perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts