Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installation is done, when I turn on the car:
1) The Turbo Timer beeps and then powers on.
2) When I go to drive, I can get RPM and Speed readings
3) When in auto timer mode (for turbo timer shut down), I see dynamic values on the turbo timer - showing me that is works

But when I go to any of the timer settings and turn the car off, the turbo timer shuts down along with the engine?!?!?!?!

Now I do have the factory alarm and a code alarm installed as well. Maybe this contributes to the abnormal shut down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Don M.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
did you connect the hand break safty ??

did you use a harness or hard wire it ???

Q

·
0 Posts
I just finished the install and had the same problem. You have to connect the Grey wire to the parking brake switch wire.

If you pull up the center console, look towards the drivers side and you will see a small which connector wrapped in foam. I think the wire is brown/yellow, tap the grey wire into this brown/yellow wire and it should start working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RanGer498, QuikSilverTT - Actually, I purchased and used the tt-4 harness for the Supra 93.5-95 (I have a 94 Supra Turbo).

But You know what, I will recheck the the safety, emergency brake, line.

I appreciate your time and help.

Let me get back to you guys.

Thank you very much.
DonM.

Q

·
0 Posts
If you want to test the unit, just take the Grey wire and ground it. Then turn the ignition on and off and the countdown should begin along with the display blinking red and blue. You don't even need to turn the car on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, YES - it works!!!

You guys were right on the money with your suggestions concerning the safety hand break connection.

Per QuikSilverTT's suggestion to hardwire the handbrake wire to a ground, I turned the ignition on and then off, low and behold, the timer started to count down blinking red and blue! I realized that the crimping thingy did not connect the turbo timer wire to the Supra's handbrake wire perfectly together.

Thank you for your time, for it saved me close to $100 bucks (cdn dollars) - was gonna get a professional to check it out.

Happy Holidays!!!

DonM.

Q

·
0 Posts
No problem. Glad it worked for you.

Hey Don,

Could it be possible for you to fax the English directions to me? I received the Timer as a gift, but only Japanese directions.

Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
What do you guys think about NOT connecting this grey wire to the hand brake switch? Is this a big no no?
Trying to avoid digging under the console?
If you think that it's OK not connecting, then what would be needed to fool the timer? Where else could this grey wire be connected to?

Thx,

Jay :cool:

Q

·
0 Posts
Jay,

You don't have to connect to grey wire to the handbrake wire, but it is good safety feature so you don't accidently drive off while on Timer mode. The handbrake wire is very easy to find, it is under the shifter console on the driver's side of the shifter. It has a small 1 wire connector that is wrapped in foam.

If you prefer not to connect the safety circuit, then just wire the Grey wire to ground and it will work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Supra_10 - the panelling overtop the gear shift and housing the ashtray is very easy to pop off! Just make sure you remove the ashtray first. And like QuikSilverTT said, once the panel is off, it is a grey wire closest to your driver's right leg, wrapped in a grayish foam.

To confirm that it is the emergency brake, pull up and activate your emergency brake and then just separate the wire harnesses and notice that your emergecy light turns off.

DonM.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
QuikSilverTT,

You brought up a point that I didn't think about -- when I thought safety, what I really had in mind was ensuring that the car won't drive away by itself while unattended. Didn't occur to me that one might start driving while in timer mode.
I am going to connect the handbrake wire!

BTW, this issue of the car driving away on its own reminds me of this small aircraft that took off by itself, and then crashed about 25 miles away. Happened last week. Turns out that this aircraft is notorious for doing it...

dmercado,

Is it as easy to access that wire on an AUTO?

Thx for your input guys.

Jay :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
supra_10 - Yes, it is easy to access on an automatic gearshift. In fact, my car is an automatic. Promise, it will take you less than half a minute, try it.

QuikSilverTT - were those links to the HKS documentation good for what you were looking for?

Let me know.

DonM.

Q

·
0 Posts
Yes Don, thank you.

Did you not get my email? I sent a "thank you" email couple of days ago. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Held off from asking, but what is the best setup for working around the turbo timer shutting the engine off and the auto unlocking of the door locks?

Problem is that I set the turbo timer, take out my keys, shut off head lights, open door, lock doors with the push button, and shut the door - then leave the car. But when the engine shuts off, the doors automatically unlock!

I've been safe for the little while, because my second alarm arms automatically after the engine shuts off but, again, the doors are left unlocked.

What have you guys done?

Please let me know, thanks.

Don M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts