Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a used Apexi set up including an AVC-R boost controller and the Apexi AFC fuel controller. I have already installed the HKS VPC and am not sure of the compatibility of the AFC. I am only assuming that the AVC-R can run completely seperate from the fuel control, but I'm not sure if the VPC and AFC are compatible. Any body have any clue??

thanks, Thrifty

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Thrifty said:
I am interested in purchasing a used Apexi set up including an AVC-R boost controller and the Apexi AFC fuel controller. I have already installed the HKS VPC and am not sure of the compatibility of the AFC. I am only assuming that the AVC-R can run completely seperate from the fuel control, but I'm not sure if the VPC and AFC are compatible. Any body have any clue??

thanks, Thrifty
The VPC and AFC are perfectly compatible if you install the AFC correctly.

The instructions that come with the AFC are WRONG. Do *NOT* install the AFC on the VPC's blue wire for the pressure sensor.

Install the AFC on a VPC car the same way you would on a non-VPC car -- on the MAF wire going into the ECU. The only difference is, this wire isn't coming from the MAF anymore but rather from the VPC head unit.

Simple as this: cut the yellow wire on the VPC harness going from the VPC head unit to the ECU. Connect the VPC side of this yellow wire to the AFC's input wire (white, I think). Connect the ECU side of this yellow wire to the AFC's output wire (yellow, I think).

Then splice the other necessary wires for the AFC for power, ground, "blue wire mod" into the o2 to see your o2 sensor voltage if you want.. etc.

Andi

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That all makes sense, but can you tell me what makes the AFC so great and necessary for fuel measurement? What is it that will help so much over using JUST the VPC?

thanks, Thrifty

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
The VPC isn't a tuning tool at all. All it does is get rid of the MAF and allow you to run bigger injectors.

You need an SFC-R, AFC-R, or GCC to tune the fuel at various RPMs.

Andi

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
who about a HKS super AFR? will it be better than a AFC? since it is an HKS product ,will it be more easy to hook up with the VPC and more compatable?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds better. That's what I thought, but was kinda unsure. It's crazy that it costs almost 1200 bucks just to get rid of the AFM and upsize the injectors. I hope it ends up being worth it. I guess I'll know in a couple of days.

Let me ask you one more thing since you seem to know your fuel issues. I've upgraded my 7M to 550cc's and obviously a 550cc compatible VPC. I'm installing a TT fuel pump and the rest of the fuel system is stock. Now,,,,do I need a fuel pressure regulator and gauge....or should it be ok with a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo??

Let me know any opinions....THANKS

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was actually asking about sensor type when you are setting up the VPC, what setting to use.

j0.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
j0mama said:
I was actually asking about sensor type when you are setting up the VPC, what setting to use.

j0.
Set it the same as with a MAF.... since if you installed the AFC on the VPC correctly you installed it AFTER the VPC on the simulated MAF signal going to the ECU...

throttle up and to the right
6cyl
1 sensor
Sensor type Hotwire 12/12

Andi

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
For some reason my S-AFC wont show throttle position %, and the intake manifold pressure will not read over 760mmHg. Something wrong? The car runs great and boosts fine. I checked to make sure everything is hooked up right.

Everything on mine is set at zero. Is there a safe setting I should put it at just to be sure I am not runing lean?

Bob

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks... Im gonna try it this weekend. I tried it the way it said in the manual with the blue wire, and had NOTHING but problems...

The car stalled on me in the intersection and couldn't get it restarted for 10 minutes, (I ended up ripping it out). If this works well I will have my GCC for sale.

j0.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts