Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just shouting out there to anyone using the VPC ( i got the idea from another guy in the regular mk3 section, he has one on his car).

I was wondering, what system's you are using in conjunction with the VPC.....

How does it perform agains the stock AFM systems ( or the Lex/550 set up of that matter)?

Is there any benifits or drawbacks to this older style device?

is it as easy to put in as a AFC or boost controller ( splicing wires and such).....tuning?

I searched yes. Not really one dedicated thread to the HKS VPC on here at all...nor for the mk3 supra turbos.....weird.

but again, post if you have any good references or first hand experiance....or if you just know what you are talking about, LOL..

thanks guys,

Jonathan Mann

·
Search
3,305 Posts
I'm going to make a thread with all the info I know assuming the guy i'm buying mine from comes thru.

I'm running, currently, an emanage/e01 setup.

the way it will be setup is |VPC|===|eManage|===|ECU|

the VPC changes the air temp and pressure signals into a KV signal, the emanage modifies that signal to what you want it, and then the emanage feeds it to the ECU.

I have not read a negitive thing in any thread containing 'VPC' here, or on supra mania, other than its expensive.

yes, its easy if you have common sence with wiring and take your time, and if you have any questions, make sure you ask 'em.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so can i splice the VPC into the stock wiring harness and feed the signal into the stock ECU WITHOUT a stand-alone or piggy back set up?

is the VPC capable of doing that?

......and I will be running even 650-700cc injectors.....I am planning on a turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid with a 68 exhaust A/R.....spool quick and the whole turbo is rated at 580hp......62 trim compressor housing etc.....externan WG and such as well :)

Like i said earlier....the Lexus AFM is great and would get the job done ( my 450whp goal, getting into 7mpower LOL)....BUT it just still is restrictive.....to an extent..

and the "no afm, straigt into turbo" look itself is worth it to me. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
simann said:
so can i splice the VPC into the stock wiring harness and feed the signal into the stock ECU WITHOUT a stand-alone or piggy back set up?

is the VPC capable of doing that?

......and I will be running even 650-700cc injectors.....I am planning on a turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid with a 68 exhaust A/R.....spool quick and the whole turbo is rated at 580hp......62 trim compressor housing etc.....externan WG and such as well :)

Like i said earlier....the Lexus AFM is great and would get the job done ( my 450whp goal, getting into 7mpower LOL)....BUT it just still is restrictive.....to an extent..

and the "no afm, straigt into turbo" look itself is worth it to me. :bigthumb:
The VPC is supposed to have it's own harness that bridges it between the stock wiring harness and the ECU.
Also, if you plan on using large injectors, you have to have the right chip to put in the VPC.
I'm running a VPC with an SAFR. I spliced the SAFR into the VPC harness.
I also run a Profec A that was incorporated before the other mods.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
the harness is a great idea, after installing my emanage, e01, and wideband I definatly think its worth the money, however, they are not the most common thing. the VPC harness is 5 wires, power, ground, AFM output, TPS and RPM (not 100% on the last two) so just solder those into your ECU. Ba bum bum bum.

And I don't THINK you need a piggy-back, hopefully someone who's already runnig it can confirm. I think when you install it, y ou get a signal just like your AFM puts out, so no need for a piggy-back till you want to tune it.

obviously, once you need to start adjusting airflow you need to get a piggy back.

and the "no afm, straigt into turbo" look itself is worth it to me.
:agreed:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Justin said:
the harness is a great idea, after installing my emanage, e01, and wideband I definatly think its worth the money, however, they are not the most common thing. the VPC harness is 5 wires, power, ground, AFM output, TPS and RPM (not 100% on the last two) so just solder those into your ECU. Ba bum bum bum.

QUOTE]

??

My VPC harness has all the wiring that the ECU harness has. It completely bridges the ECU harness to the ECU. There are 2 smaller harnesses that branch from the VPC to the VPC harness, 1 with 4 wires and 1 with 6. The one with 4 has a plug extension to be able to plug and play the GCC.
I don't know how hard they are to get nowadays as the VPC is pretty old but they were pretty common back when I got the VPC.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,911 Posts
I got my vpc harness from HPF.com. I am useing the emanage with it and think it's the best to use with the vpc. Everything is simple to use. What's up Will!;)

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"plug it in to the AFM harnes"...

so you take the AFM plug ( female) and splice the VPC AFM wire(s) into it then? And then where do you put the air pressure meter from which it gets it MAP signals from?

-Jonathan

PS: Great answers guys! This is exactly what i was hoping to hear! :)

·
Search
3,305 Posts
I have a install file at home I can send you when i get there later tonight, it tells where to mount the sensors. all the wires need to be spliced at the ECU... the AFM input to the ecu... cut that and solder the wire that the VPC is outputting an KV AFM signal on to the wire that's inputting the signal...

damn that's confusing :rolleyes: I will make a picture when I gehome... i'm not very good at communicating what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
I got my vpc from HPF.com. I am useing the emanage with it and think it's the best to use with the vpc. Everything is ewal simpl to use. What's up Will!;)
Hey Anthony, everything's on cruise control. Doin' fine. I hope your project's going well.
So, the emanage is the next best thing to standalone? I was thinking of going AEM depending on the price difference. If the emanage is that much cheaper, I might go that route. Of course, I could always sell the VPC to offset the cost of the AEM but which do you think is the best route? I've had the VPC for at least 7 yrs.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suprawill1 said:
Hey Anthony, everything's on cruise control. Doin' fine. I hope your project's going well.
So, the emanage is the next best thing to standalone? I was thinking of going AEM depending on the price difference. If the emanage is that much cheaper, I might go that route. Of course, I could always sell the VPC to offset the cost of the AEM but which do you think is the best route? I've had the VPC for at least 7 yrs.

WOW! Well when you want to sell it, contact me!

7 years! thats a long time, and trouble free eh? Thats why they say "you get what your pay for"...HKS doesnt use cheap parts...its well worth the money!

I cant wait to get mine! I just cant stand that restrictive AFM housing and unit itself...just not ment to handle HP loads.

-Jonathan

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
VPC is overrated. Like you guys said its a five wire install. Just another scaling device like the lex afm or an safr, except this one adds a maf sensor. It does the same thing a MAFT does.Not worth the money IMO.

Ang

·
Search
3,305 Posts
SuprAng said:
VPC is overrated. Like you guys said its a five wire install. Just another scaling device like the lex afm or an safr, except this one adds a maf sensor. It does the same thing a MAFT does.Not worth the money IMO.

Ang

The only thing that is similar to the MAF is that it removes the AFM, but the VPC doesn't replace it with another device in your intake tract.... (other than a tiny temp sensor)

is it worth the money? that's a great point, and the answer is probally no unless you exceed the hp of the lex or MAF, but its pretty damned cool to get rid of the AFM (IMO)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
i always thought it used a air temp + pressure sensor?

Either way its the same thing as a maft. If anything a maft is better since it has more options. VPC was good back in the day when not so much aftermarket was available. I guess its cool if you get it cheap but i see them go for 500+ and think why?

How does one exceed the hp of a stock afm? Like i said VPC is just another scaling device, if youre gonna pay that much money at least get something that can control timing too. If getting rid of hte afm is your concern - MAFT - 200 bucks new, doesnt require chips for injectors and has a whole bunhc of other options.

Ang

·
Search
3,305 Posts
It does, but the pressure sensor doesn't go into the intake tract, it just pulls a line like a boost gauge or somthing.

Either way its the same thing as a maft. If anything a maft is better since it has more options.
how does an maft have more options? you still have to have a maf measuring air flow... the VPC measures preasure and air temp so there's nothing in the intake tract...

How does one exceed the hp of a stock afm?
i meant airflow, sorry :)

If getting rid of hte afm is your concern - MAFT - 200 bucks new, doesnt require chips for injectors and has a whole bunhc of other options.
what other options are there for the maf/t? from what I've read you have blow through, or suck through mode, with a few slight adjustments...

for the price the maf is definatly a great setup, I woudl be a fool to argue otherwise :)

SuprAng said:

Either way its the same thing as a maft. If anything a maft is better since it has more options. VPC was good back in the day when not so much aftermarket was available. I guess its cool if you get it cheap but i see them go for 500+ and think why?

How does one exceed the hp of a stock afm? Like i said VPC is just another scaling device, if youre gonna pay that much money at least get something that can control timing too. If getting rid of hte afm is your concern - MAFT - 200 bucks new, doesnt require chips for injectors and has a whole bunhc of other options.

Ang

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Justin said:
It does, but the pressure sensor doesn't go into the intake tract, it just pulls a line like a boost gauge or somthing.
yep it needs a pressure sensor and an air temp sensor. The MAJOR flaw in the vpc system is that the air temp sensor gets heat soaked.

i meant airflow, sorry :)
What does this mean really? i mean i can see spool time increasing by 50-100 rpm, but i doubt anyone has ever maxed out a stock 7m afm to the point where its restricting flow, or moreso a lex afm.

what other options are there for the maf/t? from what I've read you have blow through, or suck through mode, with a few slight adjustments...
well no chips, selectable injector sizing, both modes, hz clamp, cheap sensors, and the 5 adjustment points.

for the price the maf is definatly a great setup, I woudl be a fool to argue otherwise :)
I even think that a maft is useless, since its another scaling device. But compared to a vpc which back in teh day ran 1000 dollars. I would prefer it.

Dont get me wrong, im not bagging the vpc, just my opinion on cost vs benefit.

Ang

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Dont get me wrong, im not bagging the vpc, just my opinion on cost vs benefit.
I really do agree, its very expensive, and almost not worth it, but totally removing a flow measuring device (AFM, MAF) is a big plus to me, and whoever started this thread :p

yep it needs a pressure sensor and an air temp sensor. The MAJOR flaw in the vpc system is that the air temp sensor gets heat soaked.
I have not heard 'bout that before, I'll have to look into that a bit more.

What does this mean really? i mean i can see spool time increasing by 50-100 rpm, but i doubt anyone has ever maxed out a stock 7m afm to the point where its restricting flow, or moreso a lex afm.
If no one has ever maxed out the 7m AFM why do people upgrade to the lex? For more airflow to allow more fuel to allow more boost, right? (seriously, is that right?)

well no chips, selectable injector sizing, both modes, hz clamp, cheap sensors, and the 5 adjustment points.
yah, those are good benifits, I didn't take hz clamp, or adjustment points into account since i'm running, and from what i read most people are running, a piggy back as well... the injector sizing selction and no chips is definatly a good thing to have :)

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the Lexus AFM has a higher fuel cut setting vs. the stock AFM from the supra. Funny how it worked out......hhehehe

Wow, that was alot of quoting in this page too! Hahahahhaha

But good info guys! Keep it coming!

-Jonathan

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
yep people just run the lex afm because its easy, they slap 550s and are able to boost higher. Once again only scaling device and a bandaid. If only there was a way to control timing.

Afms arent as bad as people make them out to be. Sure is nice to run a nice big pipe off the turbo to filter though. And of course the running rich with a vented bov and cost etc etc.

Ang

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
a few notes:

-you SHOULD use some AFM scaling device (SAFC, SAFR, eman, etc.) in conjunction w/the VPC. the VPC's KV output is rather dirty and this typically leads to a crappy idle and other quirks. using an AFM scaling device after the the VPC allows the scaling device to "clean up" the signal.

-with regard to the heat soak issue, mount the IAT in the IC pipe right before the TB. though it works better if you have a FFI.

MNSHO:

don't waste your time/$$. the alphabet soup method of modding/tuning is OLD. the VPC is OLD. there are far better routes to go- you'll spend nearly $1k on a VPC + AFM scaling device, save up a bit more and get the AEM EMS and you'll have 200X the functionality. or cheap out and get a MAFT or something.

there really is no reason to get rid of the AFM, it's a proven fact the lex AFM will flow over 600rwhp, who here is going to be running anywhere near that power level? no one.

in short, save your pennies kiddies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts