Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an hks vpc coming in within a couple days. The owner wasn't sure what sensors were included with it

i know i need the following

hks vpc
harness
a chip (stock fuel)

but what sensors do i need with it and how much do they run, as im sure he doesn't have the sensors included...

temp sensor? map sensor?

thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
MyKarIsVicious said:
i have an hks vpc coming in within a couple days. The owner wasn't sure what sensors were included with it

i know i need the following

hks vpc
harness
a chip (stock fuel)

but what sensors do i need with it and how much do they run, as im sure he doesn't have the sensors included...

temp sensor? map sensor?

thanks
curtis you will just need the temp sensor and the map sensor. I just checked hks usa's website and the temp sensor is $55 and the map sensor is $155. The sensor harness is also $32 just incase you need it. I am sure you can get those pieces for cheaper through Dusty or another dealer. Do not forget to get the adaptor for the temp sensor to screw into if it was not included. I bought that for about $10 iirc from Dusty a few years ago.

carlo

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
balticMKIV said:
curtis you will just need the temp sensor and the map sensor. I just checked hks usa's website and the temp sensor is $55 and the map sensor is $155. The sensor harness is also $32 just incase you need it. I am sure you can get those pieces for cheaper through Dusty or another dealer. Do not forget to get the adaptor for the temp sensor to screw into if it was not included. I bought that for about $10 iirc from Dusty a few years ago.

carlo

what adapter thing are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
MyKarIsVicious said:
what adapter thing are you talking about?
it is the nut that the vpc temp sensor screws into. That nut then in turn screws into the intake manifold. There are two in the picture below but you only need one. I dont quite remember which one you need though.

·
Boost Junkie
12,670 Posts
If I were you I would put the IAT sensor in the intercooler piping, rather then the intake manifold. The intake manifold will heat soak as will any sensor screwed into it, this could cause your car to run lean. I put mine in the lower charge pipe after the intercooler, in the brake duct. This way fresh air is always hitting it and keeping it at ambient temperatures.

Steve K.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I put mine in the intercooler piping in front of the throttle body. The VPC instructions state it should be mounted somewhere after the throttle body. I don't know why. I haven't had any problems having mine mounted in front. And I didn't have to buy that adapter fitting. It cost more than I cared to pay.

·
Registered
300 Posts
balticMKIV said:
it is the nut that the vpc temp sensor screws into. That nut then in turn screws into the intake manifold. There are two in the picture below but you only need one. I dont quite remember which one you need though.

you need the smaller one of the two. its 1/8"npt with a m6 thread in the centre. i just got an old gas fitting and made my own

·
troll.
80 Posts
I took a teflon valve from Home Depot that had an outside 1/8 NPT thread, then drilled it and tapped it to M6x1 - that should insulate the temp probe. I also installed it just after the IC outletso I deal with the potential for heat soak in two different ways.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
VinnieB said:
I took a teflon valve from Home Depot that had an outside 1/8 NPT thread, then drilled it and tapped it to M6x1 - that should insulate the temp probe. I also installed it just after the IC outletso I deal with the potential for heat soak in two different ways.

Cheers
Rich B.
A member named blackbird has done something similar to this mod to deal with the problem of the sensor becoming heat soaked. Here is a link to his tech article on the mod.

http://www.utahracing.com/Tech/VPC/vpc.htm

carlo

·
Wholesome creamy goodness
655 Posts
Also make sure that you install your MAP Sensor to a independent vacuum source rather than the one they say on the MKIV instructions (I think they tapped into a power steering vacuum line which gives erratic readings). I used the left over source on the back of the manifold where the EGR vacuum source was connected (I have my EGR removed)...Darshana S...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts