Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HKS GT1 with the 8psi spring. It naturally boosts to 10psi with 0% duty cycle on the AEM.

I am going to get the car tuned for higher boosts. However, how high can the AEM EMS and AEM solenoid take this WG spring up to. I've heard cars and tuners run a 8psi spring and still see 34psi using the AEM EMS and AEM solenoid or MOTEC stuff. However, they were also using Tial WGs/

The rule of only doubling the spring rate would only put me at 20psi, but I would like to know what people have experienced with such a low spring rate and how high they are able to get boost using the AEM EMS and AEM solenoid. I would like to keep the 8psi spring for traction control in 1st and 2nd gear to stay that low on boost.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I don't think the AEM EMS will be any better or worse than most other electronic boost controllers. In fact a lot of them use the same solenoid. I think you will be limited by the spring/wastegate.

I have a HKS 50mm wg with a 1bar spring. I hit 16psi with just the spring. I am able to hit 34psi with no problems with my boost controller. Maybe higher, but I dont want to push my motor. This is with an Apexi AVC-R which I believe has the same solenoid as the AEM.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It also depends on how you plumb the boost solenoid. Normally you use port 1&2 with port3 vented.
Port 2-3 are connected when the Solenoid is not energized, with your 8psi spring try to use port 2&3 and vent port 1, 100 duty cycle will vent the bottom port of the gate to atmosphere and is like if you pull the WG hose...

Hook it up this way and work your way up.

PORT 1 --- Vent
PORT 2 --- Bottom of WG
PORT 3 --- Boost source, preferably from turbo compressor housing.

Top port of WG will be vented, put the frequency to 27HZ.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
A GT1 is a 60mm gate so back pressure will affect this gate much more than smaller ones. Therefore you have a much smaller range of boost that you will be able to attain. It all depends on back pressure in your setup.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I can't remember exactly which spring setup I used but I know I ran two and tested it off the car first. Car ran 19psi with the boost controller off and would easily boost to 30+ psi with only 40-50% duty cycle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts